Foreigner starting business

His Tel: 02-27727768 Joseph

there is one office for rent post near the building I live (Ren-Ai Circle). It’s around 40 square meter, and NT$20000 - 30000. If this interests you, feel free to let me know.

Zero

I’d be interested in the address and name of building. Any phone no. of the landloard or building management would be great!

There is a 14 ping office for rent in my office building (above Ta-An MRT station, conveniently located and new). Don’t know about the rent. But I would guess around 30.000 NT$. If you’re interested, PM me, and I’ll get back to you with phone numbers on Monday.

HTH
Iris

If a Taiwan-born American wants do have his own business in Taiwan, what does he need to register said business?

He has his Taiwanese passport already, but will he need Taiwanese ID to have his own business?

He only just got the passport, but can he still open a business straight away?

How often will he have to leave to avoid military service? And how does he guarantee that?

Any responses would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Stray Dog

You might want to post in the legal forums, or moderator may move it to appropriate legal forum?

This is my understanding of the process.

1. You will need to get your Taiwan ID number. Can’t go around Taiwan without it if you want to enjoy the full benefits of being a Taiwan national – which includes opening up a business.

2. Having now gotten your Taiwan ID number and you have a ROC passport, you will be subjected to the military requirement up to age 40. There is no way around this except to do the 4-month hop in which your passport will be stamped saying to that your military service requirements are outstanding. There’s been a couple of threads saying that doing certain types of work (e.g. hi-tech) may entitle you an exemption, but I don’t know about it and never heard of it except here.

3. Now once you have all your paperwork handy, when you go get the company fully registered etc, you will need to open up a bank account and deposit NTD 1mil into a bank account (can be more depending on what type you’re opening up). Only with that bank document, and the other documents your accountant has filled out for you, can you then get your VAT number (Tong Yi Bian Number). Without that number, you’re not fully set up.

Of course, your friend can open a business as a foreign national and we have a thread [url]Foreigner starting business just for that.

[Errata] NTD 1 mil, not 3 mil as written before.

I’ll leave it here as it will get more traffic.

I would just like to say that I appreciate everyone’s help and advice on this topic. As many of you may be aware, it can be hell trying to set up a business in a foreign country not knowing the legalities never mind the language itself!

Many of the posts on this forum have aided me in my enterprise and I am happy to say that I am off and running. Although my website isn’t fully functional (it will be in 2 weeks), I do have a temporary page running and I am holding my first event on Valentine’s Day. You can visit the site at www.organizedflirting.com for more information.

If anyone here happens to be single and looking, please check out my site. Come and see me at an event and let me know that you are a Forumosan and I will grab you a drink.

Hope to see you all soon,

Reese Richards
President
OrganizedFlirting
www.organizedflirting.com

Thank you to everyone who has been a vital source of information and I hope to see you at one of my events in the near future.

Congrats Reese!

Your site doesn’t say whether or not the people will be mostly English speakers, Chinese speakers, bi-lingual mostly Chinese, or bi-lingual mostly some other language. It might be tough for some people who don’t have the same language skills to communicate in the 5 minutes :ponder:

GL,

Try

ait.org.tw
American Institute in Taiwan
cetra.org.tw
Perhaps you could find some info here too.

If you want to dodge the military service, I believe you should leave the country every 4 months or something alike.

Good point Isieh.

The entire event will be run in English. If you are Chinese, you are more than welcome to join, however, you must be able to speak English well enough to have a general conversation.

This particular event will be of mixed race and age; although you can expect the age group to be in the range of 24-35 yrs. The group will consist of foreigners and Chinese (who can speak English fairly fluently).

All future events will be categorized into preferences by nationality, age, gender etc. and the language will be English unless the event is a Chinese / Chinese event.

Keep in mind, however, that if two people sit across from each other and both speak the same language (other than English), they are welcome to converse in whatever language they choose for their 5- minute date.

Hope this clears up any questions.
Please feel free to PM or call me with any other questions you may have.

Reese

Stray Dog,

I really get annoyed when people post conjecture instead of facts, but here’s my two cents of conjecture and some warnings for you to check out. My son has dual nationality US/ROC. He’s 23. We applied for his ROC passport in Boston this past spring. He was quite adamant that he would be prepared to do military service but only AFTER graduate school. They have him registered as 'Overseas Chinese

Hey, some excellent advice here, which I very much appreciate. Thanks Isieh, dargus, and OutofChaos.

Does anyone else have any solid facts?

Gee Stray Dog,
Would I need ten guesses to correctly guess what “case” this is? Sorry I have not been around much but I am an ABC (American Born Californian) trying to keep my “teach law/write for the big bucks” business afloat.

