Foreigners avoiding each other

In Taiwan they would have hit that emergency blue button after 20 seconds.

3 Likes

Is that why no one dances on trains in Taiwan? I feel like those sorts of performances are unique to NYC…

1 Like

There is a lot more that people do on trains in NYC.

2 Likes

I have to go into this again.

I walk into a coffee shop this morning, youngish couple western couple come in with a baby, big backpacks and back baby carrier.
Holding a book headed “scenery in Taiwan”
Look like touring or hiking on a very hot day with a baby.

I say good morning, complete rebuttal!!!

They was British!
If I was in UK I see young couple travelers with a baby I would say hello, they would reply normally, and have a short chat about what they are doing baby’s name how old he is.
Weird they change their natural behaviour and identity in Taiwan.

You heard them talking?

1 Like

I saw another foreigner picking up his daughter from the same preschool I send my kid too. He literally has the only other mixed child in this school with over a hundred kids. I say “hi, how’s it going” and he barely acknowledges me. He just glances at me and then looks back at the gate. Alrighty suit yourself, dude. Enjoy your grumpy, shitty life.

7 Likes

A LOT of people seem to be living miserably. It seems age exacerbates it. I wanna date one of those dancing, laughing old codgers. Thats who I try to emulate.
My resting bitch face is genetic. Forgive me that. I’m not trying to be unapproachable.

9 Likes

Some people have social anxiety issues, and I think they’re more likely to become expats because of this. There’s a guy who lives near me who can’t look me in the eye.

They’re not necessarily being deliberately rude or offhandish.

6 Likes

he may be a French man who doesn’t speak English.

2 Likes

Or, you know, he’s shy. Or is perfectly happy, but doesn’t really do small talk. Or as BD mentioned, has social anxiety. Or just got off work and is tired and actually grumpy, but that doesn’t make.him a grumpy person in general with a shitty life.

Lots of options. I generally don’t like stranger chit chat (except at bars) :man_shrugging:.

No they had “we are brits tattooed on their foreheads”

6 Likes

Future I’m going to confront with lots of “why’s “ watch em squirm.

My finding are:

The westerns I meet in Taiwan revel in their bubble of unique specialness. Meeting another westerner disrupts their bubble.

This may help explain the rebuttals we are met with when greeting another westerner.

2 Likes

I was leaning towards bad teeth and pasty complexion.

2 Likes

What’s the deal with needing to say hi to someone that looks like they are a foreigner?

There’s lots of foreigners that don’t look like foreigners but you possibly have more in common.

Why not just say hi to everyone and see who replies back in English and is interested in saying hi back.

Taiwan is not some remote uninhabited island with only natives running around.

5 Likes

If I was in a coffee shop in a city back in Blighty minding my own business, and some random weirdo stranger came up and said “Good morning!” to me, I would assume they were some sort of mentalist or a jolly American type. My normal reply and natural behaviour would be a lingering stare of suspicion and an extremely monotone “morning” quickly followed by averting my gaze and trying to silently and politely give off a “get tae fuck” vibe. I don’t think I am alone in this attitude.

5 Likes

:joy:

My experience with other foreigners in the wild here in Taiwan is one dude chatting me up on the bus in Taichung and telling me about how everything is secretly decided by the Jews who control the Illuminati who in turn control the the governments. Michelle Obama is in fact a man as is Hillary Clinton. Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama are in fact women. The CCP is controlling everything and Winnie the Xi is the antichrist.

8 Likes

I never said anti-christ.

12 Likes

Ah, so you met @cake IRL?

(This one I kinda agree with though…)

7 Likes