Forumosa 2.2 Wishlist

The current non-autopruning problem in the Flame Forum is only one of several problems on our website. Given that there are also a few security flaws in this version, I feel it’s necessary to start planning a major upgrade of the website.

However, I plan to take some time in building the new version. I’ve learned that I can run several versions of these forums off the same database, so I can develop the new forums WITHOUT having to shut down the current one till the actual handover.

Expect the handover to happen sometime between Christmas 03 and Chinese New Year 04. This gives us almost half a year to put in place those features we like about this software.

Please list and discuss below what features you would like to see in the next version of Forumosa.com – I’ll be using this topic as a reference as I develop the new forums.

For example, I plan to include at least the following:

Guanxi
G$ Lottery
G$ Bank
G$ Transfers
G$ F/X Shop
Chops (same as above)
G$ Most Guanxi List
G$ Manager
Post Ratings
KB
easyCMS
Convert Topics to CMS Articles
Recommend
Amazon
Calendar
Copy to Clipboard

Quick-reply box
Quick Reply in PM
Flash BBCode button
E-mail this to a friend
Printer-friendly button
Topic Jump to Box
G$ F/X Shop
Last 24 hour Visitor list
24/7 Search links
Topic Names in Who’s Online
Chops
Group List in Left-panel Author Area
Year Stars
Custom User Titles
Fetch Newsletter maker
Stand alone Category sections
Referral G$ link
Stop View Increases by own author
Mini Profile Pop-ups
Affero
Ignore Function that works (thanks Paogao)
Link in success interstitial to latest 24 (thanks Kenny)

Job Listings MySQL Databases

Sitemap at bottom of every page
Bigger Style
Trad Chinese Style
Bigger Trad Chinese Style
French Style
Bigger French Style
Spanish Style
Bigger Spanish Style

Banner Ad System
Merge Topics
Board Message Announcements XL
Mass E-mail Collector
Bantron
File attachments
Admin link at the top

How about an Ignore function that works without screwing up?

I vote for More Kittens !

Sorry, can’t think of anything I really want.

maybe after we post a message, there could be a direct button to take us back to the Most Recent Posts page.

Allow me to think for you: Dancing girls!!

How about me winning the lottery for once? That would be an improvement I’d like to see…

I second this. We used to have this function, I believe. I was sorry to see it go.

I would like to be able to ignore selected avatars, or at least to stop the animation. Most of them are really cute, but a few of them bother me.

Awwww, has the wee dancin’ felly left his fly open again? I’ve warned him about that before.

Awwww, has the wee dancin’ felly left his fly open again? I’ve warned him about that before.[/quote]
He doesn’t bother me.

I’d like there to be a gambling function. It could work similar to the poll in that the poster fills in a form and offers a wager. For example:

I wager 100 guanxi that Lu will be the DPP VP candidate.

People reading it could then click to accept the wager.

Two variations:

The poster determines the number of people (one, five, ten, whatever) that can accept the bet.

The poster could provide odds (2-1, whatever).

Thought of something else.

In sections that are pared into many pages, such as when viewing the message I have posted in the past, there is are options at the bottom to click onto a page number, with those options being the first three pages and the last three pages. For example…

1, 2, 3… 17, 18, 19

But if I want to get to page 9, it’s a bit of a pain. Any way to have a box where a poster could just put the desire page number (a “go to” box), click a button and then presto-magico get to that page?

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]Thought of something else.

In sections that are pared into many pages, such as when viewing the message I have posted in the past, there is are options at the bottom to click onto a page number, with those options being the first three pages and the last three pages. For example…

1, 2, 3… 17, 18, 19

But if I want to get to page 9, it’s a bit of a pain. Any way to have a box where a poster could just put the desire page number (a “go to” box), click a button and then presto-magico get to that page?[/quote]

This isn’t a great solution for you, but if you adjust the post starting number in the URL, it will work. For example, this is the URL of another page I was viewing right now.

http://forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=10427&start=30

The second page starts with post 15 (start=15), the third page with post 30 and so on. If you want to go to page nine, you have to go to post 120 (8x15). I know that’s a bit technical, but it will tie you over until the time comes where they implement your feature.

This technique is also useful for pointing someone to an exact post, instead of pointing them to a page where the post is somewhere in the middle of the page.

Thanks scomarge, that’s what I’m doing now. Actually, it’s not a big deal, a minor nuisance to maneuver this way. I’d much rather have that gambling feature added!

Outstanding idea. The only thing is you’d need to assign someone control of paying out the winnings. Maybe the administrator would have to do that, unless I’m missing something.

Affero
By all means, frizzy hair is making a come-back.

(I liked the statistics of long ago.)