Forumosa vs. Taiwaneasy, Forumosa then vs. now

Yeah I’m not asking it to be this perfect sprinkle of all races. But it almost seemed blatant and very noticeable after a few episodes if you’ve been to NY.

It wasn’t what ruined the show for me, I just never found it that funny. But I always felt a bit weird about the demographics they put even in the background.

I agree Friends was blatant, NYC is nothing like that.

I genuinely don’t understand why so much conversation online has migrated to Facebook (or even Reddit, for that matter) - not just Taiwan-related but for all sorts of things (my hobbies for the most part, it seems).

Look at some of the useful threads on this site in the Legal sections on APRCs, Citizenship, etc. Now try to find the same on Facebook. It is a TERRIBLE place to find useful information because FB groups invariably become a big jumbled unsorted mess that’s hard to trawl through. Even Reddit becomes unmanageable when you’re looking for the latest response to a 465-message thread - because it’s buried in the middle somewhere and you can’t bring it to the top in context.

TLDR: stuff sucks, yuck.

3 Likes

Michael Bolton is a major cinephile.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY

You complete me

Since the Big Jump over to the new format, “a big jumbled [lightly sorted!] mess” also starts to describe what can be found here at forumosa. : P

Guy

Actually the search function is better than several years ago, although not perfect.

Far better than it used to be! It basically never worked before. Now it’s pretty good.

I do wish that older posts didn’t have such garbled quotes.

That is unfortunate.

Did you mean to write , ’ older posters"? :slightly_smiling_face:

The powers that be went out of their way to sell TV advertisements. Period. Check the diversity of those. Then you might have an argument. The Big Bang Theory is the same way now. Huge ad sales.

The reason for the way these popular shows are presented is money, not inclusion. They are bright lights and low cut dresses and mild hilarity across the broadest possible spectrum. To address them any other way is folly.

1 Like

As Tempo Gain said above, “Maoman wanted to do some different things like the Taiwanese directory and the full freedom to do them, so he set up his own site.”

That’s pretty much it. I still think that much could be done that isn’t being done, by either Taiwaneasy or Forumosa. But everyone has priorities and limited resources, and that’s reflected in the the way things are now. Est quod est.

1 Like

Taiwanease was a mildly clever name, at least visually, but when spoken always required an explanation and spelling, which made it a bad name. I inherited it along with the content of the Taiwanease magazine that Gus and I published years ago before we parted ways in 2011. Taiwaneasy, on the other hand, is something that can be spelt even by Taiwanese people who don’t speak much English.

1 Like

Mispost, please disregard.

Yea, never watch it, and why does Rachel get all the attention, other than her nips, I’m a Monica fan myself.

1 Like

Dude, for such a big guy, you are a delicate creature, aren’t you? I was posting on my own personal FB page, in the aftermath of the marriage equality referendum, about how abhorrent I find evangelicals and their poisoning of what I consider some of Jesus’ main teachings, and YOU come on with some really half-baked theology lecturing ME? On my own FB page? Of course I’m going to send you packing, what did you expect? It wasn’t that you had a dissenting opinion, either, it’s that it was dumb and yet so vehemently argued. Who’s got the time for that?

With the other thing, you posted in the (closed, FB) Men’s Support Group that men were being demonized for demonstrating what you termed “male traits” and again I challenged you. I may have made some digs against Jordan Peterson and his ilk as well. But the last thing I said to you was that you and I were talking past each other, so there wasn’t much point in continuing. I walked away from the discussion. I don’t know how you got the feeling that you were not “allowed” to disagree with me. I certainly never said anything to that effect. (BTW, I also stepped down as mod from that group as I don’t’ really have the time, so feel free to apply for the vacancy, lol)

Andrew, I think you bruise way too easily but still, I apologize if I caused you any distress. I only meant to argue your points, not to attack you as a person. If you weren’t clear on that, I guess I wasn’t doing a good enough job. I’m sorry.

Talk about a delicate creature. You ever hear not to throw stones in a class house? Please don’t pretend like you’re some gentleman and “walked away” from the conversation. Yeah right after you took a passive aggressive jab on an entire post about why you’re leaving lol. Always the hero in your mind, the guy that cares about mental health but jokes at people and pretend to help after being called out on it. Don’t kid yourself buddy.

Writing short stories and taking things personally is exactly my point on your ability to stay unbiased in any mod position.

According to this link, ‘orientated’ and its related assets (trademarks, logo, etc) are still available for sale. If I remember correctly, this is referring to the original orientated. So to say it did not shut down but just re-incarnated itself as the current forumosa is arguable.

http://oriented.com/

People moved on.

I think there was an Oriented/Segue split at the time, with Oriented pursuing more social-type activities.