Forumosa Happy Hour at The Terminal, Thursday September 13!

September’s Happy Hour is being held from 8:00 onwards at Neihu’s newest expat hangout, The Terminal, located at 349 Neihu Road Section 2.

Forumosa’s esteemed moderator Dragonbones is going to be hosting this one, so if you’re new to Forumosa and you’d like to find out who’s who on the flob, all you have to do is show up and Dragonbones will make sure that you’re introduced to the right people, and keep you away from the smelly ones.

The Terminal’s gracious laoban, Joe Cook from Canada, is offering Forumosans bottled beers and standard mixed drinks for $100, and he’s also giving us a discounted price on The Terminal’s already famous poutine and wings.

If you’re not sure how to get there, you can print out this map:

The place is within walking distance of the De-An Dept. Store (de2 an1 bai3 huo4), where lots of buses stop, and no fewer than SEVEN buses also stop right in front of the bar (ok, next door, actually): 247 521 552 267 278, 小2 (S2) and 小3 (S3). The stop is called Bi4hu2 guo2xiao3 碧湖國小.

The Terminal is a friendly little place - come out and have a good time!

[quote=“Maoman”]
Forumosa’s esteemed moderator Dragonbones is going to be hosting this one, [/quote]

Will H.E.M Dragonbones be arranging a smoking section?

BroonAshtray

The Terminal is smoking downstairs and non-smoking upstairs, but of course if any Forumosans would be so kind as to step outside when they smoke, that would make the situation even more pleasant for those who are sensitive to smoke. :wink: (EDIT: please disregard the latter comment; Joe assures me that the ventilation is pretty good, as Maoman subsequently points out.)

I’ll also be posting the numbers of the buses that stop in front of DeAn shortly.

Note also that the Terminal’s happy hour (half-priced drinks!) is 6 to 8, so that’s a special bonus for anyone showing up early.

As for food, I’ve heard their pizza is good, although I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. The cheeseburgers and seasoned fries are very good, and a good value at only NT$200 too!

Hope to see you all there! :rainbow:

First, a disclaimer: I am and always have been a non-smoker. I support non-smoking, properly ventilated areas in pubs and restaurants.

However, if this venue has a smoking and non-smoking section, then asking people to step outside the smoking section in order to have a puff seems excessive. For many people, part of a convivial relaxing atmosphere is a pint and a cigarette. I can understand the people who, on reading this, will wonder whether they want to attend an event which immediately grants them social pariah status. :s

It won’t be necessary for anyone to step outside - the non-smoking area is so well ventilated that Vanessa felt comfortable bringing our 8 month old daughter inside when we wanted a late night cheeseburger a couple of weeks ago - the smoke from the first floor just didn’t make it to the second floor.

I agree. However, for those of us that do smoke and in the interests of not being branded a pariah, I think it fair that the organizers please ask the non-smokers in the non-smoking section to step outside whenever they don’t want to smoke before returning to the non-smoking section to resume not smoking.

A reasonable compromise, methinks.

BroonAshtray

For the Del Amitri fans sick to the back fucking teeth of the smoking debate…

"Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

And we’ll all be lonely tonight and lonely tomorrow."

Can we make the next one even further away and make sure it’s not even close to any MRT stations. Thanks!

It makes me laugh when people complain about the distance. There’s 2-3 of us who live out in Taoyuan/Jhongli/Yangmei and yet we come in for just about every single HH.

Hold one that’s a tiny taxi or bus ride from the MRT system and people get all upset :noway:

See you all there. :slight_smile:

We had one two and a half years ago when Alleycats opened a branch in Neihu. After this one, we might have another one in Neihu in 2010 or so. Just wanted to give you a headsup. :laughing:

We had one two and a half years ago when Alleycats opened a branch in Neihu. After this one, we might have another one in Neihu in 2010 or so. Just wanted to give you a headsup. :laughing:[/quote]

Aaah, that was the night Loretta met Emily. What sweet memories. Was it really that long ago?

Hiya Frost,

Maoman and I did consider the fact that this is a bit off the beaten path when discussing the venue, but there are a few reasons I promoted this particular venue in our discussion:

1. Forumosans live all over the place, not just down near city center or the Taida & Shida area, and I personally think it’s fair to move it around a bit so that it’s at least occasionally convenient for those who don’t live in the city center or uni areas. :idunno: I think that having just ONE HH every four years or so (that’s a mere one out of 48 – not many!) in a particular area like Neihu is reasonable, and I’ll say the same thing for Xindian, Nangang, Danshui and Tianmu.

2. There are extremely few good and affordable Western places in the northeast corner of Taipei, and we almost never have HH in this area either, so I think it’s a nice idea to hold one in support of a good Western joint in the area. I’d say the same thing about other peripheral areas too. And I’d love to see another HH at Alleycat’s Neihu sometime soon.

3. There’s quite a bit of mass transportation going to this venue. The buses going to the area * include, according to a friend who looked this up for me): 0 East (0東), 240, 247, 287, 652, 222 ,267, 21, Red2, 620, 278, 284, 630, 521, Red29, Brown9, Blue27, Blue20, and the buses already listed which go directly to the Terminal. If you don’t like buses, perhaps you can catch a ride with someone?

• By ‘area’, I mean the very small triangle including the venue, DeAn Dept. store, and Jinlong Rd – all within a tiny one or two minute walk. Have a look at the map I drew up, which Maoman reposted here.

We had one two and a half years ago when Alleycats opened a branch in Neihu. After this one, we might have another one in Neihu in 2010 or so. Just wanted to give you a headsup. :laughing:[/quote]

Though, won’t they have the MTR in them parts by then ?

Aaah, that was the night Loretta met Emily. What sweet memories. Was it really that long ago?[/quote]
May 11, 2005 :sunglasses:

I think it’s a good place to support, and I hope people get out.
I’ve only been there one time, but I thought it was an excellent joint.
Yeah, it’s a bit far for us southerners, but I think it’s a decent place to give props to.

If I go I won’t be able to get there until around 10:20… is it worth turning up so late?

are the roads actually all different colours, or is that just a pretty map?

(It’s a day for stupid comments, I’m concussed. bloody dogs)

Absolutely! Quite a few people teach, run a buxiban or otherwise have commitments until around 9 or 10, and will probably show up around that time. Hope you can make it! :slight_smile:

I was hoping to make it but it looks like I have too much on my plate this week. I hope it’s a good one.

Anyone planning on showing up early? HH doesn’t officially start til 8, but the Terminal’s standard happy hour is 6-8, with half-priced drinks, nudge nudge wink wink.

hic