Foreigners cannot have debit cards?

My wife went to ChinaTrust and asked about getting a debit card for me. They told her foreigners cannot have a debit card even when holding an ARC. Can anyone confirm this or tell me which bank I could go to for a debit card?
Thanks!

Here we go again!!

New rules again? Stupid banks … morons even … but hey, this is Taiwan and we don’t understand the culture or the society …

Unless that one bank has an unusual policy, I’d say your wife was given some bad info. I have debit cards from two different banks. Got the first one before I got my first ARC as I recall, with a well-known commercial bank. The other with a “government” bank. They don’t issue them to foreigners as smoothly as could be, but in both cases, it was pretty straight-forward. Not every bank employee knows that foreigners can have debit cards so some assume you can’t. It’s easier for them to say no than it is to get up and go ask. Go back and ask someone else.

I once applied for a credit card and almost got it. They took very long and I went to enquire about the delay. They told me the card had already been made, but because I’m a foreigner, they couldn’t give it to me. Instead they gave me a debit card. I never used it. I didn’t know it as an honor to get one.

I opened BOA savings account and was told I could use the card to draw money abroad if I filled in a certain form. Ater I while I was told to come back to cancel the facility.

Once I wanted to pay by credit card at Hsinchu Orange Mart, FE21 branch, and when I mentioned that I was from SA, the manager felt it was necessary to check my details before swiping it. Although I like Orange Mart, I’ve always kept hat in the back f my mind.

I have 2 ATM cards here too, from 2 different banks. I’m suspecting the person at the bank had no idea what they were talking about.

I have an ATM card from china trust… some half-ass deal where they wrote the account number on the back in ink. This card now only works at china trust atm’s because all the other one’s need that chip.

So, I went to HwaNan and had no problem opening an account and getting one of these chip cards. Went to China Trust to get one so I can use it places othen than 7-11 and they told me “No.”

:fume:

I just got a China Trust ATM card. She promised me there were no restrictions and that it would work internationally. I think the mazimum per day was 120,000.

Are these debit cards that people here have anything more than glorified ATM cards? Can you use them for internet purchases?

I suggest you get an update on that to avoid a nasty surprise.

[quote]Steeevieboy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:55 am Post subject: Re: Foreigners cannot have debit cards?
I just got a China Trust ATM card. She promised me there were no restrictions and that it would work internationally. I think the mazimum per day was 120,000.[/quote]

I went to China Trust last week. And they said They dont allow foreigners to use any of their cards internationally anymore. I simply wanted a new savings account account with an ATM card to use iif I travel.

I got the China Trust this week. Hsinchu bank, my ex bank wont let foreigners use their cards internationally. Thats why switched to China trust.

The lady at China Trust was very poilte. Was funny actually. I said, “Are there any restrictions on this card? Will it work internationally?” She said, “Why woould we put a restriction on your card? Of course it will work interantionally.”

I am def going to go back again and confirm that it works internationally.

ATM cards:
For these to work internationally, they should be labeled prominently with an international ATM network logo, like Cirrus or Plus. My old ATM card in Taiwan was labeled like that, and did work internationally. Oddly, that same card was restricted inside of Taiwan. I could not use it to transfer money to any other domestic bank account (common bill payment method here). Then, I was issued a new and mandatory replacement card from the same bank recently. The new card has an chip. Now, the new and improved card with the chip can transfer money domestically, but no longer works internationally (no ATM network logos). Sometimes I’m certain that when I came here, instead of boarding an flight, I fell down a rabbit hole.

Debit cards:
Using U.S. cards as a reference, the difference between an ATM card and a debit card is that a debit card can be used to make purchases wherever a Visa or Mastercard credit card is accepted. There is no credit account. The money comes out of your bank account. A debit card will also have a Visa or Mastercard logo on it. According to that definition of debit card, I have none here. None of my cards have ever functioned as debit cards. There does seem to be either special requirements for foreigners to get debit cards or some prohibition. I’m not very clear on that.

It’s different than an ATM card. It works just like a credit card accept you don’t have credit. It draws out of your debit account. So you need to make sure you have enough in the account to cover your purchase.

I need one to do internet orders.

Apparently debit cards also have the “Visa” logo on them with a number that is just the same as a regular credit card.
When doing internet orders you simply fill out their credit card form with the number and info from your debit card.

I can’t think of any reason banks would restrict this as it’s all based on what’s in a persons’ account.No risk for them.

Anyway, I’ll go and check some other banks before accepting the info China Trust gave us. I don’t trust them :wink: .

Almas John, yes, a proper debit card works for buying stuff online. The advantage is that you’re not borrowing money; it just comes straight out of your bank account. The disadvantage, at least in Western countries, is that you may not have so much protection if somebody steals the card or the number. It can be a real hassle to get refunds from a debit card but it’s usually easier from a credit card. This is what I’ve heard, anyway.

Yes, foreigners can get debit cards here but they may well have to have a Taiwanese person sign as guarantor. Strange seeing as it’s their own money, but there you go.

