"Foreigners" pass immigration test

[quote]Thursday, Apr 27, 2006,Page 3

Advertising Advertising
Up to 96 percent of those who took the naturalization test have passed since testing began this January, Ministry of the Interior officials said on Tuesday. The officials said that as of the end of last month, 361 foreigners had taken the test, of which 347 had passed, which they claimed proved that the content of the test databank is appropriate. Reacting to criticism that some of the questions are too difficult or unrelated to daily life, the officials explained that they had invited experts, academics and related government agencies to work out the test questions.[/quote]

If immigrants have passed the immigration test and are now ROC citizens, why are they still being referred to as “foreigners?”

That should probably be a question on the test.

Did they ever become citizens, or just pass the test? This is Taiwan, I’m sure there are more hoops being created daily for foreigners to jump through in order to get citizenship. I am also quite sure that those hoops are different for each person applying :s

Expect the test to be changed or suspended while a commission is created to…study and reccomend improvements…in it.

If immigrants have passed the immigration test and are now ROC citizens, why are they still being referred to as “foreigners?”[/quote]

Well, they were still foreigners when they took the test, I guess. The article didn’t refer to them as foreigners after having passed the test, probably becuse by then, they were no longer foreigners.

[quote=“p”]
Well, they were still foreigners when they took the test, I guess. The article didn’t refer to them as foreigners after having passed the test, probably becuse by then, they were no longer foreigners.[/quote]

No offense, but you just don’t understand Chinese culture. Funny thing that happened to me in Vancouver on holiday one time: Came across a family of Taiwanese, obviously lost, and asked them in Mandarin if they needed help. Got them on their way and explained where they had to go, only to have one say “Wow, it sure was nice of that foreigner to help us”… :doh:

If immigrants have passed the immigration test and are now ROC citizens, why are they still being referred to as “foreigners?”[/quote]

Well, they were still foreigners when they took the test, I guess. The article didn’t refer to them as foreigners after having passed the test, probably becuse by then, they were no longer foreigners.[/quote]

Anyone that doesn’t appear to have chinese features will always been seen as ‘foreigners’. Unlike most Western countries where it’s expected to see a variety of people, it’ll take awhile (100 years?) before blacks, whites, indians and latinos will be seen as ‘local’.

:bravo: :notworthy: :bravo:

This one gets my vote for post of the month. I have never heard the whole taiwanese system summed up so well.
:bravo:

[quote=“citizen k”]
No offense, but you just don’t understand Chinese culture. Funny thing that happened to me in Vancouver on holiday one time: Came across a family of Taiwanese, obviously lost, and asked them in Mandarin if they needed help. Got them on their way and explained where they had to go, only to have one say “Wow, it sure was nice of that foreigner to help us”… :doh:[/quote]

Yes, it seems that the word Waiguoren isn’t location specific… its just got a different meaning to the western word of foreigner. It means “outside of Chinese culture”, not an outsider to the community of country X.

Although I’ve never ever heard the Japanese referred to as “waiguoren” even though they are… in fact, now that I think about it, its often exclusively used for “europeans” whereas I’ve heard black people referred to as Heiren.

Happens all the time.

Happens all the time.[/quote]
Sure does. Every time I go abroad, I’m surrounded by foreigners.

When I go back to the States, I always think of how strange it is to see so many foreigners in one place. I never stay long enough to stop thinking of them as waiguoren.

Anyone that doesn’t appear to have Chinese features will always been seen as ‘foreigners’. Unlike most Western countries where it’s expected to see a variety of people, it’ll take awhile (100 years?) before blacks, whites, indians and latinos will be seen as ‘local’.[/quote]

100 years? I think it’ll take a damn sight longer than that. If ever…

I have a mate of European, read white, (who posts on this site so I wont mention names) who holds a Taiwanese passport. He once told me he was doing a job unrelated to teaching and was hassled by FA Policeman over work visa’s etc. The FAP wasn’t convinced until he showed him his passport…

The trend is…Non Chinese=Waiguoren, White waiguoren=American and Heiren=from Africa!! I mean c’mon. Everyone knows all whiteys come from America and there are no whiteys in Africa…

Who are they these foreigners? Why would they take a test to become a citizen? Tests, tests, tests … Taiwan, nation of tests, a test for everything … testing … :wink:

[quote=“bismarck”]

I have a mate of European, read white, (who posts on this site so I wont mention names) who holds a Taiwanese passport. He once told me he was doing a job unrelated to teaching and was hassled by FA Policeman over work visa’s etc. The FAP wasn’t convinced until he showed him his passport…

The trend is…Non Chinese=Waiguoren, White waiguoren=American and Heiren=from Africa!! I mean c’mon. Everyone knows all whiteys come from America and there are no whiteys in Africa…[/quote]

Well I’ve had that problem too.

When I left Taiwan on Friday I handed my passport to the check in lass who politely commented on me being “Taiwanese”

I had more fun with the holiday Inn here in Bangkok cause the lasses here couldnt just put my face to my Chinese name which I travel under. Same her in the Business Centre of the hotel. What’s you room number sir? But surely that’s not you the name doesnt seem to match up lol.

Anyways most people are surprised and pleased when they actually meet a whitey with an ROC ID Card. Not too many foreigners are cause they usually bet me I havent got one hehehehehe.

There’s thousands of them :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Wel all get an ROC ID card in the end though. I had a very toturous time but it was worth it. Took me 28 months from start to finish.

[quote=“Tyc00n”][quote=“citizen k”]

Although I’ve never ever heard the Japanese referred to as “waiguoren” even though they are… in fact, now that I think about it, its often exclusively used for “Europeans” whereas I’ve heard black people referred to as Heiren.[/quote][/quote]

When I was looking for an appartment in Taibei a japanese classmate wanted to help me and introduced me to her landlord and his wife. During that introduction my classmate and I had to communicate in chinese for she didn`t speak english. The landlords just looked at each other and said “How funny - two waiguoren speaking Chinese with each other!” So actually they saw my classmate as waiguoren.

To be honest, actually that was the first time it ever occured to me that Taiwanese people might think of Japanese as foreign. To me they seemed to be so related for Japan is so close to Taiwan. And then Asian features, you know… I`m still embarrassed. :blush: