Foreigners Work on Taiwan Human Rights Event

I got this notice today and thought I would pass it along. It is interesting (and true) that foreigners did much to prop up human rights in Taiwan. And as you would expect the dear locals are always quick to say “thanks” and show their appreciation–not!

Be that as it may, here is the notice. One caveat, this is being sponsored by Taiwan Foundation for Democracy which (I strongly guess) is aligned with one of the fringe political parties here on Fantasy Island.

If you are interested RSVP them as indicated in the notice. I will not be going myself as I have to work to keep a roof over my family’s head.

take care,
Brian

SEMINAR ON FOREIGNERS

I went to the initial press conference, at which the following web site was mentioned. Unfortunately the link to “English” doesn’t go anywhere.

www.2003hr.net

It’s a little hard to read some of the info above, so here’s the schedule for Tuesday: [quote]09:00-10:30
Formosa Magazine and the Meili Dao Incident, 1979

10:45-12:00
Social Movements and the Democratization under Martial Law

14:00-15:30
Role of the International Press

15:30-16:45
Martial Law and Its Dismantling: Chiang Ching-kuo’s role for Taiwan’s democratization[/quote]

I went this morning and think this will continue to be worth attending.

The organization’s Web site is www.taiwandemocracy.org.tw.

For a brief interview with one of the participants, see Being on the Right Side of History.

I didn’t think that there was anything I could contribute, so I did not go. I am quite upset in the way that certain “non-Taiwanese” are treated here in Taiwan, especially –
(1) overseas Chinese (who get ROC passports but are not entitled to “residency rights” in the ROC, in direct violation of UN Conventions),
(2) stateless persons (who are required to produce all types of paperwork that is impossible to produce in order to “prove” their STATELESS STATUS),
(3) foreigners (who are frequently subject to harassment due to a loose interpretation that they have “violated their purpose of residency”).

Since none of these topics were on the agenda . . . . . I decided to stay home.

Most of the foreigners at the conference were deported and blacklisted – and they’re certainly willing to talk about it. One woman told me that she was unable to get back in as recently as three years ago. :shock: