Forumosa clouds judgement

I haven’t used the site for about a month…
Now I am seriously starting to enjoy Taiwan again. I just read through a few threads, and they are mostly… “white guys are this…” “local people keep doing this…”

I think that I have managed the last month much better without all the negative opinions of other people washing around in my head.

Just a thought.

Anyway, when my mum has gone home I’ll write to let you know how she views Taiwan. Presently she LOVES it.

Has she been outside Taipei?

We in Hualien now baby!

Oh ho! You’re sticking to the east coast. Good idea. I have friends whose folks visited them on the west coast, and … well, they didn’t have anything nice to say about it.

I agree with Tom, just this once.

I’m a lot more positive when I’m not reading his posts every day.

It the same with TV. I started watching a lot of CNN daily when the Gulf War started. I’ve taken out my cable and left it at work. I feel much better now.

Ditto.

I think if people post as though they are having a real conversation, not an online argument, things work out better. We all piss and moan sometimes, but rarely do we give the P&Mer loads of crap for being negative when we are face to face.

People are much more forgiving and compassionate in person…well, except Loretta. :smiling_imp: :wink:

[quote=“jdsmith”]
People are much more forgiving and compassionate in person…well, except Loretta. :smiling_imp: :wink:[/quote]

but a lot less honest as well

[quote=“Rinkals”][quote=“jdsmith”]
People are much more forgiving and compassionate in person…well, except Loretta. :smiling_imp: :wink:[/quote]

but a lot less honest as well[/quote]

Well, I don’t know if not telling the absolute truth in public is dishonest. No one really wants to embarrass or humiliate anyone, and AFAIK, you can’t send telepathic PMs to people across the table.

I think you may be able to and the thought plagues me. I personally don’t feel any myself, but I do wonder what thinking badly about somone does to them.

Umm, time to put the pipe away. Umm, nurse! Medication please.

HG

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Rinkals”][quote=“jdsmith”]

but a lot less honest as well[/quote]

Well, I don’t know if not telling the absolute truth in public is dishonest. No one really wants to embarrass or humiliate anyone, and AFAIK, you can’t send telepathic PMs to people across the table.[/quote]

It should be the topic we discuss and not the person. It’s better to stay away from ad hominemremarks.

I personally think what one gets from forumosa (positive or negative) is more telling of said person than the site.

The Miltownkid wrote [quote]I personally think what one gets from forumosa (positive or negative) is more telling of said person than the site.[/quote]
:notworthy: How true!
:notworthy:
Keep this up and we’ll have to start calling you Solomon.

Ah! Hualian. I lived there. There are some decent restaurants there (if you can find them). Ask a foreigner where “The White Sign” is. Excellent Chinese food. Try the tang tzu ji ding (sweet and sour chicken) and their guotye. Best guotye in town (and good chilli sauce). There’s an excellent breakfast shop there too open from 12 am to 11 pm. On Linsen close to the bridge

Go to Luwak. Great Americano coffee. There are about four Luwaks there. I miss their coffee.

There’s also a good noodle shop and an indian restaurant owned by a Pakistani on Min Guo.

:notworthy: How true!
:notworthy:
Keep this up and we’ll have to start calling you Solomon.[/quote]MK’s point is basically sound. But to be fair, there is quite a lot of general grumpiness and curmudgeonliness on Forumosa and it can get to you at times if you’re not careful. Sometimes I feel myself becoming a grumpy curmudgeon too. That’s when a break for a couple of days comes in handy.

That’s right. Take a break, drink a beer, screw a chick, whatever it takes. Just don’t blame the site (or do, I recommend not.) My view on this isn’t just for the website, it goes further than that. Work, school, womenz, family. There are a million things out there that’ll get you down if your not careful. Blaming them does nothing to rectifiy the situation.

…Taiwan

[quote=“miltownkid”]
There are a million things out there that’ll get you down if your not careful. Blaming them does nothing to rectifiy the situation.[/quote]

Ignorance is bliss! :stuck_out_tongue: