Foreigner starting business

[quote=“lavazza cafe boy”]Dear all Helo, please a little advice :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

With my wife a Taiwanese,we expect to open a coffee shop, can we use both of our name to register,or only in my wife’s name, or which way is better for us.

Many thanks for response

The Lavazza cafe boy Juris.[/quote]

Hi Lavazza cafe boy,

You can use both. Which is better? It depends on what you’re looking to do. If you put your name on it, then it becomes a foreign owned business. Tax people love to target foreign owned businesses. This probably doesn’t mean much for a coffee shop owner.

For more accounting assistance, you should contact Ms. Ann Hu, Universal Law CPA Group at ulc@ms13.hinet.net. She was part of the Enspyre Workshop held earlier this month. She gave excellent advice and information.

Good luck.

美林國際專案管理有限公司
ML McLean & Associates Co. Ltd.
Main number: +886 2-6620-5251 ; Email: info@ml-mclean.com
URL: ml-mclean.com/

And don’t forget to tell us where this Lavazza is.

Like many people, I dream about opening a coffee/beer/juice/yoghurt/gelato place of my own, but it’s all dreams, and I really admire people who have the courage to take the plunge.

[quote=“Traveller”][quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Rumpelstiltskin”]Are you 100% sure that you can open a branch office of an overseas limited company with only $1M in foreign capital?

I would be interested to know.[/quote]

Actually, what I said is that the start-up capital required to form a:

Company Limited by Shares (equivalent to a corporation) is NT$1 million.
Limited Company (similar to the above except no shares are issued) is NT$500,000.

Both of those are independent corporate entities in Taiwan that shield the shareholders/investors from personal liability and tax consequences go to the entity not to the individuals. More information about them can be found in the Company Law (which is fairly thick to read through). Here’s a version of it, but I can’t guarantee this is current:
gti.com.tw/lawandregulations04.htm

It is my understanding that to form a subsidiary of a foreign company in Taiwan the capital requirement is either NT$1 million or NT$500,000 and the investors must apply with the MOEA for Foreign Investment Approval (FIA); and there is no capital requirement for a foreign company to form a branch or appoint an agent in Taiwan.

I’m not sure about sole proprietorships. I would think one must be Taiwanese, but I don’t know. I do know that you would be exposed to unlimited potential personal liability and you would be taxed as an individual instead of at a corporate rate.

You can definitely convert a Limited Company into a Company Limited by Shares (corporation), and you can probably convert a Sole Proprietorship into one also, but in such a case you would definitely need to remit the required minimum capital and apply for FIA.

If you have further questions, I suggest you ask the MOEA. Here’s a link to send them questions (but please post your Q&A here afterwards):
investintaiwan.nat.gov.tw/help.php[/quote]

Mt, while in principle you are right, in practice you may not be. Your figures are only valid for companies being setup that do not require additional licencing.

In our case, the minimum capital was 7,500,000 NT$, not defined by the Company setup people, but by the licencing authority for our relevant industry.[/quote]

I sort advice on opening a branch office in TW and there IS a capital requirement and you must demonstrate the $ comes from overseas and not from within Taiwan. Its a right pain in the azz.

Dear all hello ’ :laughing: :laughing:

Great thanks to all of you,for the infos.It’s nice .

We expect to open our cafe shop this year , in Kaohsiung…Yeaah, of course i’ll make a nice advertisement for all .

Many thanks to ML McLean&Associates.

Merci beaucoup :sunglasses:

Lavazza cafe boy Juris
                                                                 [juris0214@yahoo.com](mailto:juris0214@yahoo.com)