Forumosa - help or hindrance to "real life"?

Original Title: going out with a ploof, the unknown goodbye

Most of you have no idea who I am, I’m just some anonymous internet person that chimed in with the odd sarcastic or jaded comment. Much like some of the more well known posters have done I am quitting, I have made my last post on this site. I like what this site is and I am sure that I will look at it again, in fact, I will look at it often. I was just reading the thread on wireless internet, as I read it I was thinking how cool it was that you people have formed a relatively tight community that generates good discussion and stores your collectively generated and useful information, what a great source of information this site is. Then it hit me, you folks have a camping trip coming up. How many conversations are going to start with something along the lines of “it feels so good to have actual human contact with somebody other than my wife/husband/partner/dog/whatever and my workmates, most of my socializing is virtual and online.” Maybe I am totally wrong, in fact I hope I am totally wrong. If I am wrong in assuming that this forum is cutting into much of your physical, human to human contact socializing then all the power to you, this is a great forum - please ignore me. If I am right in assuming that a lot of you are sacrificing the real life you could be living for this virtual life then I pity you. I sure wouldn’t want to live like that for long. It’s kinda like heroin. If you look at the junkie you wonder why on Earth they started down that disasterous path, but if you try it a few times you see why they love it so and start to ignore the cost.

So this is me signing off of this virtual world, beginning to live responsibly on it without feeling the need to follow some bizarre, sometimes interesting, sometimes dull, usually poiintless soap opera of live people hiding behind the ananomousity of the internet.

burp…

There’s PEOPLE out ther!!! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Hmmm…he does raise some interesting points. :ponder:

[quote=“ididn’tdoit”]Then it hit me, you folks have a camping trip coming up. How many conversations are going to start with something along the lines of “it feels so good to have actual human contact with somebody other than my wife/husband/partner/dog/whatever and my workmates, most of my socializing is virtual and online.” Maybe I am totally wrong, in fact I hope I am totally wrong. If I am wrong in assuming that this forum is cutting into much of your physical, human to human contact socializing then all the power to you, this is a great forum - please ignore me. If I am right in assuming that a lot of you are sacrificing the real life you could be living for this virtual life then I pity you. I sure wouldn’t want to live like that for long. It’s kinda like heroin. If you look at the junkie you wonder why on Earth they started down that disasterous path, but if you try it a few times you see why they love it so and start to ignore the cost.

So this is me signing off of this virtual world, beginning to live responsibly on it without feeling the need to follow some bizarre, sometimes interesting, sometimes dull, usually poiintless.[/quote]
I think Forumosa at its best is when the relationships online start to blur with offline relationships, and a real community starts to take shape. We worry about each other’s well-being and rejoice in our victories, and commiserate in our sorrows. We also drink a lot of beer. I know that Forumosa has enriched my social life beyond measure. I am meeting people from a diverse range of nationalities, locations, occupations, and lifestyles. But I understand your point. If you just log-in and never get a chance to ever meet any of the great people here, you’re missing out on the best part of Forumosa, IMO.

I would have to say that since logging on, I have shared ideas online about teaching and running a school with e-people; I have met real people at the HH at the Tavern; I have met teachers in person to chat about teaching; I have driven up Yang Ming Shan to hear an outdoor concert that I would never have even known about; I had a wonderful dinner at Carnegies, a place I did not even know existed; been recommended a near perfect bottle of whiskey;I have shared ideas about the world, religion, politics and rubber blow up dolls; I have made at least one trusted friend…and many other smaller, fun things…but those stand out…and I am going camping with a bunch of people I feel I already know well.

I have to say, this isn’t a virtual world at all.

I am sorry this place didn’t work out for you ididntdoit…

[quote=“jdsmith”]I would have to say that since logging on, I have shared ideas online about teaching and running a school with e-people; I have met real people and drank real good beers at the HH at the Tavern; I have met teachers in person to chat about teaching; I have driven up Yang Ming Shan to hear an outdoor concert that I would never have even known about; I had a wonderful dinner at Carnegies, a place I did not even know existed; been recommended a near perfect bottle of whiskey;I have shared ideas about the world, religion, politics and rubber blow up dolls; I have made at least one trusted friend…and many other smaller, fun things…but those stand out…and I am going camping with a bunch of people I feel I already know well.

I have to say, this isn’t a virtual world at all.

I am sorry this place didn’t work out for you ididntdoit…[/quote]

oops, i went back to change something and didnt see this as a flouder…please kill the first post…if you need. :slight_smile:

I go out much less because of Forumosa because I now know where some of these people are going to be on any given day, so its just all the more places to avoid.
Trouble is, a lot of them also know where the Sandcastle is, so I’m not even safe there. Life is hard.

