Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Earlier this year I was told I could not take the local driverlicense because my ARC was valid for only 11mounth and 20 days and not 12mounts.

Now I got my international license and are now told I can not get it stamped for use in Taiwan because my fucking native country and it’s incompetnet politicians don’t reconize Taiwan and it’s childish politicians that want to take revenge on citizens off countrys that don’t want to play with them. :fume:

Who do I have to kill/shag to be able to drive ligaly here or do I just have to do like I did befour I got the international one witch is to call my girlfriend when I get pulled over and have hear to explain the situation and the police let me go with a understanding look on there face.

I was just at the Taichung DMV and was told that my International Drivers Permit was only good for one month and that they could not extend it for a year. No problem, I’ll just take the test, except I’m on a one-year ARC. I have a resident visa through marriage, but the first ARC issued is only good for one year. Will I not be allowed take the driving test?

[quote=“ChouDoufu”]I was just at the Taichung DMV and was told that my International Drivers Permit was only good for one month and that they could not extend it for a year.[/quote]Which DMV office? The Beitun Rd one validated mine OK.

Same one, Beitun Road.

From what country and state or province did you have your drivers license? I have a New York State drivers license and an International Driver Permit from the New York AAA. They didn’t accept my NYS license for an exchange (I knew they shouldn’t, but I asked anyway). They also didn’t accet my IDP. From all everything I’ve read on-line, an IDP based on a NYS drivers license is only good for a month, but after reading posts on Forumosa, I thought I’d give it a try and see if I could get that extended for a year. Nope. They wouldn’t do it.

Whether possible or not, I’m here for a while, so I’d rather not deal with the IDP hassles and just get a local license. How hard can it be? Not very from what I’ve seen and heard. Worst case scenario or fail the first, treat it as practice and take again. Besides, for $800, I can practice on the course and for a bit more money, I can practice on the course with someone guiding me through it.

It looks like, based on reciprocity, I’m screwed because I’m a resident? NYS recognizes a foreign driver license if the driver remains a resident of the nation that issued the license. You do not need to have a NYS driver license to drive in NYS unless you become a resident of NYS. “The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NYS with the intent to make NYS a “fixed and permanent” place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered “presumptive evidence” that you are a resident of NYS.” CITE. An example of someone living for more than 90 days in New York that are not considered residents are students. Taiwanese students, therefore, should be able to drive legally in NYS for as long as they are students (4 years, 6, 8, whatever) without needing to acquire a New York license. If I were from New York, studying in Taiwan on a student visa, I would try to argue that, based upon the principle of reciprocity, I should be able to drive legally in Taiwan with my NYS drivers license for as long as I am legally in Taiwan as a student. Refer them to the following Web site: http://www.thb.gov.tw/english/left-licences.htm

As for myself, I’m a resident based on marriage, but I only have a one year ARC as I just moved here. And that’s all they give you at first. I’ve I need an ARC that is valid for more than one year, then that means I can not drive legally in Taiwan without leaving the country every month? That seems strange. Also, as a matter of reciprocity, I should be allowed to take the test. New York State doesn’t require anything similar to the one-year ARC requirement, if that is an actual requirement. Actually, what I’ve found on-line seems to indicate that you need to prove that you have lived in Taiwan for one full year. Perhaps this is a translation error?

[quote]III. Required documents:
A. A certificate [i.e. alien resident certificate (ARC)] proving that the foreign applicant has lived in the Republic of China (ROC/Taiwan) for one full year.[/quote]http://iff.npa.gov.tw/enfront/life.php?tr_id=13&id=296">http://iff.npa.gov.tw/enfront/life.php?tr_id=13&id=296

Time to call the DMV. I’m also going to try that 0800-024-111 information line for foreigners.

Same one, Beitun Road.

From what country and state or province did you have your drivers license?[/quote]The UK, which is too small a place to bother with states and provinces!

I checked the reciprocity table and it sames to be the same for New York licenses as for most other places. IDP OK, regular license not. What reason did the DMV give for refusing to validate your IDP for the full term? You did show them your ARC, didn’t you?

As regards getting a local license, I’m not sure about that “have to have lived here for one year already” thing. I remember something about that being a requirement, but I haven’t heard of anyone actually being affected by this particular one.

