Foreigner therapy in taiwan

I’m sorry, I don’t know anything around your area. Hope someone else can chime in.

1 Like

thank you for your help,i’ll look it up :slightly_smiling_face:

that’s okay,still appreciate for your help

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

On the Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital Psychiatry Department page mentioned earlier, I noticed that two members of that department seem to have backgrounds that indicate exposure to English.

Pin-Chen Yang’s information page says:

Edited to add:

This link should be Pin-Chen Yang’s information in Chinese, along with a schedule. If you have a Chrome browser, you should be able to translate this page by right-clicking it and choosing “Translate to English.” You should also be able to do the same thing with the Internet Explorer browser by right-clicking the page and choosing “Translate with Bing.”

Dr. Yang specializes in child psychiatry; however, I decided to post her name anyway, because I didn’t want to pass up any possibility. Years ago when I had a physical ailment, my boss took me to a pediatrician, and I thought that was somewhat odd at the time. It took me a long time to find out that some of my adult co-workers also went to this pediatrician, and there didn’t seem to be a problem with it. Since then, I’ve been to that pediatrician for other ailments.

Now, this situation could be different, but again, I didn’t want to exclude her as a possible source of help.

This link should show you Dr. Yang’s name in Chinese and help you say it.

Cheng-Sheng Chen’s information page says:

Edited to add:

This link should be Cheng-Sheng Chen’s information in Chinese, along with a schedule. Again, with a Chrome browser, you should be able to translate this page by right-clicking it and choosing “Translate to English.” And you should be able to do the same thing with the Internet Explorer browser by right-clicking the page and choosing “Translate with Bing.”

And this link should show you Dr. Chen’s name in Chinese and help you say it.

The above is not meant in any way to limit your choices, though. For all I know, some or all of the others on that page may have good English.

And there’s also the Kaohsiung City Government page, and the doctor that @Dragonbones mentioned, and of course, there may very well be other possibilities that I’m not aware of. I don’t have any firsthand knowledge about this subject. As @Andrew0409 said, I hope someone else will come along and post something more helpful.

In any case, I hope you get the help that you’re seeking.

i would recommend trying to find a someone who can speak the same native language. Sometimes the subtlety of what people are saying can be hard for a none native person to understand. If the client is finding it hard to explain, it’s easy for them to give up. Good luck and I hope you can find the help your looking for. Mental health is easy to overlook when your away from home and dealing with so many different things.

1 Like

Oh that’s horrifying. I guess I’ll have to stop recommending it too.

Sample size of one.

I’ve heard good things about it elsewhere but never firsthand.

thanks again.really

1 Like

You’re welcome, @puppylover.

Back in 2002, the poster @fatslob made the following recommendation:

@fatslob also posted a link, which led me to the link below:

http://aroundkaohsiung.freeservers.com/counseling.html

I see the word English on the page linked immediately above, and I see some foreign-looking names (foreign relative to Taiwan), but I’m not sure how current (up-to-date) the above-linked webpage is, and I’m not sure which entries you would find suitable, if any. Nonetheless, I’m posting it just in case there’s something on that page that might lead you to the help you’re seeking.

Again, I hope this helps, or at least does no harm.

Edited to add:

Here’s a link to a 2016 PDF document entitled “Kaohsiung Psychiatrists & Counselors,” and found at the Internet address of the U. S. State Department (if you click the link below, a window should pop up, giving you a choice of whether or not to download; you need a PDF reader to read the document):

Kaohsiung Psychiatrists & Counselors (PDF)

If you don’t have a PDF reader, here’s a “cached” version of the document found on the State Department’s site; you don’t need a PDF reader for this one–it’s just a webpage:

Kaohsiung Psychiatrists & Counselors (cached)

2 Likes

Not sure how that advice is wrong.

Imagine how you would feel if you went to a shrink, and they pulled out a deck of Tarot cards.

1 Like

Well, considering psychoanalytics has no scientific credibility either…

Counseling is more of an art than a science. Freudian psychoanalysis is not much done these days, especially since insurance tends not to cover such an open-ended process. There’s more focus on specific issues, such as addiction or relationship problems.

2 Likes

I think you might be confusing Freudian psychoanalysis with psychotherapy. You won’t find much psychoanalysis practised at the Community Services Center.

I also had a bad experience with a counselor there some time ago. The one I saw happened to be weird and uncomfortably judgmental. Didn’t help me at all, if anything they actually kinda made me feel worse. They also really gouge you for money.

I know not every therapist is going to be a good match, but it turned me off of even attempting to find another.

Do you remember what it cost? Simply curious.

I believe it was something close to 6000 for a 90 minute introductory session.

1 Like

Is it possible for a foreigner to brcome a psychologist in Taiwan after completing her bachalor and masters in psychology from Taiwan?

Possibly, I’ve heard one one Malaysian working in the field in Taipei.

However, if there is a severe cultural difference, you will need as much effort, if not more than the studies themselves, to understand and navigate the cultural context they are experiencing, by which to frame the issue for which they are seeking help.