Formosa 95+ gasoline - improved fuel efficiency

Tip for car drivers out there. I used to fill my car up with CPC 95, as there’s a CPC gas station on the next street from my house and next to my work.

A few months ago I was running low so had to stop at a Formosa gas station and fill up with Formosa 95+. Imagine my surprise, my mileage for that tank increased by 20%. I’ve filled out about 3 times since then with 95+, and each time I get 15-20% better fuel efficiency than CPC 95 (I’m tracking milage with Drivvo). Exact same journeys and commute, only gas brand has changed. My car is a Toyota Altis.

No idea why this would cause such a difference, but if you currently use CPC 95 then give Formosa 95+ a try.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. It’s very interesting. Is this mainly gas from a single Formosa station vs gas from a single CPC station? I sometimes wonder about the condition of the underground storage tanks at individual stations and how much water they may have.

1 Like

There were 2 main CPC stations I went to 90% of the time, near my work and home. I never switched because not only were thru convenient, but also theyd give me free bottled water.

Could have been the tanks in just those 2 stations. I hope someone else on here will also switch to 95+ and share if they see better performance.

Weather doesn’t affect? AC usage was same?

1 Like

Because there are different types of fuels containing different octane and different chemicals, mostly the same.

There are, around, not just Taiwan, 89,92,95,95+, 98 and 98+.

It always depends on your vehicles engine, some run better on one, some don’t. Like you aren’t goo g to put 98 in a 16 year old vehicle, so t make a difference, engine not designed to handle that much, and you aren’t going to put 92 in a brand new car, probably won’t even start.

The best are always the +, or ultimate, or something the company has added on the end of the name. Like shell, 98 ultimate vs BP 98, the shell is going to be better for high performance, where BP is for high performance also but may lack an ingredient that shell has put in.

Also depends on where the fuel comes from, I usually use a CPC for my scooter around the corner, 95, does the job. I used a CPC the other day that’s about 10 minutes away and could feel the difference, in the acooter and the wallet, it was noticbly more responsive and my was a good 20nt cheaper. 20 is nothing, specially since a full tank only costs 80, bit still.

I’ve ridden motorcycles all my life, on road from a zx2r up to a gsxr 1000 and a cx500 custom built race bike. I, and most other riders can feel the difference In the fuel we use. It’s harder with an older scooter but I can feel it, my little 2000 125cc yammy goes hard! (After the work and imported parts that is ha)

https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/selling-off-spec-95-octane-gasoline-taoyuan-refinery-cost-cpc-usd83-million/

I hope you were already using Formosa last October. Looks like CPC had trouble with the 95 they sold in northern Taiwan.

Thank you for pointing this out. Since my Cefiro requires high octane, I guess the Formosa 95+ should be better for it than the CPC 95. And I think the price is comparable. I filled up with Formosa 95+ last week instead of CPC 95 and the cost seemed normal. I don’t normally record my mileage but I have a rough idea of what it usually gets. I’ll see how it does.

Mechanics will tell you they add different amounts in different stations. Generally its better to get government stations based on more regular tank checks and water/dirt. We went through 5 months and 50k of repairs to realise it was dirty gas in one of our out of town trucks.

Take home points:

There is a reason locals rarely use 92

Government stations (not gas, learn to recognize the characters on the sign) are more reliable on tank maintenance

Formosa is a horrible company all around here and abroad and will avoid them as much as i knowingly can.

1 Like

What’s that?
Do government owns gas stations from CPC, Forumosa and others?

Yes. There are government gas stations. I will take a pic and you can recognize which ones. Its confusing, even for locals.

Aside from gov run stations there are private ones that buy their gas from the gov, same logo and design but different characters above the price.

Then there are other private companies like formosa.

3 Likes

Please, do so. I didn’t know there was such a thing.

You people with your new People Carriers , swanning around @RickRoll. Pffft. :joy:

If it requires high octane, read the manual, you might be needing to use 98, which will end up in better performance and better mileage bro

Good advice. Although I don’t have the manual and can’t find one online. (Is it just me or does Google seem not as useful anymore?) Anyway, the most I can find online is that it takes premium. I suppose I could ask at the Nissan dealership.

What Make, Model, Year is it?

Nissan Cefiro 2.0L 2004. I know the US got Maxima and Infinity I30 sister models, but they have bigger engines.

Here is a pic of the government one. My phone cant draw on pics so cant circle it. Above the prices are these characters. Othe CPC stores normally just say Taiean oil in chinese, 4 characters i think. They still accept vip cards and their style/logo are all the same. So look for those long string of characters above the price at the top…thats the gov stations which most people prefer as their gas tends npt to be dirty, watery and they dont add weird mixes like the privates do. In theory.

20190325_094609

20190325_094615

3 Likes

Thanks! :bowing:
I’ll definitely be looking for those!

I have these visions of you now @RickRoll :joy:

1 Like