Forgot to cancel NHI -- do I need to pay?

Hello, I used to live in Taiwan for 5 years, I left a year and a half ago and now someone told me they receive a letter saying I owed some money because I didnt pay my NHI… They told me I had to cancel my insurance before I left, but I have some friends who never canceled their NHI and they didnt have any problems. Does anybody knows what are the proceedings to do that? Because I havent been in Taiwan for a very long time and I really do not have anything else there… Also I know it sounds bad but what happens if I dont pay it? I mean I wasnt living there anymore and I am currently living in another country where I plan to live in until I die… Any ideas of what should I do???

If you don’t ever plan on coming back to Taiwan just ignore it. If you want to be nice about it you can contact the NHI through their webpage, show then the date of your plane ticket when you left and ask them to double check if you really owe anything.

1 Like

It’s an enormous pain in the ass to cancel if you’re actually physically present in Taiwan. Outside of Taiwan, you can forget it unless you speak fluent Mandarin and have time to waste on the phone and sending emails back and forth. Even then, you’ll need someone with your ID and power of attorney back in Taiwan to handle things for you on the ground.

Did your arc expire when you left? (Likely)
If so I’d call them up and say that you left already, you don’t have an arc. Because the rules are no arc no nhi. So you weren’t covered anyway.

The issue is that NHI doesn’t know that you left, immigration doesn’t let them know, so for all they know you are a deadbeat living there still.

Their phone number +886-2-2706-5866
Their web form http://opinion.nhi.gov.tw/iftpa/PA01T06.php

Or like already said, if you are never coming back just ignore it