Forumosa Joint Effort Recipe

I have been considering a radiacal new recipe to which all can contribute suggestions. Clearly there are many good to great cooks here. We improvise but what turns up is usually damn good.
As a start, I like beef heart. If you haven’t tried it, don’t dis it. My kids used to have a fit and wouldn’t eat beef heart roast. Later, I called the butcher and had him label the heart as “veal”. Then they loved it and often asked me to buy more. Of course, this is easy stuff. Good but not very exotic. After searching online, I found one recipe that calls for cutting the heart in half lengthwise and stuffing it with any sort of bread dressing. Sounds pretty boring.
I would lay the raw heart flat and start on an edge with a filet knife. Cut it 1/4 inch thick and keep cutting, turning the heart as you cut so you end up with a large sheet of heart meat without interruption. It should end up as a sheet of meat about 1/4 inch thick by 12 inches long and 8 inches wide.
Now, the problem. My first thought was my standard oyster/turkey dressing. But recall, the beef has no fat which should be supplemented by the dressing. So maybe the oysters and turkey which are pretty lean would not be a good idea. I am know thinking of some kind of beef dressing. The beef should be cooked and generate a very fatty liquid after boiling so it can be added to the bread crumbs and spices. The left overs of a prime rib roast comes to mind but - not possible, at least easily. Here is where some suggestions would be appreciated.
After, the dressing is mixed, it would be spread evenly over the heart meat and then the mixture rolled and tied. Then baked. After baking and resting, it would be sliced. The outcome should be a delicious swirl of heart and beef dressing. The baking remnants could be mixed with a little red wine to make a light beef gravy to spill over the roast. Now, maybe a sprig of rosemary or two.
Just a rough draft but if anybody wants to help put it together, I’ll cook it and you can help me eat it.

I am a big fan of heart-healthy cooking, since heart disease runs in the family, so when fat-replacement is called for, I always turn to olive oil and/or nuts like walnuts.

If I were contemplating this, I would experiment with several directions, instead of beef (with beef fat) and oysters:

a pesto direction: olive oil, walnuts, garlic, maybe basil

or

a Mexican pibil direction: olive oil, annatto seed (atsuete/achiote) powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, onion, optionally with an OJ (maybe with vinegar and brown sugar) marinade

or

a Chinese oyster beef direction: olive oil, oyster sauce, sherry, green onion, ginger root, mushrooms

Just the first thoughts off the top of my head.

Some great suggestions. Just walnuts, etc seems a bit meager and light but certainly healthy. I like the direction because the heart is so lean and healthy. So, maybe stay with the health direction. Mix with ground walnuts, oranges with some orange peel, ???
Mix with ground beef liver? mmmmm. I like your direction but I think it needs more substance. The liver joke was only half a joke. Is that fat? or lean? It sounds fat.
Garlic Oh Ya
Rosemary Ya
Thyme Ya
Fineally chapped shallots - maybe
Walnuts - oh ya
olive oil - oh ya
spices???
What about the gravy?
Other suggestions? Did I leave some important point unmentioned?

Shove all that shit inside it if you want, but it’ll still be dry as day-old poodle shit. Wrap the whole lot in caul, though, and it should come out OK. I’ve done very similar.

A thought. How about a salmon filet(s) covered in shallots, lemon juice and olive oil. Spiced with salt and pepper and kiss from mama. Rolled, wrapped and baked. sliced and served with dressing of five spice, sugar, lemon and olive oil.
No gravy. Somehow, bacon comes to mind.
I’m shooting in the dark here. Suggestions

Dragon, I really like your healthy ideas. It just seems it needs more subsstance. That is, healthy substance. Salmon might solve the problem but I think salmon is considered pretty fatty. Anyway, if I have a walnut paste, combine it with garlic, olive oil, (ground green olive) and ??? Help me out here. I want to try this. I still think it needs more substance. Do we go more toward vegetables such as tomato or corn? I know that you have your own ideas on this but finish them off so we can see the whole effect. Healthy is in and I agree. Your ingredients make sense, I agree. Will they satisfy the needs of a 1/4 inch paste to be rolled on the heart meat.
Anybody. Help us out here. We will make this and publish it.

Meager? Heavy on the olive oil and nuts can be quite rich – think pesto. Sure, add oranges and orange peel to the oj.

Salmon can be fatty, yes, but salmon fat is healthy fat. Go for it! :wink:

Olive oil plus juices from cooking plus all the other ingredients should be plenty of sauce. Westerners are biased toward thinking that everything has to have a thick, fatty gravy. Why? As long as the meat ends up moist and flavorful, you shouldn’t need that crap. I’ve not cooked heart meat, but I tend to cook only very lean meats (skinless poultry, very lean beef, etc.), and don’t have any problems with it. If you want a gravy-like texture, add some corn starch to your excess liquids.

Consider baking in a double-sealed foil pouch with extra liquid to make sure it steams in its own juices and doesn’t dry out. :idunno:

[quote=“Enigma”]A thought. How about a salmon filet(s) covered in shallots, lemon juice and olive oil. Spiced with salt and pepper and kiss from mama. Rolled, wrapped and baked. sliced and served with dressing of five spice, sugar, lemon and olive oil.
No gravy. Somehow, bacon comes to mind.
I’m shooting in the dark here. Suggestions[/quote]

That sounds a lot better than a heart lol

Tempo;
I uderstand the sentiment but what was being discussed was this part layered upon a heart roll and wrapped for baking. I hope you still concur.

[quote=“Enigma”]Tempo;
I uderstand the sentiment but what was being discussed was this part layered upon a heart roll and wrapped for baking. I hope you still concur.[/quote]

i wholeheartedly do not. leave the pump in the chest where it belongs and give me the salmon.