Forget the gym - get a bike!

Joe

Agreed. From the outset I said I was a bike snob and said that I personally started out cheap - became addicted - and well… look at me now… I love this sport and love my bike. Sad? Sure it is… :smiley: But I enjoy it.

The off road riding community is pretty tight in Taipei. The guys at FFTA always welcome new riders, so if anyone wants a ride give them a call.

Keep a look out on the motorcycle touring thread for shocking new evidence of my anal obsession with motorcycle riding… :wink:

The riverside bike paths are one of the best kept secrets of Taipei. Since the riverbanks are mostly walled off, few people know about them. But ironically, the walls keep out the auto exhaust in addition to people. I feel like I’m in a different world once I’m outside the wall, far from the madding crowd. MT, you should go ride in late afternoon on a weekday sometime. Nobody’s out there, just you and your bike. Sometimes you get chased by stray dogs, but that’ll just test your leg muscles and bikesmanship. The river doesn’t always smell, depending on the tide.

On the mountain biking side, like AWOL pointed out, Taipei has some good trails. Maokong in Muzha is my fave. The challenge is getting up there. Need to be fit and have 21 gears or more. Have fun!

I wish I could ride in the afternoon on a weekday, Incubus, but my employer would frown on it. When I was self-employed in California I did it all the time. I’d often be sitting in my office at 2 in the afternoon, the sun shining in my window and I’d say “fuck it, I’m outta here.” Maybe that’s why I’m still saving up for a house at my old age. I’m not sure I’m cut out for the freedom of self-employment.

But I was out there riding on the other side of the wall this morning at 6:30 with all the old geezers on their morning walks. That’s also a nice time for riding. Get a bike Bu en lai.

Incubus

Maokong used to be our fave as well until we discovered Wu Zhr Shan, WuLai, Bei Tou, hidden trails in Mu Zha… list gos on. Maokong hasnt been ridden by me in over 2 years as it just pails compared to the others out there… while Maokong (the trail I know) is about 50-50 road-dirt the others I mentioned are more like 2-98…

I like Maokong because it’s a nice, long intermediate trail (except for that last kamikazi section). I don’t mind the paved sections as they give me a chance to catch my breath. I tried the Beitou trail, a.k.a. Battleship Rock, a few times. While it was fun, the adrenaline level was just a bit too high for me. Kinda like skiing moguls. But then again, with better equipment, like a downhill bike with 5’’ travel, I’ll probably get more enjoyment out of some of the more challenging ones.

Hey! You’re talkin’ about my old man there. Careful what you say! Oh but yeah, he’s a nutter alright.

OK…forget what I said about counting me in… :blush: …I don’t wanna be left alone at some lonely kamikaze trail, just because I’m not as fast and danger-proof as you guys… :shock: But if you ever start with beginners trail, then I’ll think about it again… :laughing:

Any tips on where to ride in Taichung?

Chica

Theres been some posts on forums.formosanfattire.com recently about trails in Taichung. Plus there is inorbitt.com which is run by a chap based in Taichung. Log on and ask some people.

Sorry, but I can’t stop raving about bicycling beside the river. Incubus was exactly right when he said, “The riverside bike paths are one of the best kept secrets of Taipei.”

I’ve been riding beside the river during the week in the mornings, past vast empty green fields covered with dew, sparrows flying out as I pass, shore birds crying out from beside the river, the shiny buildings of Nehu looking beautiful reflected in the still water and the city in the background not yet filled with smog. It’s really very peaceful.

And on a Saturday morning at least a dozen baseball games are going on, people are kicking soccer balls around, kids playing hockey in a nice roller hockey rink, a group of east Indians playing cricket shouted out cheers and asked me to join them, some folk picnicing in the grass, others shooting hoops, what looks like a bocci tournament, lots of children learning to ride bikes and everywhere folks walking and jogging on the paths beside the river.

And the bike itself: fantastic. Sure, for US$82 it’s nothing fancy but it runs great and I feel myself getting in better shape with every ride – faster and more fun than the gym. Bu, I hope you’ll get one soon. Please contact me, I’ll be happy to get together to go riding.

MT,

You’re only beginning to discover the secret. From your description of the scenary, I gather you ride along the Jilong River, which is nice. But I suggest you also check out the paths along the Danshui River, on both the Taipei city side and the Taipei county side. Talk about a change of scenary! Danshui is much wider and has a majestic feel to it with Yangmingshan in the backdrop. If you follow it upstream (going south), you’ll come to a bird sanctuary. Bring binoculars and you can do some birdwatching. On the Taipei county side, you have the longest bike lane in Taiwan–a 20k loop around SanChong and LuZhou. I hear there’s a new path, an off shoot of the loop, that leads to XinZhuang, but haven’t had a chance to check it out. Happy riding!

Going to the buy the bike this afternoon MT (as long as my cold doesn’t get worse).