I think Maoman has a good point. If you actually meet the people you interact with on this forum, then it’s expanding your social life as opposed to replacing it. On the other hand, I can understand the op. I assume he’s not a teenager and that contributing here was something relatively new to him/her. (“virtual” world)

I"ve only just recently discovered this virtual world and I am still not sure if it’s a good thing for me. For many reasons but mainly the fact that my life seems to have changed since I got my first computer.(this year)No drastic changes but it just seem like I was more on the ball before. The little things didn’t wait. Now I seem to procrastinate about certain things that need attention but really, I just don’t have time to do all the things I did before. It takes time to browse the internet and that’s what matters at the end of the day. There’s only so many hours in a day.

The op chooses to step back and go back to what he did before and I respect that although I think it’s not the best choice. Who knows? You may read this site once in a while and at one point you’ll want to type in your two cents. Nothing wrong with that. Going with a ploof reflects the op’s strength or his/her weakness. I’m not sure which one that is.

It depends what you like to do with your life. It’s still new to me and I’m learning a lot about computers, internet, etc. I think a good balance is what I’m after. I want to keep the best(or the worse) of both the virtual and the real world. Besides, it’s real people(and many) posting here and the Island is like 700km in lenght. It brings people together and apart sometimes…much like a real community.

Quitting Forumosa? This isnt a drug addiction… Broonale, now Ididntdoit.
What is there to quit? Reading? Writing?
This is the last time I ever say the word ‘baloney.’ (as a brit it might be the first and last time.)

I have to agree that this “place” is much more than a virtual community. There are real people behind the user names and there are plenty of opportunities to get out and meet them. The social opportunites available through this site are one of its principal strengths. What I like best about this site, though, is its knowledge base. Anything and everything concerning Taiwan can be found here. Heard new Chinese phrase and not sure what it means? Someone here will know, guaranteed. Need to buy a house, car, business…the how-tos are all here.
I’m not missing out on much in my websurfing habits. I tend to drop in during those times when there is little opportunity for other interactions anyway, such as before leaving for work, or immediately after getting home from it, or just before going to bed and so on. I’m not wasting my life here by any means.

I get really depressed everytime I turn on Forumosa; it’s like openning the fridge and staring in there hoping to find the solution to something.

But the beauty of Forumosa is the fridge items speak back.

I’m wasting my life here. I spend hours every day following sandman around to see if he’s said anything funny yet. Often I regret wasting so much time here.

But then I get new friends, jobs, interesting situations arising, ideas for things, party invitations, suggestive emails, all kinds of stuff.

Try to see this as a supplement to reality, rather than as a replacement for it. And don’t listen to Maoman about drinking beer. Some of us can’t stand the stuff.

I got my job through Forumosa. So I can’t complain.
Actually I got my job 'cos Im such a fresh teacher! But Forumosa, and the lovely Loretta, were definitely the catalyst.

I have no qualms about the time I spend reading through this stuff, it never interferes with my life. It gives me a chance to listen to others opinions, and to work out why I’m such a flounder bunny.

And now I have the chance to meet a few people into the bargain. So whats the BFD?

Enriched my life in Taiwan.

'nuff said

I know a guy who posts here. He’s been working with computers for many years now. If he’s not lurking Forumosa, he’s working on one of his projects(online projects). The guy loves computers and that’s just what he likes to do. There is no BFD I think. It’s a matter of preferences. It just depends what you like to do with your time. I lived my life for over 30 years without a computer and I’m sure I could go for another 30 years no problem.

The thing is I like to learn new things and as mentioned already in this thread, Forumosa has a very broad knowledge base. There are some very knowledgeable and very smart posters here and I really enjoy reading them.(when I understand what they are talking about)

And let’s not forget something essential here…The healing effect of laughter. I often find myself laughing out loud when I read some posts and that’s always a bonus.

You have no idea what you’re talking about and are a fool. I pity people people that pity people, but I especially pity the fools.

If it was like heroin, I don’t think you could just decide to quit. There aren’t a lot of things the Internet can be compared to. I don’t know what it was like (nor have read about it), but I bet the Internet is something like when telephones first starting gaining popularity.

As corny as that shit from the Matrix sounds, it’s true. “There is no spoon”.

miltownkid (10th degree digital ninja since '89)

My real name is Rupert von Teflon and I am a 7th level Gnome Illusionist. My best friends are a half-orc fighter, a human fighter, a halfling thief, a druid, and a dwarven cleric. Last week I fried spiders, and took on some minotaurs that are (oops should use past tense…cause they’re dead now) guarding the lair of a vampire we are supposed to gak. I spend a lot of time outside this site enjoying the company of my friends. It is not forumosa that gets in the way of my “human-to-human” contact because 1.) I’m a gnome and 2.) I have a good grasp on reality.

My real name is Richard. I need help.

Funny. When I met you, you didn’t look like Mr. T.