Foreign Spouses now part of national pension scheme

This is effectively a 6% raise. Alas non-spouse APRC holders are left out in the cold.

focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201312310009.aspx

Can anyone find this new law in Chinese?

[quote=“Feiren”]This is effectively a 6% raise[/quote] :roflmao:

This is Taiwan we’re talking about. Bosses will just 1) ignore it, 2) claim it doesn’t apply to them, or 3) reduce foreign staff wages by 6%.

They will certainly ignore it if their employee allow them to. You can check the contributions being made to your retirement account and report employers who do not make them. Taiwanese people do it all the time. An employer cannot unilaterally reduce wages. If they do, you can make a complaint to the labor bureau. I think the majority of employers will reluctantly start making these contributions.

Monkey: It was just passed by the Legislature so it will probably be at least a few months before it comes into effect and the text is online.

This is interesting. What about foreigner spouses who have APRC’s What about those who have their own business or are employees of their own business. Can individuals pay into it who are not working. Can a spouse add you and pay through her employer?

This foreigner is already paying a various taxes to do business and then gets to pay income tax as well. Again he doesn’t understand. he just signs papers and hands them to the family accountant. And pays the tax bill when it comes.

This is important… more info please! Espeically when it comes to small business. I live in a rural area. The family accountant won’t know of the changes unless the link to the Chinese law is quoted. Not his fault. This ain’t any foreigenrs who are married and live. Would that contribution be deductable on personal or business taxes? 6%. ?

Yeah, no one in the government here in Chiayi has heard about it yet.

An update from the China Post:

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/fore … pouses.htm

[quote=“funkymonkey”]An update from the China Post:

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/fore … pouses.htm[/quote]
And this answers the question.I asked. Thank you Funky Monkey.
“According to the BLI, all self-employed citizens will be included in the labor pension plan under a voluntary payment system.”
Is Taipei Times Sleeping. We only have one news paper delivered in the south for some reason

My company is now following this rule, as of January 17th. I’m assuming I have to wait until I’m 65 to get any benefit from this account, right? I’m probably not going to be in Taiwan until then, so I guess I’ll have to see if it’s worth trying to get the money when the time comes. I had previously been getting cash each month in lieu of payment into an account, so eventually accessing the money is now a bit more complicated than before.

Who can i contact for the small business/self employment option? Would the local accountant know?

Sent from my GN800 using Tapatalk

Can I have the name of this scheme in chinese?

I don’t know if this will help, but on the Bureau of Labor Insurance website, there’s a Chinese-language webpage that seems to refer to this matter: bli.gov.tw/print.aspx?a=YnxXM9tJiSM%3D

On that page, Google Translate translates “勞工退休金條例” (“Láogōng Tuìxiū Jīn Tiáolì”) as “Labor Pension Act” and “勞退新制” (“láo tuì xīnzhì”) as “labor pension system.” “勞退新制” contains the character for “new” (“新”; “xīn”), but for some reason Google Translate doesn’t translate that character. I don’t know, maybe it’s supposed to, maybe it’s not.

I hope that helps, but I’m not sure if that’s what you’re looking for.

I really need to have the chinese version of this story or the act stating, as the post said, self employfed, foreiners can volutarily join the system. Anything less would in duce a case of foreignoritus. Twenty minutes of head nodding and parapohrasing culminating in them saying… “We don’t understand”. Leadong to a phone call to the wife who doesn’t understand either but she’s not an sccountant. Really… a chinese version of the post’s story would be nice

I don’t know Chinese.

As far as I can tell using Google Translate, these two Chinese-language articles appear to discuss recent changes in pension law:

cna.com.tw/news/asoc/201401140270-1.aspx

cna.com.tw/news/aipl/201312310077-1.aspx

Are there any potential repercussions to a non-Tawainese spouse if the “required” contribution to the national pension system is not made? My Taiwanese wife and I live in the U.S. with no plans to return to Taiwan. My wife is a stay-at-home mom. We do not expect to rely upon the Taiwan pension system. So, we have decided that contributing to the national pension system is a non-starter for us. HOWEVER, my Taiwanese sister-in-law has told us that non-payment of the required pension tax by a non-working Taiwanese citizen will now fall on the working spouse in the form of fines etc. My only concern is whether this could be a problem for our once per year visit to see her family (i.e. visa issues etc.). Am I giving too much credit to the ability of TW burueacracy to keep track of this - assuming it is even applicable in the first place?

Has there been any updates on this?

Will this apply to JFRV holders with part-time positions (part-time as in being in a position for years, but technically part-time)? My employers don’t pay my NHI due to me being part-time staff, so I wonder if they are obligated to pay the pension.

In order not to start a new topic i post here something i read few weeks ago but i did not bookmark. If i am not mistaken, i read that from now foreign employees will be eligible to apply for pension provided that they will be paying monthly something like 6-10% of their salary. However i can not track back that article that i think i read in taipei times. Do you happen to know something about it?
I am in taiwan for 3,5 years and since i came, my 2 companies (1 Taiwanese, 1 foreign) told me that i can not apply for pension even when i got married to a local 1 year ago and i have an ARC tied to my wedding.
I find it quite strange that a country would not provide pension plans for people married to locals. In my home country in EU anyone working legally is also tied to a pension plan immediately.
I would appreciate any info you may have.

Thanks!

As a foreign spouse, you are now eligible. Before you were not. The law changed recently. Your company should just start making the contributions. You don’t need to do anything except check your payslip.

Ferein, thanks for confirming the information. I guess i need to push my company to be the ones who will be paying for the contribution and not deduct this amount from my salary.

As someone posted before, is there a link with a more complete description of the law in English?