Formosa Fitness (closed) :facebook:

7 posts were split to a new topic: Tetsuo: maybe you could shed some light on why you decided to post a literal white supremacist meme

A few things:

• As some people stated, the problem is that you discriminated against a certain collective. You could have condemned the acts (harassment, sex, flashing, bullying) and it would have come out as perfectly reasonable and non-discriminatory. If you think of it, gay people also have the right to go to the gym without being harassed, same as heterosexual people.
  • Regarding “the horror” of “being surrounded” by a gay parade… first of all, that wasn’t the zombie run. I’m pretty sure you could have strolled around if you didn’t want to see it. Secondly, I’m pretty sure you’ve never attended Carnaval in Brazil or the Canary Islands, because in their parades, people of both genders have less clothes on than the chaps you showed in your post. Celebrating parades are just that, celebrations, where people are happy and want to share that festive mood. If you don’t want to, just don’t go there, it’s just once a year, ffs.
  • Basic decency is not exposing your junk in public or not harassing someone who hasn’t asked for it. Everyone will understand if you forbid those things in your business. But saying that just because someone is gay he doesn’t have basic decency is not fair. Heteros can also harass, bully, and flash themselves, and you wouldn’t think of forbidding heterosexual people access.
  • Last but not least, you should be aware that gayness is not a disease, and it is not contagious. Having well-behaved people, no matter what their sexual preferences are, will not devolve into a locker room orgy. Gay people have as much self-control as heterosexual people, ranging from total self-control to none at all. If this seems too risky for you, you could ban all people in general. I’m sure if the gym is empty, you won’t have any disgusting attitude to put up with.
17 Likes

Assuming you get any more gay members, which seems unlikely, how are you going to find if they are gay?

So… after all that, can someone tell me if openly gay men (or those who identify as gay men, to cover all bases) are allowed to sign up at Formosa Fitness?

The dog masks and simulated sex will be a dead giveaway. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Is it just me, or is this thread being modded a little too aggressively? I think it’s good to see everybody’s views out on the table.

1 Like

I agree with that.
Perhaps people can tone down a bit, but different points of view should always be welcomed. Especially in a open-minded community. :wink:

1 Like

I have a funny feeling somebody just got banned after her first post. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Are you assuming their gender? :no_no:

1 Like

Meh, everyone can share their views, personal attacks are never desired.

1 Like

The most mind-boggling thing about all this is just what a terrible business move he’s making. I don’t think any gym that openly discriminates on the basis of sexuality is going to be very successful these days because so many gay men care about their physiques and frequent the gym to maintain it. And on the other hand, gym goers who aren’t gay but support equal rights for gay people, or are simply turned off by his views, won’t want to patronize it, either.

He’s basically just marketing to fellow homophobes at this point.

how%20do%20you%20do

2 Likes

Precisely. I was trying to think of an analogy to compare this to but couldn’t come up with anything. A buffet banning overweight people? A rap concert prohibiting blacks or young people? A toy store openly saying they hate women? Really, something has to be as much of an own-goal as this.

1 Like

How do you get a gay guy off the treadmill?

I’ve been looking for a gym recently and had decided to check out Formosa Fitness. But with the owner’s comments, not only will I avoid it, but I will recommend that others do the same.

Although I do believe businesses have the right to serve who they want and don’t want. I feel like some of these fears are unfounded. I also strongly support traditional families and that there are only 2 genders. As a Christian man, the Bible is clear on homosexuality. These are my personal views and does not change how I interact or treat anyone.

But none of that seems to be relevant to running a gym. And as a former operations manager and head trainer of a gym myself , the sexuality of a member or potential member has never been an issue. If your gym is allowing sexual conduct of any kind to be taking place inside the gym regardless of gay/straight or whatever, that’s an issue of the gym. Not on homosexuality. If your gym does not take action on sexual assault of any kind regardless of sexuality, that’s an issue of the gyms policies. Not on gay people or homosexuality. Sexual assault is sexual assault, i would not have allowed any kind of sexual misconduct happen to anyone within my gym. There would be consequences of any kind of inappropriate sexual behavior within the premises of the gym ranging from a ban or police investigation if it’s appropriate.

6 Likes

I think most parents appreciate a full-stop rule prohibiting all sexual activity on the premises - at least in the USA. Forcing a premature conversation about sex between parent and child, especially one that’s unnecessary, is a major faux pax. Ensuring it doesn’t happen to paying customers is a no-brainer in my book.

Unfortunately we live in a time when reading between the lines and looking for ways to judge others is sport. We humans have always loved a good shaming, after all. Social media was born for it. In my opinion, if you have a consumer-facing business then it’s (unfortunately) crucial that you take that into account and act (especially write) accordingly.

Well agree or not with the sentiment , I respect any person to hold different views . It’s fine to argue the case , but if someone holds a Religious or political view that seems extreme to some …it may seem reasonable to the holder of said views.
I try to stay away from extremism on both sides , but you should not lambast and attack anyone for their opinions . Fine if you withdraw your custom. That is your right . Fine if you give reasons to disagree but respect his right to express his opinion too .
You are personally attacking him for his politics . I get why …I may agree it’s not what I would deem a sensible business decision … rather like the guy forced to bake the cake…but it is his goddam right guys .

5 Likes

Forgot to qualify that by saying , providing it’s a legal choice here

I thought it was too cartoonish to worry about, but you’re right.

TG … I think maroon is ok … … but not moron . I would accept maroon :wink:

1 Like