Forumosa Animal Lovers

There are a whole lot of animal lovers on Forumosa. I think it’s time we get together to form an alliance, and become a distinct group. (Maybe someone is even keen to create a logo for us. We could call ourselves the Forumosa Pet Crusaders or the Animal Brigade, or something similar. We are open for suggestions…)

If you want to show that you care for animals, PM me or post here, and I will add you to the list of Forumosa Animal Lovers.

Either you are a hardcore activist, a pet owner, or just someone who loves animals, it’s all good. Even if you don’t care that much but you see the point in respecting animals’ rights, drop me a line! All are welcome.

This thread will serve the purpose of amalgamating links to threads relevant to animal rights, animal abuse, and other threads animal lovers would most likely enjoy reading.

More later…

Best regards,

bobepine

I’m an animal respecter; can I join?

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I’m an animal respecter; can I join?[/quote]Animal respecters are very cool. You are welcome alright.

Sure, i’m in…

Mimi

momo 21, and Mimi, we need you to send me your full name, address, social security number, passport number and your credit card information so that we can process your application immediately.

Just kidding! :wink: Welcome! :slight_smile:

Cute picture, BTW.

What about cullinary animal lovers? Are we welcome?

[quote=“Tyc00n”]What about cullinary animal lovers? Are we welcome?[/quote]That’s an excellent question. I just caught your post, and I’m on my way out the door and probably will not be back on the computer for a couple days. I do have an answer for you, but you’ll have to wait until later this weekend. :wink:

Enjoy the rest of the holidays!

Tycoon,

I’m guessing that what you are asking is if meat eaters are welcome. Like I said, it’s a good question.

A brief answer is that as long as you understand that eating meat perpetuates suffering, and as long as you understand that eventually humans will have to “shift” to better alternative food source, then yes, you are welcome.

I don’t know many humans(if any) who do not behave unethically on a regular basis. Just about everything we buy is overly wrapped and it contributes to polluting the earth which in some cases results in human and animal suffering from poor water and poor air quality. From production based waste and pollution all the way down to throwing out your petroleum wrapper.(just one of many examples)

Point is to all this is that, we humans, are the elite at screwing things up for ourselves and for others. That’s what we do best, it seems. The same as a child needs to burn his hand on a hot stove to learn not to touch it again, we need to burn ourselves, so to speak, in order to change our ways. Sad but true. I think humans are only starting to feel the burn from the mass production of animals used for consumption. And sadly, animals are the ones mostly paying a very high price to teach us this lesson in ethics, and respect for other living beings.

So yes, you are welcome as long as you are willing to acknowledge the sad reality that your culinary habits do contribute to human and animal suffering on a massive scale. From there, you only can make your own choices, and the same stands for me.

Don’t cats and dogs eat meat?

I read a book by some Vietnamese monk about anger. he said, we are angry because we eat the meat of angry animals, or some such thing, sad because you eat beef that came from a sad cow.

I think it’s a crock. I’m mad because it’s 3AM and I can’t blink my eyes long or frequently enough to sleep.

uhm, yeah and to keep slightly on topic, the monk guy’s book is “Anger…something something”

[quote=“bobepine”]Tycoon,

I’m guessing that what you are asking is if meat eaters are welcome. Like I said, it’s a good question.

A brief answer is that as long as you understand that eating meat perpetuates suffering, and as long as you understand that eventually humans will have to “shift” to better alternative food source, then yes, you are welcome.
[/quote]

Wow, this isn’t the answer I expected at all. I assume you mean that eating meat through mass production farming, and not the eating of meat per se.

In terms of shifting to a better alternative food source, I assume you mean better as in better for animals that are currently in mass production farming.

Keep in mind, that if it weren’t for farming, the chicken and cow would probably have gone extinct by now, and if you think its better than the miserable lives they already live, then I guess so be it.

[quote=“bobepine”]
I don’t know many humans(if any) who do not behave unethically on a regular basis. Just about everything we buy is overly wrapped and it contributes to polluting the earth which in some cases results in human and animal suffering from poor water and poor air quality. From production based waste and pollution all the way down to throwing out your petroleum wrapper.(just one of many examples).[/quote]

Ethically according to your definition of ethics perhaps. But suffering has existed in the world since long before we turned up. In terms of the problems of pollution and waste, I agree that its going to get much worse before it gets much better, but I also think that there will be an environmental revolution within our lifetimes. I believe economics will give rise to a demand for recycling, and I believe science and engineering will create previously unimaginable solutions.

[quote=“bobepine”]

Point is to all this is that, we humans, are the elite at screwing things up for ourselves and for others. That’s what we do best, it seems. The same as a child needs to burn his hand on a hot stove to learn not to touch it again, we need to burn ourselves, so to speak, in order to change our ways. Sad but true. I think humans are only starting to feel the burn from the mass production of animals used for consumption. And sadly, animals are the ones mostly paying a very high price to teach us this lesson in ethics, and respect for other living beings.[/quote]

I’d say that in principle we haven’t really screwed things up for ourselves. It may seem that way, but humans have gone from small sparcely distrubuted populations to the dominant species on the planet and we have more than twice the previous life expectancy.

I guess I don’t have your viewpoint on whether you consider hunting gathering societies as unethical since the animal populations are wild, nor herding populations who don’t use ‘factory farm’ techniques, but rely on a population of domestic animals for their nutrition.

