Forum Trolls, best defence

An “Internet troll” or “Forum Troll” is a person who posts outrageous messages to bait people into answering. Forum Trolls delight in sowing discord on forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

A classic troll is trying to make us believe that he is a skeptic. He is divisive and argumentative with a need-to-be-right attitude, “searching for the truth”, flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him. The troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponent.

Sometimes,the Internet troll is trying to spin conflicting information, is questioning in an insincere manner, flaming discussion, insulting people, turning people against each other, harassing forum members, and ignoring warnings from forum moderators.
Trolling is a form of harassment that can take over a discussion. Well meaning defenders can create chaos by responding to trolls. The best response is to ignore it, or to report a message to a forum moderator. Moderators usually delete troll messages or block trolls. Negative emotions stirred up by trolls leak over into other discussions. Normally affable people can become bitter after reading an angry interchange between a troll and his victims, and this can poison previously friendly interactions between long-time users.

When trolls are ignored they step up their attacks, desperately seeking the attention they crave. Their messages become more and more foul, and they post ever more of them. Also, they usually protest that their right to free speech is being curtailed. Perhaps the most difficult challenge for a webmaster is deciding whether to take steps against a troll that a few people find entertaining. Some trolls do have a creative spark and have chosen to squander it on being disruptive. There is a certain perverse pleasure in watching some of them. Ultimately, though, the webmaster has to decide if the troll actually cares about putting on a good show for the regular participants, or is simply playing to an audience of one – himself.
Next time you are on a message board and you see a post by somebody whom you think is a troll, and you feel you must reply, simply write a follow-up message entitled “Troll Alert” and type only this:

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction and not to respond to rolling messages. It is well known that most people don’t read messages that nobody responds to, while 99% of forum visitors first read the longest and the largest threads with the most answers.

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!! :taz:

Ha, haha. How laughably narrow-minded you are! And wrong. You are so wrong it hurts my head. And how do I know you are wrong? Well, let me tell you. Because I am right. And how do I know I am right? Because I have spurious websites to back up all my claims.

Check out this link:

www.Imsoright.com

Or this: www.howselfrightouscanonepersonbe.com

Or even this: www.ImayhaveasmallweinerbutdoIknowhowto … ternet.com

In closing, we need to invade their countries, kill their leaders, convert them to Christianity and Taiwan is a inalliable part of China.

And don’t even think of telling me I’m wrong.

Trolls also live under bridges and eat goats.

Their childish insults are often hillarious though. Then they get boring and people lose intrest.

[quote=“Rory Butternuts”]Ha, haha. How laughably narrow-minded you are! And wrong. You are so wrong it hurts my head. And how do I know you are wrong? Well, let me tell you. Because I am right. And how do I know I am right? Because I have spurious websites to back up all my claims.

Check out this link:

www.Imsoright.com

Or this: www.howselfrightouscanonepersonbe.com

Or even this: www.ImayhaveasmallweinerbutdoIknowhowto … ternet.com

In closing, we need to invade their countries, kill their leaders, convert them to Christianity and Taiwan is a inalliable part of China.

And don’t even think of telling me I’m wrong.[/quote]

I thought about it and…you’re wrong. And you spell badly too so that just confirms it.

In fact you’re all completely wrong and I’m right because I can use terms like reverse DNS throughput traceroute overhead and ping latency router to make me sound very authorotative. Although I can’t spell either… :frowning:

Are Waterhead and UNsayssomethingtoTAIWAN the same person?

just wondering…

Uh no, But it doesn’t take me long to recognize one. Why would you feel it necessary to say something like that? You have replied to 2 of my 3 topics so far and each time you are quite useless or rude or both. What’s your problem? I may be new to this forum but I’m not new to forums in general. You have been posting here for some time, do new posters threaten you in some way? Are you one of those ‘give the newbie a hard time’ type of established forum residents? Every forum has them, and every forum is hurt by them as they tend to chase away new members, leaving the forum to suffer from a lack of new perspective.

Maybe you could follow some sage advice, if you have nothing of worth to contribute then please fight the urge to do so.

[quote=“WaterHead”]Uh no, But it doesn’t take me long to recognize one. Why would you feel it necessary to say something like that? You have replied to 2 of my 3 topics so far and each time you are quite useless or rude or both. What’s your problem? I may be new to this forum but I’m not new to forums in general. You have been posting here for some time, do new posters threaten you in some way? Are you one of those ‘give the newbie a hard time’ type of established forum residents? Every forum has them, and every forum is hurt by them as they tend to chase away new members, leaving the forum to suffer from a lack of new perspective.

Maybe you could follow some sage advice, if you have nothing of worth to contribute then please fight the urge to do so.[/quote]
Don’t worry about Mr. He. He’s hard on the outside, but soft on the inside. :wink: Anyway, welcome to Forumosa. :rainbow:

Thank you Maoman, I’m still finding my feet on this forum and wish not to ruffle any feathers, but I will not let an obvious insult like the one in Mr. He’s post slide without comment. Especially as I don’t feel that there is anything in my few number of posts that warrant any comparison to the obvious trollish posting of Unsays…

After reading some of Un’s posts and the subsequent replies I posted this topic to try and help, to then be accused of sharing Un’s identity by Mr. He was, I feel, unwarranted and ignorant on his part.

[quote=“WaterHead”] Especially as I don’t feel that there is anything in my few number of posts that warrant any comparison to the obvious trollish posting of Unsays…

After reading some of Un’s posts and the subsequent replies I posted this topic to try and help, to then be accused of sharing Un’s identity by Mr. He was, I feel, unwarranted and ignorant on his part.[/quote]

“Alright, Mandrake, now feed me! Feed me!” - General Jack D. Ripper

I’m sorry if the part of my post which you quoted upset you Comrade, but it’s nothing to cry about. Cheer up it didn’t even have anything to do with you, honest.

I didn’t know it was your forum.

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Neither did I.

I hear the weather in Irkutsk is lovely this time of year.

It’s very nice. The smell of an open fire, the clear nite sky, a bottle of vodka with old friends, the howling of wolves, the crack of a pistol off in the distance…

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

This is nobody’s forum…it is a Communist Utopian Society. :rainbow: