Forumosa Book Club

https://www.amazon.com/Salt-World-History-Mark-Kurlansky/dp/0142001619

don’t know why I suddenly thought of this one.
salt mines were almost like gold mines throughout early history.
been to Hallstatt, Austria, picturesque town with a cool salt mine tour

I’d say it’s a classic. The numbers are a bit out of date, but I’ve been using the principles for the past 40 years and am satisfied with the results. Later I read John Bogle’s Common Sense and realized I could have saved myself a lot of time to achieve similar results.

1 Like

The writing style (very dry) and a lot of the case studies are dated, but most of the principles stand the test of time and are still very useful today. It’s probably a good idea to get the more recent version with footnotes by Jason Zweig. He doesn’t really add much, but does help explain the principles in more modern terms.

Another excellent read.

Margin of Safety by Seth Klarman is another good one…if you can find a copy. It’s long out of print, and somewhat of a collector’s item. PDF versions can be found it you scrape around.

The Cider House Rules is a must-read for all pro-lifers.

I’m not against it, and I read them way back when when I began investing. But I got a lot more about investing from the Motley Fool. I mean stock picking is extremely difficult math work. I have subscriptions to a newsletter for my picks, then I run them through my financial advisor who gets paid when I get paid…or not really, but that’s another story. I’m not saying don’t read them, but it’s more like telling a horror fiction buff that he MUST watch the original NOTLDead in order to understand Alien. Ya really don’t. :smoker:

For Solzhenitsyn I would much more recommend his earlier fiction- One Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovitch, Cancer Ward, or First Circle.

1 Like