Foreigner Banking in Taiwan Masterlist

It’s highly dependent on which branch you visit.

I opened my account at Cathay far away from both my home and work address with no problems. Used ARC and US SSN. Took about 90min.

2 Likes

My wife and I are American. This is our 2nd time in Taipei and have easily opened accounts at Citibank both times. Never an issue. We still have an account with Citibank USA and we can move money back and forth with the Citi app that has an English option. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Get a Costco credit card. My white face walked up to the credit card stand thing at Costco and said I wanted one. I had my bank account book, ARC, and passport in hand. I guess they confirmed my income by looking up the tax record. No “eh…uhh…meh” from anyone. They even drove to a FamilyMart to near my house later in the day for me to fill out the extra paperwork that the US government makes every bank in the world that deals with Americans fill out. I’d say they were bending over backwards to get me the credit card. I’ve been on a public school income for the past few years, so it’s not like I’d be raking in big bucks for them.

But bank loans? LOL, dare I try?

2 Likes

I know a few people who were denied at banks but then got accepted at those kinds of stands in malls and places like Costco. Perhaps the approval process is different, or they have the power to approve you there and then.

1 Like

I went to a buffet the other day and they tried to get me to sign up to Amex platinum. It’s a pretty good travel card (lots of ppl in the US get it), so you may have more luck with these international cards

1 Like

I always found the credit card stand people would pull their application back when they saw me coming. Maybe I look scary or something. But offering the application to all the locals. When I asked them, they would say either no foreigners or do you have a guarantor?

I had more success going to the branch, asking for the credit card app, filling it out at home and mailing it in directly to the credit card division all the paperwork. In many cases I got the card.

4 Likes

A good thing about Taiwan banks is that there’s no maintenance fees. Has anyone got experiences using their investment services as a foreigner and how easy it is to get approved if you’re a single non-married foreigner?

Hsbc has been pushing me to signup to their investment account etc, but their offerings suck so I’ve passed.

So, I guess the answer would be it’s super easy to sign up to those as they proactively push those services

2 Likes

My experience with a very recent attempt to get a credit card:

Hua Nan - Get away from them, archaic system and poor service. Everything works like 80s.
DBS - Very good website (English), very good service (English), but does not matter how much money you have there, if you try to get a credit card, you will get a standard answer: - No credit card for foreigners.
Fubon (Last week attempt to get a credit card): - Terrible website, terrible service almost like Huan Nan, very discriminate against foreigners. I went last week with my girlfriend, I wanted to apply to a credit card, the manager came and said: - We don’t accept foreigners! We insisted, I have enough money in that bank account and at the end the manager said: - You can fulfill the papers, but it will not pass, you are wasting time.

I really would like to know a bank where I can move all my money and be able to get a credit card.

The funniest thing is, at DBS and Fubon I cannot get a credit card, but they often offer options of investment, once I asked DBS: - You want me invest money but I cannot have a credit card, how so?

4 Likes

That’s unfortunate. My wife’s uncle works at Hua Nan, I was hoping to get him to help me apply for a credit card.

1 Like

In that case, you might have a better luck than me, just give a try!

1 Like

I got an Amex Platinum through a promo event they held at our office. All I had to show was my offer letter.

4 Likes

Older style banks tend to work on guanxi. If your wife’s uncle is high up enough in the branch, he can likely get it pushed through.

1 Like

I’ve had a Fubon credit card for ten years. Got it on my own thru guanxi, not my mommy.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried to have their SSA check/direct deposit sent to a Taiwan bank?

Social security check? Are you like 65?

That is great! I don’t have guanxi at that Bank only money :frowning:

1 Like

Nope. He’s running a SS scam involving hundreds of dead people through a Wyonming LLC.

2 Likes

You should try Guanxi Bank. You get 3 Gold connections when you deposit $250,000 or more into your account within the first 3 months.

2 Likes

HSBC-Taiwan currently supports direct deposit of SSA funds but is discontinuing it on Jan. 31st.