Former president - off his food, again

If you were Chen Shui Bian, would you want . . .

• Just a glass of water, thanks
  • Life sentence, please (let’s end this circus)
  • The Peking Duck

0 voters

Former president continues with his (third?) hunger strike: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jiOQhn7A-5JLWxfZhwpwBGdmOB1Q

I’d take the Peking Duck, personally.

Where is Peking? In Formosa, Burma, Siam or Ceylon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing

Very informative. Thank you, Mr Theonlieste. Live and learn.

Ok . . . I’m getting the feeling my irony detector is a little worn.

Heh heh. :slight_smile:

Take away his illegally acquired 30 million US dollars and hes just like a kid, pouting and refusing to eat.

[quote=“jimipresley”]Where is Peking? In Formosa, Burma, Siam or Ceylon?[/quote] Silly question - Peking is in the northern part of the Mainland region of the ROC.

[quote=“tommy525”]Take away his illegally acquired 30 million US dollars and hes just like a kid, pouting and refusing to eat.[/quote] You mean take away his freedom and legal rights… I thought they are still trying to figure out how much of his money was acquired illegally…

Agreed. What a pathetic loser.

I thought it was Beiping? That is what the sign at Costco for the Beiping Pizza says and that is the name of the road up in Xitun District.

Fixed your post.

I thought Peiping was a city in the northern part of the Mainland region of the ROC. :whistle:

Lessee. The salary as President is nowhere near the 30 million dollars he salted away in Switzerland right? Now where did he get that money outside of being President? Selling cars? And I guess the question is if campaign contributions are allowed to be kept on a personal basis. IN the USA the candidates dont get to keep contributions. It goes to the party whats left and unused during the campaign. I guess in Taiwan the candidates are allowed to keep the funds? But then what about any funds that were directed to his favor from backing certain “projects”. Would that be considered legal you think? Sogo coupons anyone?

I thought he was going to give up something like 1/3 of it as taxes and that will settle the case. But I guess he may be greedy and want it all.

Chen and his family drama. Not the sort of folks we want as a First Family really.

[quote=“tommy525”]Lessee. The salary as President is nowhere near the 30 million dollars he salted away in Switzerland right? Now where did he get that money outside of being President? Selling cars? And I guess the question is if campaign contributions are allowed to be kept on a personal basis. IN the USA the candidates dont get to keep contributions. It goes to the party whats left and unused during the campaign. I guess in Taiwan the candidates are allowed to keep the funds? But then what about any funds that were directed to his favor from backing certain “projects”. Would that be considered legal you think? Sogo coupons anyone?

I thought he was going to give up something like 1/3 of it as taxes and that will settle the case. But I guess he may be greedy and want it all.

Chen and his family drama. Not the sort of folks we want as a First Family really.[/quote]

Excuse me, but were did I say he was innocent? Unlike some, I am not in on a rush to judgement. It is important to ensure all of his legal and human rights are protected while he is ACCUSED of a crime, but not yet convicted.

I don’t know if he’s guilty or not, but I do know tommy described his behavior exactly right when he referred to Chen as pouting like a child.

I’M A MARTYR, I’M A MARTYR, RALLY THE TROOPS AND SAVE ME, DEMOCRACY IS DEAD. . .

What a bunch of crap. If he really believed in democracy and the rule of law (and had any balls) he’d quit playing his childish games and patiently wait for the legal process to take its course, instead of repeatedly making phony allegations of unfair persecution.

The question is the difference of treatment he is having, and all the KMTers who were accused of the same had.
So, when did James Soong went to prison? When did MYJ went to prison not to collude with his secretary? Same crimes, different treatments, no?

But for me, we need Chen to get the Death Penalty, so we can have newspapers focusing on the real issues of Taiwan, like local corruption, police forgetting what they are supposed to do, unemployement and decaying life standards…

[quote=“mr_boogie”]The question is the difference of treatment he is having, and all the KMTers who were accused of the same had.
So, when did James Soong went to prison? When did MYJ went to prison not to collude with his secretary? Same crimes, different treatments, no?[/quote]

Ah, the “they did it too” defense.

I guess when Chen was president the govt failed to do it’s job in prosecuting wrongdoers. Does that mean Chen should get immunity for his crimes?

Will there eventually be a point where it becomes acceptable for Taiwan to punish wrongdoers, or must they grant immunity from prosecution in perpetuity to all past, present and future wrongdoers, because others got away with shit in the past?

Wrong, I’m talking about how they were treated during their trials. Their went on trial, where judged and that was it.
As for CSB, he is on detention for making the same thing as MYJ and James Soong, so why is he treated any different then them?

And, last but not least, the way the accusation is being done (by leaving the “business people” as victims of CSB “blackmail”) does surelly look like they are there not to clean up the corruption, but to clean up CSB.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“mr_boogie”]The question is the difference of treatment he is having, and all the KMTers who were accused of the same had.
So, when did James Soong went to prison? When did MYJ went to prison not to collude with his secretary? Same crimes, different treatments, no?[/quote]
Ah, the “they did it too” defense.
I guess when Chen was president the govt failed to do it’s job in prosecuting wrongdoers. Does that mean Chen should get immunity for his crimes?
Will there eventually be a point where it becomes acceptable for Taiwan to punish wrongdoers, or must they grant immunity from prosecution in perpetuity to all past, present and future wrongdoers, because others got away with shit in the past?[/quote]
What are you whining about? You conveniently overlook the fact that Chen was handed the perfect podium to engage in the behavior that you find so disdainful. If he wasn’t incarcerated at the inception of his case rather than the completion of it would he have been able to do ANY of it?