Good luck and hopefully I will see you Saturday.
till then,
take care,
Brian

If you want to dodge the draft… the following information is obtained from the Immigration Office National Police Agency ( http://www.immigration.gov.tw )

本辦法依兵役法施行法第二十三條規定訂定之。
歸化我國國籍之役齡男子,自初設戶籍登記之翌日起,屆滿一年時,依法辦理徵兵處理
原有戶籍國民具僑民身分之役齡男子,自返回國內之翌日起,屆滿一年時,依法辦理徵兵處理
無戶籍國民具僑民身分之役齡男子,自返回國內初設戶籍登記之翌日起,屆滿一年時,依法辦理徵兵處理
依前二項應辦理徵兵處理之歸國僑民有下列情形之一者,得填具暫緩徵兵處理申請書,向戶籍地鄉(鎮、市、區)公所申請,轉報直轄市、縣(市)政府核准暫緩徵兵處理:
一、依照華僑回國投資條例申請投資,經核准並已實行投資,金額在新臺幣一千
萬元(或其他等值貨幣)以上,經各該目的事業主管機關證明者。
二、在僑資經營事業機構中,擔任總經理、廠長、總工程師或專門技術人員,經
各該目的事業主管機關證明者。
三、在核准設立外商銀行分支機構中(含辦事處)擔任重要主管職務或具有金融
專業技術人員,經銀行主管機關證明者。
四、因僑居地政府拒絕入境或因僑居地環境特殊為政治、經濟等原因被迫回國暫
居及僑居地發生戰亂未能按時返回,經外交或僑務主管機關證明者。
五、因訴訟案懸未結,必須本人處理,未能按時返回僑居地,經司法機關證明者

前項各款之暫緩徵兵處理於原因消滅時為止。但第四款以三年為限,第五款以三個月為限。第五款如屆滿期限有特殊原因發生,仍須繼續暫緩徵兵處理,經司法機關證明屬實者,得依前項規定,再申請暫緩徵兵處理。

前條第一項及第二項屆滿一年之計算,以有下列情形之一者為準:
一、連續居住滿一年。
二、中華民國七十三年次以前出生之役齡男子,以居住逾四個月達三次者為準。
三、中華民國七十四年次以後出生之役齡男子,以曾有二年,每年一月一日至十
二月三十一日期間累積居住逾一百八十三日為準。
歸國僑民之役齡男子返國就學者,在符合緩徵條件之期間,不列入前項居住時間計算。

持外國護照入境之歸國僑民,具有役齡男子身分者,適用本辦法有關歸國僑民之規定。
原具香港、澳門僑民身分之男子,具有下列條件之一,經僑務主管機關出具證明者,適用本辦法有關歸國僑民之規定:
一、於中華民國八十六年七月一日前自香港地區、或於中華民國八十八年十二月
二十日前自澳門地區以僑民身分返回國內初設戶籍登記,並取得當地永久居
留資格者。
二、在臺灣地區出生並設有戶籍,於中華民國八十六年七月一日前在香港地區、
或於中華民國八十八年十二月二十日前在澳門地區居住四年以上,並取得當
地永久居留資格者。

經核准暫緩徵兵處理者,於暫緩徵兵處理之原因消滅或已屆滿規定期限,應自原因消滅或屆滿規定期限之翌日起三十日內,向戶籍地鄉(鎮、市、區)公所申報。

歸國僑民之身分,以申請人取得僑務主管機關核發之役政用華僑身分證明書,或持有僑居身分加簽之護照者認定之。

本辦法所定書、表格式,由內政部定之。

本辦法自發布日施行。

With respect to OutofChao’s posting, there is only one lesson to be gained from all of this. There are no set rules applied consistently or equally across the board. That is a fact of life in Taiwan. What is written is not necessarily the same as “written in stone” as say it would be in the US.

The only thing one can do is to go to the appropriate government bureaus and agencies and speak nicely and humbly to the clerks to find out what is possible and not possible. As it applies to the 3-4 month rule, I’ve consistently heard that it is 4 months, not 3 months. I’ve never heard of an “Overseas Chinese” category from local government personnel for dual citizen holders but it appears to exist on Forumosa boards. The only thing one can and should do is to continue talking and asking to find out what the “rules” are because they can and do change like the desert sands.

And if it isn’t clear from my postings, I am relaying first-hand experience supplemented with second-hand and on occassion third-hand notes.

I was wondering if it is possible for a foreigner to open a business in his/her name. I know years back you needed a Taiwanese person’s name to be on all the paperwork but I heard that changed. Anyone know about this? Thanks.

Do a search. This topic was addressed recently.

[quote=“pinesay”]I went through the process a year ago. I went the route of a local limited liability company at the 500K capital amount. It cost me NT$60K to have an accountant set it up. I also have extensive experience in how to get work permits/ARCs for foreigners that own their company. A foriegner can own his or her company as long as it is approved by the Investment Commission of the Ministry of Economic Affairs. HOWEVER, this doesn’t not guarantee you that your company can cut you a work permit/ARC as the owner. BEWARE! This is the biggest misconception foreigners have in setting up a company in Taiwan. I’ve seen many tears shead over this.

[color=darkblue]Please PM me for details.[/quote]
Have been told that if the company capital is over 5 million then this allows Arc’s to be issued to foreigners.[/color]

RAZ, I was just browsing through your site and, at the risk of going waaay off-topic, want to add an observation.

Few foreigners have Taiwanese credit-cards - not the single ones anyway, and few non-Americans have credit cards that are billed in US$s. If you’re going to bill people in US$s then you’re asking them to go through two currency conversions and make an international transfer that is going to cost more money. I suppose that this sort of problem is going to be a common one for others doing business here, so I’d be interested to know if you found any alternatives.

All the best with it.