Foreigner Banking in Taiwan Masterlist

I get your point but also I’m not redesigning the Interface I’m only providing the means to do through behavioral and attitudinal data (including in Chinese). Although this is still quite valuable, there would need to be more work done to complete the overhaul.

Can you post the link to that in 🆔 New format for ARC/APRC number is not accepted--testing and reporting thread?

I just got my gold card and am in Taiwan now - it looks like Taipei fubon is the best local bank? Is bringing just my passport + gold card sufficient? I don’t have an address yet as I haven’t started renting

Does it? Why? They’re all a bit shit, but I haven’t heard of Fubon being particularly less shit.

I imagine you might have a hard time opening a bank account as a homeless foreigner. They’ll probably want to fill out an address that matches that on your ARC.

1 Like

Just from the comments and google reviews lol.

The gold card doesn’t actually have an address attached to to it

Mine does. You’re supposed to go to Immigration Dept and update it when you get your address sorted, then they issue you a replacement card.

The Google reviews are probably more dependent on the branch than anything else. I’m with CTBC, Mega Bank, Standard Chartered, and Richart, but none of those stand out as particularly excellent (or terrible) to me.

It does. Once you’ve got an address, you’re supposed to update immigration within x days and get a new gold card printed. The option to update your address is on the gold card website.

I don’t know for sure, but I think you’ll run into difficulties if you try opening a bank account without an address printed on your ARC.

2 Likes

I see that’s new to me, I thought receiving the gold card was the end of it. Will re read the gold card website again

If you plan to work for a company in Taiwan, they will tell you at which bank you need to open an account. It must be the same type of bank your company uses for payroll.
Welcome to best Financial Hub in Asia! :rofl:

1 Like

From what I’ve heard that isn’t a technical requirement to get paid but something that happens as the employer gets a kickback or benefit from the bank for all employees being there.

I hated one bank my employer used so on payday I’d transfer it all to the bank I preferred.

I thought it was because the company can then save on transfer fees. (Plus maybe some other benefits, like credit to help with cash flow?)

2 Likes

I guess that’s their ‘kickback’ cheaper banking for themselves at the inconvenience of their workers.

1 Like

I just got off a call with bank of taiwan, they said i need to have a job in taiwan to open a bank account? is this normal or just bs? i plan to work remotely and get paid in singapore dollar. Are there banks that accept me just putting a lumpsump so i can open an account? I just really want an account for convience to go to the atm and get good rates

Much harder to open without a job. I fake a job to get around it. In your case maybe open HSBC in Singapore and then they’ll allow you to open HSBC here.

I didn’t have a problem opening any of my four accounts without a job in Taiwan. They’ll likely ask about your employer, but can just say you’re self-employed or work for a foreign company or whatever.

I don’t know why you’re calling the bank and volunteering this info? Would suggest just going into a branch and doing it in person (because it’s easier to insist if you get an annoying staff member who doesn’t know what they’re doing).

3 Likes

I was told to call to make an appointment to make an account, so i called and got asked questions

Ah, I see. Guess you’ll be needing a different bank/branch then. (Though I guess you’ll still need to update your ARC with your address first.)

Went to Cathy to open an account. When making appointment online, they only ask for two forms of id.

When going in to open, they insisted on seeing housing rental contract, even though address is on ARC. Normal?

I don’t think I’ve ever been required to show one, though I probably took it with me sometimes out of convenience (because I didn’t want to have to make another trip there) and it’s not something I’d have the energy to make a fuss over.

the masterlist is very simple. “everyone sucks equally”. Just go with whatever you like/is closest/is required by employer

1 Like