Foreigners should speak the local lingo!

Why is it shameful? Its a tool, nothing more. If you can get by comfortably without it, why bother? Some kind of “respect” thing? But what if you simply don’t respect the speakers at all? Why then should someone learn Chinese? I don’t get it. :ponder:[/quote]

You live in a country and call it your home, you should learn to become at least somewhat functional in the language. I know being able to use Chinese makes my life much easier and richer in so many ways.

If you don’t respect the speakers, perhaps you should find another country to live in.

I don’t respect many English speakers. Maybe that’s why I chose to leave England.

It’s quite an odd mindset that dictates that visitors who contribute in many other ways should tread on eggshells around “the locals” when it comes to language and politics. A long-term resident here who does not learn the language is not disrespectful. It is perfectly possible to have a full, fulfilling and useful existence here without being able to speak Mandarin or Taiwanese, as evidenced by many good people on these boards. I know we all like to feel good about things we’ve achieved, and credit to you for learning Mandarin (it’s not easy, I know), but I don’t buy this “respect” argument at all. It’s not like the people who don’t speak the language are marching around town, demanding that people speak to them in English, and getting angry when they don’t. People tailor their lives to their circumstances, and just like I don’t take Caribbean holidays each year (can’t afford it), Sandman has to miss out on local TV talk shows and discussing politics with taxi drivers (can’t understand it). The poor bastard.

[quote=“ludahai”]
If you don’t respect the speakers, perhaps you should find another country to live in.[/quote]
Why? I can make more money here, and have a much easier life.

Whew! For a minute there… but this lets me off the hook – I call my home my home. I don’t call Taiwan my home, any more than I’d call any other country my home. Its not a concept I grasp.

The simple fact is that I have absolutely no need of more than basic Chinese and never have, so if I were to study it, it be purely as a hobby, and I already have too many of those.

This actually happens a lot, and it really frustrates me when it does.

What’s the point in being a foreigner if you’re just going to speak the local language? If you want to talk to people in their own language you should just stay home.

Doc! You like to make me 'ead asplode! :ponder:

[quote]You live in a country and call it your home, you should learn to become at least somewhat functional in the language.[/quote]I don’t like saying “you should.” It’s a choice, not an obligation and it’s not a necessity for may people who live here.

[quote]I know being able to use Chinese makes my life much easier and richer in so many ways.[/quote]I agree. It makes day to day life much more convenient and richer, too. Personally, I became very motivated to learn more and more once I realized that I could not understand everything my boy was saying in Chinese. I started studying Chinese and I have kept up since then. I have grown pretty passionate about it. In our house, we speak English only on even days and Chinese only on odd days. It’s good for the boy and for me but the wife and son keep cheating on even days. :fume:

[quote=“sandman”]
Whew! For a minute there… but this lets me off the hook – I call my home my home. I don’t call Taiwan my home, any more than I’d call any other country my home. Its not a concept I grasp.
[/quote]I will let my signature be my reply to you.

Yeah wish they would tell the millions of people who live in my country (the U.S.) to learn American. Free fucking classes we give them. Libraries full of learning materials, teachers who learn how to teach the language, academics who do research on teaching the language–unlike Chinese the language nobody cares about teaching.

And on telephone recordings “Push 1 if you want English” give me a break. I wish they just had buttons installed on their foreheads.

Most foreigners here should learn Chinese, I mean we don’t work hard after all. After a 8 hour shift of shouting into the faces of 4 year olds or riding a 9 hour shift in an office cubicle filled with farts and smells of your coworker’s lunch box of horror after yet another 3 hour meeting what better way to relax than to schlep halfway across the city after work to sit in a dimly lit, unheated classroom and PAY to listen to some unmarried 50 year old in polyester pants teach me a language that has two systems for writing. Fuck me --what? Yeah, China uses a simplified version which is different. They had to simplify it because it’s too damn hard to learn by people who speak it. That’s like Chinese for retarded people I guess.
How about the tones-surely they could indicate tones in their characters like in Vietnamese script. Nope. Wow I guess that’s why the Vietnamese shit-canned using Chinese characters. Maybe in the next Cultural Revolution when they destroy their own culture they can fix the
fucking writing system and plumbing.

Being literate in a second language has huge advantages when you are learning it. It just that most working adults don’t have the time or energy to study.

“But I know people who have lived here for 20 years who don’t know anything more than basic Chinese characters… really shameful if you ask me…”

It ain’t shameful, Bud.

How many Chinese characters have you ever forgotten how to write?

Sin City? I’d vote for that.