[quote=“seeker4”]ATM cards:
For these to work internationally, they should be labeled prominently with an international ATM network logo, like Cirrus or Plus. My old ATM card in Taiwan was labeled like that, and did work internationally. Oddly, that same card was restricted inside of Taiwan. I could not use it to transfer money to any other domestic bank account (common bill payment method here). Then, I was issued a new and mandatory replacement card from the same bank recently. The new card has an chip. Now, the new and improved card with the chip can transfer money domestically, but no longer works internationally (no ATM network logos). Sometimes I’m certain that when I came here, instead of boarding an flight, I fell down a rabbit hole.

Debit cards:
Using U.S. cards as a reference, the difference between an ATM card and a debit card is that a debit card can be used to make purchases wherever a Visa or Mastercard credit card is accepted. There is no credit account. The money comes out of your bank account. A debit card will also have a Visa or Mastercard logo on it. According to that definition of debit card, I have none here. None of my cards have ever functioned as debit cards. There does seem to be either special requirements for foreigners to get debit cards or some prohibition. I’m not very clear on that.[/quote]

You see, that’s where it’s gets confusing, with a debit card the money is already yours and is just kept in the 'bank’account, so why wouldn’t they let foreigners have a debit card? It’s your own money to begin with … :s

I have a China Trust debit card with Cirrus and Maestro logos on it. I wouldn’t trust it to work abroad, though.

It is very unlikely China Trust will give you a straight answer. Interesting to see how the old mind works though, the automatic answer from most people on the other end of the phone here is “oh, foreigners aren’t allowed to do/have X”. Most of the time it’s not true, but you get the feeling they wish it was.

Foreigners can have credit cards. Foreigners can have debit cards, including Visa debit cards, that work abroad. Foreigners can have telephone lines and mobile phones. It’s just that you have to fight really hard to get them.

It was sad to see, however, the traffic department restrict foreigners’ driving licences out of sheer spite, and the central bank do the same regarding credit cards (a position they at least have been forced to correct). I had a 6-year driving licence 12 years ago and was happily using my Chang Hwa bank ATM card abroad in 1997. Progress, eh? Asia-Pacific Regional Operations Centre. Tee hee.

I found these messages on connectkaohsiung.com:

ICBC

Hey Taiwan,
If any of you have tried to get a Taiwan credit card from a bank, you know it’s a pretty sad song and dance unless you get a Taiwanese person to co-sign.
Reality check…try buying anything online or getting a hotel room when you travel without a card… It sucks.
Here’s the good part. International Bank of China (ICBC) will give a Visa card to anyone who opens an account with them. Here’s why:
It’s an “international debit card”. It has a Visa logo on it and is accepted everywhere Visa is, but…there’s no credit. ie, you must have the funds in your account.
Let me know if you have any problems,
Jason
www.moneytree.ws

Hi there,

In my quest to discover which banks in Taiwan are good and which are just plain useless, I discovered a couple things.

1. ICBC will give you a VISA enabled debit card . Useful for hotel stays, travelling, etc
  2. Both Taiwan Bank and ICBC allow you to keep foreign currency accounts. And the minimum deposit is very low (about $50-100 USD). Trust me, you don't want to keep a huge wad of NT sitting in Taiwan. The slightest political problem here can cause a 10% depreciation…easy.
    Good currencies to save include Canadian$, Australian$, and Swiss Frank.

Good Luck,
Jason
3StepSecret.com—Don’t be the last one to know

Problem with Visa Debit cards is after they empty your bank account it’s quite a palavar to get the money back. With a credit card you just refuse to pay the bill, but you still have the money in the bank to live on.

Would work if you religiously transfer money every payday to reduce the risk. I usually religiously transfer mine into Carnegie’s bank account for safe keeping.

ok, I applied for a debit card at ICBC this morning. It will take 10 days to recieve it.
All I had to do was open an N.T. dollar account with a few hundred N.T.

I asked about getting a debit card with a U.S. dollar account but they said it can’t be done.

The debit card can be used domestically with no charge so they said. But international transactions cost 300 n.t. --about the same as a bank money transfer.

They also tried selling me a USB ATM machine for home use–200 N.T. but I have no need for that even though it was very cool.

Next thing I tried doing (for anyone who is interested), was to deposit a bank check from a U.S. bank. They told me it would take a month to cash but that I couldn’t do it as I just opened an account. They said I would have much diffiiculty cashing it in any bank.
So, I went to the Far Eastern International Bank where I have had an account for a few years.
They at first said they could do it in about 30 day but then the manager refused to because my record there is considered high risk—60,000 per month going through their bank isn’t enough I guess to qualify for this service :fume: So I closed my account with them on the spot.
Walked down the street to The Bank Of Overseas Chinese where I have an empty account and havn’t used it for about 4 years.
I show the check to the clerk and she just says she is sorry it will take 3 weeks to cash it! :bravo: No problem! She didn’t even know I had an account. Since I had just cancelled my account with Far Eas I went ahead and got a new IC ATM card with Bank of Overseas Chinese.

One of my ATM cards works with Cirrus and Maestro.