I’m going to the Giant shop on the corner of Xinyio and Jianguo near Da An Park. I’ve never bought a bike beforew except offf friends so what should I look for. I want one about 3000NT like what you got. Any suggestions of what to look at. Do they bargain much in these bike shops or should I just try and get them to throw in a lock, water-bottle holder, toe clips and maybe a light for free?

Any advice in the next two hours or so would be appreciated. After that it’ll be too late (for me anyway).

Brian

Hey Bu,

There’s three bike shops along that strip. Don’t just get the first bike you see at the Giant. Walk down Jianguo, and you’ll find a Merida shop, and then further down (less than 100 meters) there’s a KHS shop. Do some comparing before you decide. Definitely ask for any freebies they can throw in, like a lock, kickstand, water bottle frame, handlebar extension grips, helmet (maybe).

the bike shop on the cnr of xinyi and jienguo is easily the worst store in taipei. i would never buy anything from them. their stock is usually out of date and selling for the same price as the latest bike at another shop. they have been openly rude to me (white) and my wife (taiwanese) on nearly everything occassion we have been to their shop. thet rarely discount either (this has been mine and numerous foreign friend experience with this place)

there are so many other excellent shops in taipei - avoid this one.

around the da-an park i would try seven peaks, or jimmys.

check formosanfattire.com for bike shop details

Well I bought the bike on Saturday. The shop the AWOL warned about :cry: Nevermind, I checked the next one and couldn’t get a better deal for what I wanted. Paid 3900 for what MT got for 3100, plus an aluminium frame so it’s lighter and the Shimano gears which are better. Got them to throw in 500NT worth of stuff, but they wouldn’t throw in anymore. Anyway I’m very happy with it.

I live 2 mins from the entrance to the waterside paths that goes from Youth Park on one side to Machangding(sp) on the other, Not far from the Zhong Zheng bridge. The bike paths there are great. Sofar I’ve only managed to get out on two rides. The first was down to Fuhe Bridge and I could have kept going to Yongfu bridge on an official bike path. Actually I suspect you may be able to ride as far as Bitan with maybe a couple of minor detours onto the roads. Anyone know? The second I rode the other direction past abotu 5 bridges to Zhongxin Bridge. Even after the official bike path had ended it was easy riding through the ‘Duck Park’. At Zhongxin Bridge I stopped not wanting to go around the corner on the ‘motorclycle express way’ in the dark, but I think getting past that you can ride all the way to where the Damshui River meets the Jilong River.

I have a map which shows all the official cycle paths and there’s a lot of them. It also seems that you can ride a lot of it even where there isn’t an official path. Going to explore some in the weekend. I think I’ll see if I can make it to Bitan and then back on the Zhonghe/Yonghe side. Anyone want to come?

brian

Glad you got the bike brian. Maybe I’ll join you this weekend, don’t know, not sure exactly where you’re talking about, gotta check my map.

Where’d you get the map showing bike paths?

edit: Never mind, I just opened a Taipei MRT Tourist maap and see a path goes a long way beside teh river, north from YungHo, starting at the drinking water museum all the way up to the mouth of the Keelung; and another one starts heading north from just across the river from the museum. Those on either side of the Keelung River near the Sunghsan airport don’t appear quite as good, but they’ll do.

Someone asked me the quickest way to the river paths from near Warner Village. I guess that would be to get on Keelung Rd and head straight to the river, maybe a 10 minute ride from City Hall, although I dont know if theres a gate in the river wall there. You might need to ride along next to the wall until you encounter a gate. That’s what I did the first time.

Yes, but not as easy as you think. The bike path ends at the old Jingmei Bridge, which goes over Jingmei Creek. To get to Bitan, you have to cross the Jingmei bridge and ride through a section of XinDian and get on the riverbank of XinDian River (This part is too complicated to explain here; just study your map.) Once you get in the riverside park in XinDian, trace the river upstream. There’s a nice off-road section as you approach Bitan along XinDian River.

That’s right. The motorcycles will all disappear shortly after you pass Zhongxiao Bridge. The section after that is brand new, complete with speed bumps for bicycles.

Thanks Incubus, it’s pretty much as I expected then. It would be really cool if they joined up and extended all the bike paths. Take that bit by the Zhongxin Bridge for example. To get around that corner, they;d jsut need to bild a little ramp, then mark the bike path all the way through the Duck Park to join it up.

MT I’d love to join up you for a ride, but it would be a long way for either of us to go to get started. That;s one of the reasons why it would be great if you could take bikes on the MRT. To me this seems up Ma Ying Jiu’s alley. Extend and promote the cycle-paths, allow bikes on the MRT and encourage good healthy family exercise. Great photo-ops for Mayor Ma cycling with smiling families along the riverside.

Brian

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Someone asked me the quickest way to the river paths from near Warner Village. I guess that would be to get on Keelung Rd and head straight to the river, maybe a 10 minute ride from City Hall.[/quote]
Actually, there’s a river in either direction. If you go north as MT suggested, you’ll get to Jilong River. If you go south on Jilong Rd. toward GongGuan, you’ll come to Xindian River. Both rivers have a bike path along their banks.