I understand that animals are suffering in factory farms yes. But I don’t think animals in the two prior listed examples above suffered any more than they would have in more ‘natural’ circumstances.

As for the next step? I believe factory farming will, like its predecessors, become uneconomical. Its clear, at least to a few people, that the perfection of meat grown on a petri dish will also probably occur within our lifetime.

So yes, you are welcome as long as you are willing to acknowledge the sad reality that your culinary habits do contribute to human and animal suffering on a massive scale. From there, you only can make your own choices, and the same stands for me.[/quote]

I do acknowledge that my culinary habits contribute to suffering in this world, but its not just cullinary habits. Cows in India suffer immensely and people don’t eat them. They are left to wander around the city half starved in an environment thats not natural for them.

Animals die in order to feed other animals, and it’s a natural process. I see nothing wrong with eating meat. But I do think that humans have the ability to think logically and I also think that incorporating compassion into our thought process is necessary in order to live our lives ethically. In addition to that, humans have the ability to research and find out the best way to eat meat without inflicting unnecessary suffering.

With millions of people living in urban areas, producing meat for all meat eaters in an ethical way is not possible. This calls for changes, and perhaps eating meat for city dwellers should be just a rare fancy, if at all possible.

If you can raise a pig, treat it with respect, and kill it in a way that will inflict as little pain as possible so that you can have pork chops for dinner, I see nothing wrong with it. It’s no worse than hunting for food as some humans and other animals do on a regular basis.

The difference is that we have the ability to think logically and compassionately if compared with other animals, so we are naturally compelled to behave accordingly, IMO. We are compelled to behave ethically which means to not inflict unnecessary suffering to humans and other animals in order to feed ourselves. There are many other options available to feed ourselves.

I consider myself to be an animal, and as many animals do, I eat meat. But if I have to inflict enormous suffering to other animals through mass production, I think that it would be better to find alternative food sources.

I’ll eat free range chicken anytime without feeling unethical. But chickens who are forced-fed their own feces… I don’t know, man… It rings wrong to me, and I think that if it’s my only option, perhaps times are for changes.

[quote=“bobepine”]Animals die in order to feed other animals, and it’s a natural process. I see nothing wrong with eating meat. But I do think that humans have the ability to think logically and I also think that incorporating compassion into our thought process is necessary in order to live our lives ethically. In addition to that, humans have the ability to research and find out the best way to eat meat without inflicting unnecessary suffering.

With millions of people living in urban areas, producing meat for all meat eaters in an ethical way is not possible. This calls for changes, and perhaps eating meat for city dwellers should be just a rare fancy, if at all possible.

If you can raise a pig, treat it with respect, and kill it in a way that will inflict as little pain as possible so that you can have pork chops for dinner, I see nothing wrong with it. It’s no worse than hunting for food as some humans and other animals do on a regular basis.

The difference is that we have the ability to think logically and compassionately if compared with other animals, so we are naturally compelled to behave accordingly, IMO. We are compelled to behave ethically which means to not inflict unnecessary suffering to humans and other animals in order to feed ourselves. There are many other options available to feed ourselves.

I consider myself to be an animal, and as many animals do, I eat meat. But if I have to inflict enormous suffering to other animals through mass production, I think that it would be better to find alternative food sources.

I’ll eat free range chicken anytime without feeling unethical. But chickens who are forced-fed their own feces… I don’t know, man… It rings wrong to me, and I think that if it’s my only option, perhaps times are for changes.[/quote]

Excellent post, bobepine

Count me into the club.

[quote=“Tyc00n”][quote=“bobepine”]Tycoon,

[/quote][/quote]

Wow, this isn’t the answer I expected at all. I assume you mean that eating meat through mass production farming, and not the eating of meat per se.

so did you guys just give up?

I would like to bring some larger relevence to this topic (from the animal lovers PoV), as I recently ended up rescuing some turtles that were being tortured by students at the school fair - they won thm in a game and then saw who could throw them highest up the nearest tree and leave them hanging in a plastic bag… (where were the parents you ask?) Well, two survived the fall and I agree to give them a home (actually it WAS three, but one was so addicted to flying that once home and in a tank he managed to jump out of the aquarium and out of the window… THATS DESTINY

Anyway, I loved them and have ended up aquiring two more turtles (long neck) and these ones refuse to eat pellets - instead I must feed them freshly dead/live fish… now you see the where my point comes

Is it ok for me to chuck a live fish in or should I kill it first since im making the choice to kill it, and it has very little survival chance once in that tank with them - or let it swim around for those last moments since the turtles are much more instinctive killers than I

Plus, should I even keep these killer turtles? And what is the difference between me buying these cheap 1 dollar fish from the back of a fish shop and feeding them (when I bought 30 dollars worth and that will last 2 months, meaning they are having a good quality of life for those 2 motnhs, noit locked in a dark room and left to rot)… then the ethical dilema continues at the turtle pellets are just ground up shrimp and fish anyway… so whats ‘better’ - I guess Im a little uneasy at seeing death so close up (although I watched sharks hunting off borneo and kthat seemed, more, ‘natiral’ basically I guyess the fish had a chance?)

i think an intersting debate no

PS - count me in