Former President Lee Teng-hui passes away (1923-2020)

We all knew it was coming sooner rather than later but still kind of hits you like a truck…Rest in Peace.

3 Likes

In my opinion, he was the greatest Taiwanese politician in the history of the ROC. Rest in Peace.

4 Likes

Living to 97 is an accomplishment in itself. Let alone his work for Taiwan.

4 Likes

Wild video.

Made me all nostalgic.

1 Like

His Japanese English is truly wild/hilarious. I never knew that.

And the young kids with Taiwan Independence signs. Plus the Chinese kids across the road crying about splitting China. Some things just haven’t changed at all. I half expected to see a little THIS IS KILLING.

Taiwan’s story is one the great dramas of our time, and here is one of the stars of the show passing before the ending is even written. Bittersweet, to say the least, but a full life by any measure.

6 Likes

Taiwan has not been meaningfully tied in a political sense to China since 1895, when the authorities in Beijing signed off on it in perpetuity. It’s time to let go of the dream, folks!

Guy

What a great long life, praise and honor!

Thank god he didnt die from the china sickness!

Agree, and it’s a story made utterly compelling by the everyday decency of Taiwanese people, who are among the finest walking this planet imo.

It’s incredible that a nation as fine as Taiwan in 2020 could emerge from the violence of the 1980s KMT’s dictatorial stranglehold. It speaks strongly to the nature and heart of Taiwanese, in my opinion.

Somebody deserves a big fat cigar, you ask me.

8 Likes

An overview of Lee’s life, with some remarkable photos, has been posted in today’s Taipei Times:

Guy

6 Likes

He succeeded president Chiang Ching-kuo (蔣經國), who died on Jan. 13, 1988, although the move was opposed by many Mainlanders within the KMT, including Chiang Kai-shek’s widow, Soong Mayling (宋美齡), who returned from the US to help other conservative Mainlanders to sideline Lee as president and block his accession to the KMT chairmanship.

I never knew this.

4 Likes

Yeah, his insisting on the nomination of Lien Chan as KMT presidential candidate in order to throw the election to Chen Shui-bian was amazing. Watching Soong split the Blue vote was icing on the cake.

5 Likes

Anyone know if his wagyu beef ever made it to market?

1 Like
3 Likes

will this supplant 我家牛排’s beef supply?

I always assumed their steaks were made of cockroach protein…

1 Like

yes. that’s my point. Only time I got sick from beef in Taiwan was at the one on Heping E. Rd. across DaAn park. Never been back. That was mid-1990s

1 Like

Ha ha. Yeah, I went there once and it was crawling with roaches.

They’ll have got a new batch of beef in by now. :rofl:

Feel free to fuck off already…

2 Likes