Forumosa Personal Donor icon - no more pineapples or crabs

Once upon a time, I used a golden pineapple to designate Forumosans who generously gave us cash in support of our web hosting. The pineapple was placed below their names to the left of each of their posts.

We are thinking of bringing this type of recognition back - but golden pineapples are not considered intuitive enough to provide the proper recognition. I’ve suggested “golden crabs”, but they’ve been voted off the island, too.

Can you suggest something else? Even better, can you make something that we could use? :smiley:

Icons should not be larger than 30x30 pixel .GIF files (transparent background)

Well, off the top of my head we could take one of these, and have a dollar sign alternate with what’s inside the main circle. I can’t do the mockups at work now, since they’ve taken away my Photoshop (gee, guess why? :laughing: ), but might be able to squeeze one out later if you like any of these in particular.

If you’re just aiming for something golden, perhaps the same silhouette of Taiwan, since it’s also part of the Forumosa logo, but I’d add a dollar sign atop it.

Or a pot of gold with a rainbow? Just thinking aloud here…

Oooh, I like these…

[quote=“Dragonbones”]

[/quote]
And a pot o’gold under a rainbow would look cool, too :sunglasses:

Instead of a dollar sign, you could use a symbol for Yuan? :blush:

Yeah, that occurred to me too but some folks might not understand it. Which symbol for yuan did you want, the original 圓 or its simplified phonetic loan alternative, 元?

?

YES!

HG

I third Tetsuo’s brilliant suggestion!

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]

YES!

HG[/quote]

If we pay more money, do we get a bigger clam?

No disrespect to any of the suggestions offered thus far, but my own suggestion would be for something more “toned down”.

While I’m not under the illusion that everyone on this site is as buttoned-down/boring as I am :wink: , I do think that a symbol that is too wacky/happy-go-lucky might do less than it could to encourage people to contribute (or to be seen as a welcome sign of recognition by those who had).

Happily, most of the discussions here are good-natured and sunny. But if this icon is going to appear on every post someone makes, I know I would not be enamored of the notion of a smiling-rainbow-dancy-avacado-angel thing attached to a post where we were discussing someone’s personal tragedy, or other subjects of a more serious nature.

My vote would go to something more simple and neutral. One political forum I sometimes visit uses the simple :star: (which, as I recall, used to be used to signify “Forumosa age” here), which doesn’t seem too bad. Dragonbones’s suggestion of a tiny Taiwan silhouette seems pretty good to me too.

Just my two cents.

H

Why not just a traditional Chinese gold ingot thing?

Scaled down, of course.

One ingot can represent $20 or something, if you want to show appreciation to big-time donors.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]

YES!

HG[/quote]

If we pay more money, do we get a bigger clam?[/quote]And if you’re a cheapskate, you get crabs.

[quote=“Hobbes”]No disrespect to any of the suggestions offered thus far, but my own suggestion would be for something more “toned down”…
Happily, most of the discussions here are good-natured and sunny. But if this icon is going to appear on every post someone makes, I know I would not be enamored of the notion of a smiling-rainbow-dancy-avacado-angel thing attached to a post where we were discussing someone’s personal tragedy, or other subjects of a more serious nature.

My vote would go to something more simple and neutral. One political forum I sometimes visit uses the simple :star: [/quote]

Hobbes may have a good point there. On that note, here are a few more neutral options. We could enlarge or refine them of course:

Plus the star Hobbes offered:

Of those, I like the star best but the others might be improved by redoing them larger.

As for animated versions flashing a dollar or yuan sign, here’s a quick mockup of the thumbs up guy:

and with a 元 yuan character in gold:

If Goose Egg decides on the feller, I can do that with the dollar or yuan sign, but it has a lot of frames and moves around a lot so I won’t actually make it unless it’s chosen.[/quote]

Nice idea, but is this donation ‘icon’ going to be a personal choice? IMO I think that sets up a opening for marginalizing people.

[quote=“Namahottie”]Nice idea, but is this donation ‘icon’ going to be a personal choice?[/quote]That’s a good question I think. I’m sure if a donor requested to not have the “icon”, it wouldn’t be a problem. Probably just one less thing to do for admin.

My favorite so far is the gold and blue tag Dragonbones posted.

bobepine

Here are a couple variations on it, a bit larger, with 'mosa colors on the ribbon:

I’m a Libran, so that means I can change my mind.

I like the taels. You can imagine a Chinese website using much the same.

HG

Here’s the pot o gold:

Do you mean you think it will marginalize those who do not give a donation? I am not as optimistic as you about how many people will choose to donate - I just don’t want to presume.

The objective is to recognize those who support the website. We get alot of support from the moderators, who donate their time to keep things orderly here. I would like to do more for them, too.

The last thing we want to do is marginalize anyone. Indeed, we try to keep as open-minded about things as possible (not everything, mind you, but as open as possible :slight_smile:)

Here is a gold image of Taiwan: