Foreigner Banking in Taiwan Masterlist

To be honest, foreign banks are even worse than local banks in restrictions. The best offers I’ve received were from local banks.

It’s sad.

It is possible. I’m currently going through the rounds to buy a house as a SINGLE foreigner.

I will divulge all the works when I finish.

9 Likes

What’s the issue here? How can one get a mortgage without a property?

Be rich.

The Rich making the rich richer.

It’s not enough to repossess the house of deliquents. Need that second house for extra extra extra protection. Not a single dollar that the bank is entitled to should be lost…from their perspective. It doesn’t matter that they have cost themselves opportunities to make more money. A single dollar that they are entitled to getting lost is unfathomable to the Laoban.

Does it say second property? Are they not just referring to the property you’re purchasing by securing the mortgage? If not, is this rule different for citizens and is that documented?

FWIW the requirements are exactly the same in Chinese. They’re not discriminating based on nationality here.

1 Like

Don’t worry. They’ll do it in person. You won’t be disappointed!

1 Like

HSBC used to be very clear that foreigners weren’t allowed. Now they are…nominally.

But you also need family members, things foreigners don’t have.

• Have a property (the property should be owned by either you, or your blood relatives within the second degree, or your spouse, or your spouse’s blood relatives within the first degree)

No, it nominally doesn’t discriminate against foreigners.

But that’s one of two scenarios. Extremely high requirements or can’t give to foreigners.

Loans are worse.

How many pings are we talking?

Anything that’s a good deal.

12-30 Ping

So no kitchen isn’t a deal breaker?

Well, i had a couple Taofangs with a kitchen on the list.

Kitchenette is good enough.

3 Likes

Go on…
Curious as to what happened

Many years ago they were willing to give Japanese foreigners a credit card without a guarantor but not ‘other’ foreigners who needed a guarantor.

1 Like

HSBC is failing me a lot lately that I’m considering dropping them

The credit cards they give me expire on the day my current ARC expires, while other local banks expire ~6-8 years into the future.

Applying for a credit card at HSBC is super slow, took about a month while other local banks like ESun and Fubon respond and issued credit cards within a few days.

HSBC does not allow Canadians to invest through them. Every other local bank allows this as long as you’re not American.

Bank tellers at HSBC are usually 40 year olds compared to other local banks that have energetic new grads. Somehow I feel tired after visiting HSBC.

HSBC initially wouldn’t open an account for me even though my gold card expires in 2 years, because they said it does not use the new number format. Had to visit a different branch.

A bunch of other dumb rules at HSBC. I was asked to provide a Canadian home address when I applied for a HSBC credit card, because I’m a Canadian foreigner with a Taiwan gold card, even though I haven’t lived in Canada in over 20 years.

2 Likes

If they ask stupid questions, give them a stupid answer. I tend to give them addresses of TECOs in the US if they ask for a US address. It’s not like they will ever send you anything.

2 Likes

HSBC in TW is really disappointing, just literally exploiting them for the free inward crossborder transfers crediting, the global transfer function with my HK account, the free transfers and free ATM withdrawals in TW.

Besides that, really a disappointment.

2 Likes

That doesn’t sound all that disappointing compared to other banks here.

1 Like

They opened me an account only coz I was premier in hk, otherwise wouldn’t have bothered and asked me to put 500k min in to open the account.

Still have no clue what’s their focus here.

Wealthy individuals not the average forumosan

I suspect they wouldn’t even treat an average local well. Rich people only.