Forumosa - Personal Info

I got an e-mail in July from a Forumosa user (and ex-mod). They knew my IRL name and (obviously) my personal e-mail address.

[quote]Hi X,

Saw your post on [Blah] […], feel free to post any of your [Blah] adventures here: taiwanease.com/en/forums/Blah.html

Best,
Y[/quote]

Gave them a friendly reply, but also asked how they got hold of those details. Heard nothing back.

I’m pretty sure that I’ve never shared those details with that user, so anyone any idea how this has happened?
The user is still a member of Forumosa and could’ve just PM’ed me.

Which mod? Mods don’t get personal info.

Then, replace ex-mod with ex-owner.

That’s a different ball game. What’s the point in complaining here anyways?

That’s a different ball game. What’s the point in complaining here anyways?[/quote]

Hmmm…because I’d bet that such a comment on the list referenced in the ex-owner’s email would have been deleted? And the OP is not pleased with having IRL information used in this way, and wanted to find out what could be done to stop it?

That’s a different ball game. What’s the point in complaining here anyways?[/quote]

Hmmm…because I’d bet that such a comment on the list referenced in the ex-owner’s email would have been deleted? And the OP is not pleased with having IRL information used in this way, and wanted to find out what could be done to stop it?[/quote]
Yeah but what can you do? OP just PM maoman or reply to him, I’m sure he’ll be cool with it.

It’s a legitimate question, because the OP didn’t know what level of personal information a moderator or admin or owner or whatever on Forumosa.com would have.

It doesn’t sound to me like a PM would do much good in this case. The OP’s e-mail response was not answered, and that’s the (inappropriate) form of communication that was chosen by the other party to the exchange. Presumably he would have used a PM if he used the PM function regularly on these boards.

Perhaps someone who knows the sender of the e-mail in real life could have a wee word with him or her about this. Oh, if only there were someone involved in this thread who fit that description… :ponder:

I’m posting here as it’s my Forumosa details that have been used.
Perhaps he was allowed to take away the user-info database when he stepped down - who knows?

Why does it matter who mis-used my personal details? Please explain.

I already replied to his spam, and got nada. Not chasing.

I’m posting here as it’s my Forumosa details that have been used.
Perhaps he was allowed to take away the user-info database when he stepped down - who knows?

Why does it matter who mis-used my personal details? Please explain.[/quote]
I think he may have the data base…and that’s why it may not be technical mis-use. Mind you I’m not defending anyone, just saying, that if you gave the guy your info and he starts another company, he may use it to promote his wares. But yeah I know how you feel spammed.

My thing was why give feedback to the flob??? Wouldn’t it better to tell the Taiwanease people to ‘back off ans stop spamming’? :smiley:

I’m pretty sure there was language somewhere about we will not sell your e-mail, etc. etc. when people signed up on F.com originally. I doubt most of them would care to get unsolicited e-mails from a third party – no matter how “related” the third party believes the products or services might be – as a result of having signed up on Forumosa. There is certainly no opt-in box for receiving communications from third parties about products or services.

Then Gus should’ve given it some thought! :laughing:

Or the person who took it should act ethically.

I’m watching Chiquita:

Apology now received, it seems that the normally so reliable e-mail system just failed to send my original reply.
Why does that always happen in this kind of incident ? :wink:

I didn’t sign up here to have someone waltz off with my details. If an admin departs, they should leave all that stuff behind :2cents:.

Why not give feedback here? It’s my (and presumably others) details that are being compromised.

[quote=“Nuit”]

Why not give feedback here? It’s my (and presumably others) details that are being compromised.[/quote]
Hi, anyone with the priviledges to use the “EMail” function in the Forums (which is almost the same as sending a PM) can send messages to your email address.
Whatever data Anthony (aka maoman, now on Taiwanease.com) and Gus (aka Goose Egg, owner of Forumosa.com) share(d) is up to them.
I suggest you contact them directly at admin@forumosa.com if you have concerns about this.