Foreigners in Taiwan only - Which party does your Taiwanese spouse, girl/boyfriend support?

Foreigners in Taiwan only - Which party do your Taiwanese spouse, girl/boyfriend support?

• KMT
  • DPP
  • PFP
  • TSU
  • TIP
  • Others
  • Don’t car

0 voters

There has been some posts regarding how welcome (or not) foreigners are in Taiwan, and the administrative obstacles we meet.
This has been, with several examples from the newpapers, been credited to the DPP. My wife if pro-DPP and I support her stance all the way

Are you sure that all this “discrimitation against foreigners” is not just a result of more open media, and stupid rules put in place by former presidents.

So, all foreigners, which paty do your Taiwanese spouse, girl-/boyfriend support?

My wife thinks they’re all corrupt, ignorant, inept buffoons (at best) but the ones she hates the most are the pro-unificationists.

Yeah, you got a point there. Maybe I should have asked who they despite least…

That more or less sums it up for my missus as well. She still votes DPP - when she votes, that is. I once scolded her for first wasting her ballot (by ticking all the small square boxes) and then complain that DPP didn’t win afterwards.

My wife has a visceral hatred for the DPP. Anything, so long as its not green.

I don’t like the KMT so I put a big black angry cross by their name to make sure they don’t win.

My wife hates Lian Zhan (Lien Chan) because he’s apparently a wife beater. Beyond that she’s fairly apolitical.

So what does this poll mean, the average laowai is more likely to marry a gal with sound democratic values and an independant spirit, or that those money/power-hungry vampires are too smart to have any truck with the likes of us?
I only had one gf who voted KMT, and that was because the candidate was female and had the same surname… needless to say she isn’t the one I married.

Fact is, after a lacklustre three years, none of my previously DPP-supporting friends are too enthusiastic about the party or its leader right now. My inlaws think the DPP are a bunch of well-intentioned but misguided, incompetent, impotent wimps.

She is a member of the DPP but she doesn’t seem to go to regular meetings. She’s been a campaign assistant for various green-hued politicians.

my husband as well as the rest of the family are DPP supporters … though sometimes they do think they are :[quote] a bunch of well-intentioned but misguided, incompetent, impotent wimps.[/quote]
but have to say we have to give them a break, how much can they do in one term after , what? 50 years of KMT ruling…
the democratic system in taiwan still got a lot of growing up to do… :wink:

My wife is a “throw out the bast***s” sort of voter.
She used to virulently hate the KMT when they were in power, she liked Mayor Chen Shui-bian, voted for him in the 2000 presidential elections to kick out the KMT (a rare kind of vote for a “mainlander” like her).

But since Ah-bian became president, she’s become deeply disappointed with him, and she would never vote for him again.
She’s not a Lien Chan fan either, so next year, she’ll probably just stay at home and won’t vote.

Like many Taiwanese, she’s not attached to any party, she only votes for candidates she likes, whatever their party affiliation.

This is going off-topic, but it’s something I’d like to know more about.

I’ve heard this from lots of people. Does anyone have any evidence? I’m told Lien’s wife has been to hospital after “falling down the stairs,” and that the man himself has been treated for overdoing the demon drink.

DPP

Has since I met him and hasn

My wife is a self-described

Just out of curiousity, what is the validity of your driver’s license? If it is only one year, then you can proudly say you are the victim of discrimination in at least one area, as there is no legal basis in Taiwan for determining the validity of a driver’s license in relation to one’s nationality, yet the local motor vehicle department does it as a matter of course. This is one of many small inconveniences and injustices.

Just out of curiousity, what is the validity of your driver’s license? If it is only one year, then you can proudly say you are the victim of discrimination in at least one area, as there is no legal basis in Taiwan for determining the validity of a driver’s license in relation to one’s nationality, yet the local motor vehicle department does it as a matter of course. This is one of many small inconveniences and injustices.[/quote]

It was based on the initial length of my first ARC, which was one year. When I get my new ARC next month (a 3-year ARC), I will get a three-year drivers license. At least that is what the lady at the driver’s license office in Taichung told me - not that she was nice about it. Apparently there IS a basis for ARC validity.

Not a legal one. Surprise. You’ve just faced random discrimination. And don’t even get me going about ARC extensions… :bluemad:

Bump…
We are getting close to the election and (maybe/hopefully) a successfull referendum. This old poll from last summer indicates that our spouse/girl-/boy-friends are more in favor of the “Green Camp”.
However, the heat is up, and there is a lot of new members on Forumosa that have not voted. So, here is your chance.

My signature reveal my position, not my spouse’s…

She, her parents and her four sisters will deliver seven sure votes for the pan-greens come Saturday, bless their hearts.

It’s not that they’re lifelong DPP supporters. Dad and I don’t know how many of the others voted for Lien Chan last time round, because he had the endorsement of their hero, Lee Teng-hui. But now they’ve seen the light more clearly and are going to do the indisputably right thing.

They all loathe Soong as much as any right-thinking person I’ve ever met inevitably does. I don’t have a lot to talk about with the pa-in-law, but one thing we can really chew the fat over is slanging off the abominable kneeling Gauleiter-in-waiting.