Foreign Student Work

Hello everyone,

I’m a foreign student in Taiwan. I have ARC, NHI, Work Permit, everything in order. I’ll be applying to a buxiban job to work 15 hrs max and they told me that they deduct 6% taxes. However, I have also learned via an informal way that as a student we usually don’t pay taxes and get the whole hourly rate; say I signed a contract for 600 per hour, I should then get the whole 600 for every hour. At least I know someone that earns this way. What’s the veracity of this information? Does anyone have experience with this?

If this is correct, why so? Is it because we already have ARC, NHI and Work Permit and the buxiban doesn’t have to do anything else but hire us? If this is not correct, how much taxes is the usual? I keep reading 5% if over 183 days but why then the school says 6%? Any ideas?

Thank you everyone in advance.

if tax is not deducted, the Buxiban is cheating on tax. If the student doesn’t report the income, the student is also cheating on tax.

If your monthly salary is less than 35700NTD, your tax rate as non tax resident is 6%.

In Chinese.
https://www.doc.ncnu.edu.tw/cashier/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65:103&catid=34:2012-05-18-03-09-37&Itemid=27

Ok then this means the info I got was incorrect. Taxes are then for sure paid, no matter your status as a student. Yes, the income would be less than 35700NTD. Thank you so much for answering.

this should be on “labor insurance”.

What’s under labor insurance? The 6% they deduct?

So what exactly is the 6% deducted for? Do you have a breakdown on this deduction?

6% is income tax.

Labor insurance is about 10% of your salary, and 20% of it is on you, 70% on the buxiban and 10% on government. So there could be additional ~2% of deduction.