Foreigner in the Army

History:
I look Foreign a.k.a, a Brown brother
Possess Indian & Taiwan Passports
Have Taiwan I.D = Shen Fen Zhen
Limited Mandarin
Currently working as a Marketing Editor for a Medical Device Firm

So 1 of these Days I’m gonna get called up. I’m in no rush whatsoever because I heard its a year of your life gone. Has anyone heard of a foreigner getting conscripted into the army and does anyone have some real-life experiences that they can share? How do you think It will be for me going in there? I know i’m going to have a tough time regardless but what is all this about being posted as a Teacher?

And do you have phones on you or what?

You have phones, but has to be a cheap phone (ie one with no camera). Thats all I know.

Thanks! So you’re free to call/receive phone calls. Huh, thought it would be much more strict than that

a poster on here in the past (poagao) was a foreigner in the military here. A google search found this book and website

poagao.org/pbook.htm

Then there is this link (you can find more by search im sure)

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 15&t=90619

And there is another guy who wrote a blog

baladaily.blogspot.tw/

Many young men with good English skills apply for the alternate service and get placed in visitor centres around the island. Not so bad. Better than counting mantou.

[quote=“dan2006”]a poster on here in the past (poagao) was a foreigner in the military here. A google search found this book and website

poagao.org/pbook.htm

baladaily.blogspot.tw/[/quote]

Thanks alot buddy. This eases my concerns a little bit

[quote=“hs172”][quote=“dan2006”]a poster on here in the past (poagao) was a foreigner in the military here. A google search found this book and website

poagao.org/pbook.htm

baladaily.blogspot.tw/[/quote]

Thanks alot buddy. This eases my concerns a little bit[/quote]

No problem… :slight_smile: No personal experience to share since I’m not Taiwanese so hopefully the links help. Later

counting mantou? Shit, what id give for being able to get some good mantou around here ! (bay area)