Some foreigners will need to pay for using eGate

I guess 55 seems really, really old to you, right?

Anyway, it’s all just a flash in the pan.

e-Gate service free for foreign residents, agency confirms

But foreign nationals with resident status in Taiwan will not be affected by the draft regulations, the NIA confirmed.

The agency also said that based on the principal of reciprocity, if other countries do not charge Taiwanese for such services, then Taiwan will not require nationals from that country to pay the fee.

It cited the example of the United States, saying that Taiwan is part of the U.S. Global Entry program, which requires Taiwanese to pay US$100 when using the automated immigration clearance system.

Based on the principle of reciprocity, U.S. passengers applying for e-Gate service will have to pay NT$3,000.

So, foreign non-residents from non-reciprocating countries like the US will have to pay, and foreign residents will not have to pay. It’s still not quite clear whether visitors from countries that don’t have egates will have to pay.

It’s a first world problem. If your country doesn’t have an e-gate, you don’t have to use an e-gate.

If your country does have an e-gate, you still don’t have to use an e-gate.

1 Like

I cannot tell from the English version, but I wonder if they mean they will charge to use the egate from visitors, in a direct copy paste from the US Global Entry program. Gee, not very helpful for tourism and business trips business. US can get away with it because of toute monopoly, Taiwan is not in the same position.

55 years old is teh average age of our bosses in gummit biz.

I politely disagree. Until the clarification from the NIA that foreign residents do not need to pay, this was not a first world problem at all. eGate is a system paid for by tax revenue - that includes the tax revenues from ARC and APRC holders. It’s about an equitable position in this society, something I believe is very fundamental to one’s longterm wellbeing.

2 Likes

I’m happy that permanent residents won’t have to pay. However…

I still feel if Taiwan really needs the money to fund this great system, it should just charge everyone who wants to sign up. That would be fair, and would be more in line with modeling the US system, if that’s the intent.

ANYONE who is eligible can choose to pay for the convenience, or choose to go the regular route.

1 Like

22 posts were split to a new topic: Should foreigners be equal? (split from egate)

Whole thing doesn’t seem to make any sense, my understanding is that you need to have an ARC in order to register to use the eGate as a foreigner. If ARC holders are not going to be charged and non-arc holders can’t use the eGate then who will be charged?

3 Likes

I already pay taxes, no way I should pay for a far cheaper system to operate than the one that already exists !

:rofl:This will keep all you barbarians at the gate hahaha

1 Like

I agree. This sounds like something a bunch of morons got together without a real plan and decided. They really don’t have money to install and operate a coupl more e gates? There’s what, 4 international airports? How much do they need really?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Should foreigners be equal? (split from egate)

This thread was like a boiling frog, and it’s now been split.

http://tw.forumosa.com/t/should-foreigners-be-equal-split-from-egate/161404/

Let’s all try to stay civil and on-topic. :slight_smile:

A little clarification (or backpedaling?):

1 Like

The ox and the moron

Keep up Doctor! :smiley:

Yeah, but it doesn’t count till a mouthpiece like the the TT prints it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Korean Smart Entry is a flat US $100.00 fee for foreigners, free for Koreans.
U.S. Global Entry also $100, but for both U.S. citizens and eligible foreigners.
FYI.

Are you sure? Seems Koreans pay the 100 too.
http://www.ses.go.kr/ses/GeApplMethodR_en.ses#charge_txt_4

The program seems to be open only for residents.
http://www.ses.go.kr/ses/SesObjectR_en.ses

Interesting their process is linked to the US program -maybe that is why such charges. Their application process included backgropund check, prsenting criminal records, etc. For us not.

The US is an exceptional place that everyone needs to do business with. Im not American but it’s the truth. The US can get away with doing lots of stuff. Taiwan can’t