There’s a possibility that some of the DMV staff might still be interpreting the law to mean “ARC of more than a year total duration”, though.

Have you tried applying for the IDP validation or a local license at the DMV up on Dadushan (west Taichung)? It’s worth a try.

I showed by ARC, IDP, NYS driver license, politely argued, and had my wife (native speaker of Taiwanese and Mandarin) with me. No dice.

But we called the DMV and they said all I need to show is a one-year ARC. It does not have to be MORE THAN one year, just AT LEAST one year and it doesn’t matter how long I’ve been in Taiwan. So I’m just going to take the test.

Although I’ve heard it is easy, I’m going to practice on an instruction course this Sunday with a driving instructor. Renting the course for an hour with an instructor will cost about NT $1200, which seems very reasonable. My main reason for this is that my Chinese is not very good, so I want to be familiar with the course just to be more comfortable and confident. Another reason is that I’d rather pass the thing the first time. I don’t want to keep going back to the DMV. It seems to make more sense to pay for an hour of practice than to treat the first test as practice and have to go back again.

I’ll take the actual test at the DMV. To take the test at any of the driving schools, it seems you have to take the entire one-month driving course. I haven’t decided whether or not to take the motorcycle test. We don’t have a scooter.

Is this standard pricing? 800 without and 1200 with an instructor? Are the prices the same in Taichung?

My IDP is going to expire soon and I will do the test early next year. Does anybody know a “good” course and/or instructor in Taichung (preferably in Hsitun, Nantun or anywhere between Taichung and Taichung Harbour)?

The standard price for the entire one-month course is $8,000 in Taichung. But that is for brand-new drivers. Most experienced drivers will only want to practice a few runs on a course and maybe have an experience instructor give you some tips.

One advantage of the course, not available to those who don’t take it, is that you can take the test at the same location that you practiced it. Some schools have hinted that they have good guanxi with the DMV examiners who test at their schools and that they might be easier on you than if you take it at the DMV. That smells like B.S. to me. But that’s what some schools have claimed. Even if that were the case, I can’t see that minor advantage worth the 8,000, month wait, and time wasted in a class (especially if your Chinese isn’t very good).

The average fee for use of a schools course in Taichung seems to be about $800 an hour. It is not really negotiable, but if you are willing to drive to more inconvenient locations further out of the city, you can probably get a lower rate.

The cost of private instruction is very negotiable. My mother-in-law is a retired school teacher and excellent bargainer who has saved my wife and I LOADS of money on everything from wedding pictures to rent to whatever. I think some Taiwanese still feel intimidated by teachers (I mean “real” teachers, not us young big-noses in blue jeans), especially older teachers. Anyway, we’re meeting with the guy on Sunday and the final price will be set there.

The only bad thing about letting the MIL bargain is that they keep bringing up great deals on two hours or multiple sessions. What the hell I’m going to do for two hours on driving course one sixteenth the size of a Walmart parking lot, I have no idea. But I’m not working now and I’ll just treat it as a two-hour course in Chinese automobile and traffic conversation. :slight_smile:

I’ll let you know how much I end up paying and if I feel it is worth it. If I like the guy, I’ll be happy to recommend him to others, but I haven’t met him yet. Also, I doubt he speaks any English.

[quote=“ChouDoufu”]But we called the DMV and they said all I need to show is a one-year ARC. It does not have to be MORE THAN one year, just AT LEAST one year and it doesn’t matter how long I’ve been in Taiwan. So I’m just going to take the test.[/quote]That’s good to hear. This is the most logical, straightforward interpretation of the law. Just to be clear, was that still the Beitun Rd DMV you called? I heard that at one point they were interpreting things differently.

Yes, it was the Beitun Rd DMV.

I did the practice course for the driving test today. Two hours on a course with the instructor: $1,000. He doesn’t speak any English. But if you speak Chinese or can bring someone to translate for you, I’d be happy to give his contact info. PM me.

I found it useful. It’s all about the sensors. Ignore actual driving experience. I think most experienced drivers have a good chance at passing their first time without instruction, but it does help to get some pointers and have someone explain how the test is graded, when points are deducted, etc.