I’ve lived in Taiwan for five years and have been constantly told that I ‘should’ learn the language. Married to a local, check. Spoke English, check. Can I get along alright with the basic of basic expressions I’ve heard enough to remember, check. True I could have a more interesting life if I could argue in Mandarin that there are more than one way to skin a cat, but heck I’m pretty sure my mom-in-law would still insist how she skins it is the ‘only’ way to do it. Would I like to learn the language? Sure, someday, somehow. In the meantime, I get along fine with what I know, thanks very much. Do have a little understanding for some of us here who don’t have the time or the energy to learn a third language. Kudos to you for doing a great job at it. :2cents:

You can get along fine as long as you are okay with relying and trusting on other people to help you with almost everything official…and there a lot of ‘official’ things in Taiwan. Now it happens that I do speak Chinese quite well but I still leave it to the wife to take care of most of the official stuff…it’s easier for me, but not for her I guess. Learning to speak Chinese is not that difficult…reading/writing I can understand takes a lot of time.

Point taken. Truth be told, I’ve come to realize that being literate in Mandarin is the only way to have a better, more informed and more involved life here. Of course, that’s not true for everybody, I say ‘Live and let live’. It’s the prescribing and telling people what they ‘ought’ to do that got to me.

I think possibly the ‘less informed’ bit is part of why people don’t like to learn Chinese that much.

The less Chinese you speak, the less you’re expected to know things, ergo, the less you’re expected to do or be responsible for. Just makes life a lot easier, providing you’re smart enough to keep your head on your shoulders and have sensible provisions set aside in case you ever get screwed (which gets less and less likely the longer you’ve been there, as you get used to how things are and have more people you can trust to stop you getting screwed).

:2cents:

The people who say it’s “shameful” that some foreigners can’t speak Chinese are of the same mind-set as people in the U.S. who scream “Speak English, Motherfucker!” at the guy who is about to paint their house. Why are you ashamed of me? What gives you the right to feel in any way responsible for me? Is it because I make “all foreigners look bad?” Haha, lots of you people don’t need any help in besmirching the foreigner reputation.

Going back to the U.S. for a moment. Sure, some people say that Pedro needs to speak some English if he wants to paint American houses. But he’s painting houses cuz he doesn’t know how to do anything else. Do you think Pedro would be baking in the hot sun if he’d had the opportunity to get a college degree? Fuck no. Likewise, chances are you’re here to provide a service that a local cannot or will not do. Only the most noble of morons would be wallowing in a buxiban despite being fluent in Mandarin.

I know we’re not talking about fluency here. We foreigners are tolerated in Asia for one reason: money. We are walking ATMs as far as they are concerned. It behooves them to learn a little bit of English if they want our money. Otherwise, both parties can fuck off.

That said, it also behooves a foreigner in Taiwan to learn enough Chinese to ask directions or order a sandwich, not by some gesture of cultural respect, but those are two things you’re going to be doing a lot of.

Every time I hear a long-term expat (or even a local) bitch about language-less foreigners I think of two things.

1. What’s the point of all these fucking buxibans?
  2. Instead of saying “Speak Chinese or Go Home” shouldn’t you be saying, “Speak Chinese or Go Home but Leave Your Money Here”?

I can see both sides of the argument, and as with anything it’s not a black and white, “either you should or you shouldn’t learn situation”. Everyone’s situation is unique. But in trying to really objectively analyze this one, I thought about the same situation in the US, at least from my perspective, and I have to say I personally would never live in a country long-term without being able to communicate effectively in that country’s native language. (With the exception of countries in which 80%+ of the people speak fluent English).

As a child, I had a Vietnamese babysitter who had emigrated to the USA about 16 years previous. Her English wasn’t perfect but she certainly spoke well enough to be a productive member of society. As a result, from the perspective of a five year old, I saw her as another “normal person”.

On the other hand, the few times I encountered people who lived in the states and didn’t speak a lick of English (mostly illegal Mexicans where I grew up), consciously or not they were basically non-entities to me. I don’t believe it’s a racist thing, either, as I was actively learning Spanish at the time, and tried to talk with some of them when the opportunity arose.

I think it was just the fact that here you have this community of people within a larger community that stuck to their own customs and languages, having no time or perhaps just not wanting to expend the effort to become a true member of the larger community. Now if it was a city of 90% Spanish speakers in the states? Sure, at that point they have their own complete society and I can see why one might not feel the need English in that situation, in fact I probably wouldn’t.

Again, not learning English is certainly their right, as it is the right of anyone living in Taiwan to not learn Chinese, but from my perspective, I kind of always felt like these people where living a sad, limited life - completely powerless to do anything other than whatever invariably mundane job they were currently doing. Better than the life they would have had in Mexico, I’m sure, and they can always go back. But knowing that I myself would never want to be in that position makes me feel bad for them. And if I planned on living in Taiwan indefinitely, with English teaching as my only option, I know I would feel the same way about myself.

For me, it’s just a part of being human - being able to communicate with the majority of people around you. Actually I think I’d probably go insane if I couldn’t!

