Foreigner therapy in taiwan

Imagine how you would feel if you went to a shrink, and they pulled out a deck of Tarot cards.

1 Like

Well, considering psychoanalytics has no scientific credibility either…

Counseling is more of an art than a science. Freudian psychoanalysis is not much done these days, especially since insurance tends not to cover such an open-ended process. There’s more focus on specific issues, such as addiction or relationship problems.

2 Likes

I think you might be confusing Freudian psychoanalysis with psychotherapy. You won’t find much psychoanalysis practised at the Community Services Center.

I also had a bad experience with a counselor there some time ago. The one I saw happened to be weird and uncomfortably judgmental. Didn’t help me at all, if anything they actually kinda made me feel worse. They also really gouge you for money.

I know not every therapist is going to be a good match, but it turned me off of even attempting to find another.

Do you remember what it cost? Simply curious.

I believe it was something close to 6000 for a 90 minute introductory session.

1 Like

Is it possible for a foreigner to brcome a psychologist in Taiwan after completing her bachalor and masters in psychology from Taiwan?

Possibly, I’ve heard one one Malaysian working in the field in Taipei.

However, if there is a severe cultural difference, you will need as much effort, if not more than the studies themselves, to understand and navigate the cultural context they are experiencing, by which to frame the issue for which they are seeking help.