Foreigner-Taiwanese band at Spring Scream circa 1996

This has been bugging me for almost seven years. At Spring Scream 1995, '96 or '97 there was a Taiwanese band with a whitey guitarist playing a sunburst Fender Strat. The stage was down on the beach, before they made the move out to the campground. I and the drunken crew I was with were merely passing through and caught most of one song.

It was a good’un. The chorus went “qing ni buyao zou” over top of a single B-52s-ish guitar line. The verses, specifically the guitar-playing, owed something to “swordfishtrombone” era Tom Waits. A potent mixture of admiration and envy stopped me dead in my tracks, and to this day I wonder why I consented to follow those yokels into town, thereby missing the rest of their set.

Who were they? Can anyone recall?

You know, I’m not sure, but it sounds like it could have been Fei Wu.
They split ages ago, not long after Ian Lamont went back to US.
Check their songs here: http://www.hsiung.net/feiwu/songs.html

[quote=“Alien”]You know, I’m not sure, but it sounds like it could have been Fei Wu.
They split ages ago, not long after Ian Lamont went back to US.
Check their songs here: http://www.hsiung.net/feiwu/songs.html[/quote]
Thanks for the link, Alien. I don’t think it was them, though. I didn’t see the lyric I was looking for, and Feiwu lean a lot closer to Husker Du than the band on stage that comes to me in the shower did.

Then again, I only heard one song. Will it forever remain a mystery?

Could it have been Ting Kan TIng - Stop Look Listen?

Had a foreign guy out front and 2 Taiwanese guys on drums and bass?

They had a bit of John Spencer BLues Explosion vibe… great stuff.

Off thread somewhat.

Last night at the Voice someone mentioned Fei Wu and I mentioned Cuckoo for Coco.

Tap Alien’s link and there it be. Lovely.

I’v actually got a Spring Scream CD circa 1997 somewhere. I’ll look for it and try some of the names. Psycho Xiaojies where there of course, mostly foreign fellows though.

HG

Ian Lamont was the lead singer of Fei Wu?

Wow, I thought he had just been a features writer at the then China News.

What is he up to now? And the other members of Fei Wu?

Ian’s working at Harvard University now. Dunno about the others. Remember “Taiwan Pijiuo” ?

Ian’s working at Harvard University now. Dunno about the others. Remember “Taiwan Pijiuo” ?

Taiwan pijiu hen hao he, Taiwan pijiu he wan le.
Taiwan pijiu 30 kuai, Taiwan pijiu wo zui ai.

Certainly do!

HG

[quote]Taiwan pijiu hen hao he, Taiwan pijiu he wan le.
Taiwan pijiu 30 kuai, Taiwan pijiu wo zui ai.
[/quote]

Pianren!

Don’t shoot me, I’m just the pinyinizer.

HG

always thought that song should be adopted as the alternative national anthem here…mind you Milk’s “It’s all about the xiaojie’s” is now a strong contender…