[quote=“drvelocity”]I can see both sides of the argument, and as with anything it’s not a black and white, “either you should or you shouldn’t learn situation”. Everyone’s situation is unique. But in trying to really objectively analyze this one, I thought about the same situation in the US, at least from my perspective, and I have to say I personally would never live in a country long-term without being able to communicate effectively in that country’s native language. (With the exception of countries in which 80%+ of the people speak fluent English).

As a child, I had a Vietnamese babysitter who had emigrated to the USA about 16 years previous. Her English wasn’t perfect but she certainly spoke well enough to be a productive member of society. As a result, from the perspective of a five year old, I saw her as another “normal person”.

On the other hand, the few times I encountered people who lived in the states and didn’t speak a lick of English (mostly illegal Mexicans where I grew up), consciously or not they were basically non-entities to me. I don’t believe it’s a racist thing, either, as I was actively learning Spanish at the time, and tried to talk with some of them when the opportunity arose.

I think it was just the fact that here you have this community of people within a larger community that stuck to their own customs and languages, having no time or perhaps just not wanting to expend the effort to become a true member of the larger community. Now if it was a city of 90% Spanish speakers in the states? Sure, at that point they have their own complete society and I can see why one might not feel the need English in that situation, in fact I probably wouldn’t.

Again, not learning English is certainly their right, as it is the right of anyone living in Taiwan to not learn Chinese, but from my perspective, I kind of always felt like these people where living a sad, limited life - completely powerless to do anything other than whatever invariably mundane job they were currently doing. Better than the life they would have had in Mexico, I’m sure, and they can always go back. But knowing that I myself would never want to be in that position makes me feel bad for them. And if I planned on living in Taiwan indefinitely, with English teaching as my only option, I know I would feel the same way about myself.

For me, it’s just a part of being human - being able to communicate with the majority of people around you. Actually I think I’d probably go insane if I couldn’t![/quote]
You’re absolutely right but somewhat idealistic. Tossing around words like “community” kind of pricks my ears. While Fox News throws ‘anchor babies’ out the window of a speeding car, we all could use a little more empathy. Sure. :neutral: I’d like to believe the issue isn’t about cultural assimilation, it’s about convenience. Pedro should speak enough English to meet his needs – or, or, and this is true about almost every city in the world with an immigrant population about 2% – spend his free time in the barrio or Chinatown. Fifteen hours a day of putting up drywall? Who the fuck has time or energy to learn “I would like to go to the hotel” when every other cab driver speaks fluent, albeit subject to dialect Spanish?

Meanwhile, all it takes is a couple of days on the mainland before you start thinking, “Fuck! I need to sharpen my Mandarin skills.” Problem solved in spite of yourself. The main sticking point is, YOU DON’T HAVE TO SPEAK A WORD OF MANDARIN TO GET BY IN TAIPEI CITY. There’s no inherent need. No driving force. No impetus. As previously noted by other posters, for some laowai, the less Mandarin they speak, the better. They call us barking dogs behind our back. Don’t be so sensitive, super_lucky, yes I can hear you. At the end of the day, when it’s all said and done, when the fat lady sings, when the final shoe drops, when worst comes to worst, when you’re at the end of your rope, the only question you need ask yourself is: did I get what I wanted or did I get what I needed?

[quote=“ludahai”][color=#800000]Moderator note: This topic was split from a discussion about [url=Xinbei City? County being renamed Xinbei City[/url][/color]

[quote=“Anatoli”][quote=“QAM”]

Think integrated and you won’t need united. If Taiwanese can design chips, they and we can name locations with a variety of systems, as writers see fit.[/quote]

These are slogans, meanwhile Taiwanese place and street names are being romanised as writers see fit making foreigners wonder, which street is which.[/quote]

Which is why I typically read the Chinese on the signs… nothing to worry about…[/quote]

[quote=“In July of 2003, ludahai”]I am new to this forum. I am an American who lives in Taichung, or is it Taijhong (Taizhong), or Taizhong, I am confused.

Although I support Taiwan’s independence, Taiwan really should adopt the Hanyu Pinyin system and use it for all of the signs. I have seen the same place spelt 3, 4 or more different ways. I usually just read the Chinese on the signs, but I know that isn’t an option for fellow foreigners who can’t read Chinese.[/quote]

I guess some event or process in the seven years since your first post accounts for difference between its tone and that of some of your recent posts.

You really looked back at someone’s posts from seven years ago to find that… uhh… they said pretty much the exact same thing? :unamused:

Yes, I really did–well, one post, to be exact.

You and I must have different definitions of the word same.

[quote=“I”]I guess some event or process in the seven years since your first post accounts for difference between its tone and that of some of your recent post
s
.[/quote]

The above was in response to ludahai’s post that I quoted earlier, and to the following:

I quoted ludahai’s words out of context to some extent–for which I apologize to ludahai–but I can’t quote the whole thread.