Overall the instructor was very helpful. The one exception is that you can pretty much ignore everything he says about the paperwork for getting the license, especially health check. He claimed that I would have to wait three months from the time I get my health check until the time I can take the test. Student who take a driving course only have to wait one month and have their health check done first thing at the beginning of the course so they can take the test after the course is done. This, I think, has something to do with driving permits, which don’t apply to foreigners with licenses from other countries.

Hi there,

I’ve got a bit of a spin on the licence issue: I’m presently living in Oz and will be returning to Taiwan for a couple of weeks in December, during which time I’d like to go on a little road trip… However, my Taiwan motorbike licence has well-and-truly expired and I now only have an Australian car licence (but plan to get an international driver’s licence). The question is, can I legally drive a 125cc scooter while holding a valid international car licence and an expired motorbike licence? Can I even rent a scooter with my car licence? Should I just rent a car or completely ditch any road trip plans and take a taxi?

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

The Big Babou

[quote=“The Big Babou”]The question is, can I legally drive a 125cc scooter while holding a valid international car licence and an expired motorbike licence?[/quote]I don’t imagine so.

[quote=“The Big Babou”]I now only have an Australian car licence (but plan to get an international driver’s licence)… Should I just rent a car or completely ditch any road trip plans…[/quote]Sounds like a better idea to me, if you’re willing to accept the financial risk due to inadequate insurance schemes on rental cars here.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Just repeat after Speedy Gonzales,

Epa, epa, arriba, 'riba, andale, yeehaaah!

They won’t know what to make of you. :slight_smile:[/quote]

A friend of mine, who is Korean, got pulled over in America. He speaks perfect English, but the officer asked for a driver’s license - to which my friend replied, “You want a bag of rice?”

The conversation went on for a minute until my friend got really confused and kept asking the officer why he wanted a bag of rice.

Easiest way to get out of a ticket sometimes.

A friend of mine from the UK comes in on 30 day landing visas. Does he need to get the IDP stamped?

If so, what is the deal with having no ARC? He doesn’t have one.

And the government websites in English are down.

[quote=“european”]A friend of mine from the UK comes in on 30 day landing visas. Does he need to get the IDP stamped?

If so, what is the deal with having no ARC? He doesn’t have one.[/quote]My best guess is that he couldn’t get it stamped and that it will probably be OK for him to use the IDP for visiting a month at a time.

But that’s a guess only. Let us know when you find out from the DMV.

IDLs are valid for 30 days after arriving. Thats why residents who stay longer have to get them stamped to get it valid for longer but that is just possible for residents which need an ARC anyway. So he shouldn’t have any troubles, just make sure you have both licences with you (IDL plus the original one from home country as IDL is not valid without it) and that both are still within the valid date.

[quote=“mingshah”]IDLs are valid for 30 days after arriving.[/quote]Are you sure it’s 30 days after arriving, and not from date of issue? The former does seem more likely but I’m not sure, which is why I recommended that “european” check with the DMV.

(I got my IDL for cars by post, four years after “arriving”, and got it validated OK. I’m not sure whether it counted as valid for the few days I held it before getting it validated for the full term).

The DMV told me so in Sept. 2005 when I moved to Taiwan. It doesn’t matter when the IDL was issued as in Austria for example the IDL is valid for one year and you can take it on different journeys to use it. The point (as far as I understood it…) is that within the first 30 days you are more or less like a tourist or visitor but if you stay longer you are seen as a resident so you they want you to make either the local test or get your IDL approved somehow by some officals (not that that would mean much here).

I’m not saying that the previous posters are wrong and I’m right. After a few off-an-on-years here, I have learned that there is more than one way to skin the cat in Taiwan, and more than one answer to the same question.

My credible source–the HR manager of my school who phoned and asked–said that an International Drivers Licence is valid for SIX MONTHS ONLY (IF YOU ARE A VISITOR), but only TWO MONTHS IF YOU ARE AN ALIEN RESIDENT. It is very serious to get caught driving without a licence–NTD 12,000 fine and they take the plate off your scooter there and then. Your insurance is not valid if you don’t have a licence, so God help you if you have an accident.

You must get an ROC licence after that, and your resident visa has to be for a minimum of twelve months. This presents a big problem for us MOE foreign teachers, because our contracts and thus our visas are only for eleven months. You must get your IDL stamped, with a sort of a permit, that allows you to use it for the duration of your contract.