Foreigners avoiding each other

Most were SMEs , I guess they like to have least one foreigner on the books so to speak to help with certain stuff. But some were large government departments or institutes. Current place is a multinational org, we haven’t had any foreigners except for me all the time I’ve been working for them. Interestingly in other East Asian countries we also employ no foreigners except local staff only in Japan do they have a couple of Asian immigrants who I believe should have Japanese citizenship now. In South East Asia and Australia there are plenty of immigrants and foreign residents working there.

1 Like

It’s impressive that you’ve made this work.

The next step is to write a book about it!

Guy

I thought about it.
To be honest the book may not be a affirmation to come to work in Taiwan though.
I have known plenty of foreigners who worked in the electronics industry and their situation is a bit different (although again they aren’t exactly overflowing).
The main reason I am still working in Taiwan is covid, being located in Taiwan is holding me back badly now for my career development (covid is holding things back too for almost everybody but being in Taiwan is a double whammy due to the way we are structured ).

2 Likes

Those who needed a westerner fix used to be able to go to Hong Kong
They had lots of western visitors then don’t know about now

Now Tommy ? Are you fucning kidding me…In the year 2020 and 2021 :no_mouth:.

2 Likes

Well I ain’t been there since what 99
So I don’t know what it’s like now

We agree with the effect.

As to cause, who to blame, I didn’t say anything.

That was something you interjected

My wife’s Indonesian

Sometimes we are sitting close to other Indonesians she doesn’t know here in the Bay Area
She says to me oh those people are Indonesian
I say why don’t you say hi
She says Why?

I guess the bay area is multicultural so people don’t feel they need to say hi to the same ethnic

But whites standing out in Taiwan makes it some sort of compulsion or obligation to say hi ?

Mystery as to the whereabouts of Bob aside, this is interesting to me. Americans have extremely diverse takes on approaching and talking to strangers on the street. A large number are like, are you crazy why the hell would I have any need to talk to some random stranger, plus it might be dangerous. Another large number think it’s incredibly rude and uncouth not to be able to approach strangers with a smile and a pleasant passing comment or two. Some of us are conflicted about it. I do think that if you’re going to run a business like a restaurant it’d be good to have some skill in making small talk.

2 Likes

You are half honky, so you are telling me you do not know our secret handshakes , sign language etc. The mysterious white patriarchy.
Come on Tommy you know the secret sign when you see other whiteys :fu:

We should start hugging those foreigners and whisper, ‘we can feel you’.

3 Likes

Don’t forget to ask " Can we feel you? " first :wink:

1 Like

Maybe it should be ‘We feel you’?

1 Like

Why not start off with a nice kiss?

2 Likes

How about “I see you?” :grin:

As the great Takeshi advises us: Change the way you see the world.

Guy

1 Like

It’s a fact.I simply pointed it out.

Let’s take a step back and define skills.
Are you talking about natural ability?
Are you talking about skills, as in skills on a resume?

I just pointed out your comment because while I agree that it’s true, your comment could be taken a few ways.

If you did mean the second, why do you think that is? As I noted, some might say that systemic racism played a large role in preventing them from being able to aquire those skills need to get the jobs.

Facts are facts. “How one takes it” is the listener choosing to add something not stated

In Oakland, there’s a Lexus dealership across the street from Rainbow discount grocery store. It’s an omen. Racism is a convenient excuse but contradicted by facts. Since the dot com boom, techies engineers programmers of all races and ethnicities have pushed up property prices.

No one is disputing the facts, rather explaining them.

Now you’re confusing me. This goes against your facts.

Anyways. I didn’t take it as a racist comment; I simply asked for clarification.
I know we’re in agreement that the skills you’re referring to are leaned and not innate.

Next time I see a random foreigner I could just pull him aside and say this: