Forumosa vs. Taiwaneasy, Forumosa then vs. now

Tell us what rules we are breaking or leave us alone. We don’t need to be mothered on a public access site.

You are not fishing for some “spirit of the rules” drivel by any chance?

At the end of the day a lot more than you think is public knowledge, which is why I have cut my facebook usage down a lot - whose business is it to know where I am or what I do?

Whatever you do and whatever you post can come back and haunt you. If you do not want to world to know, then the best thing you can do is to STFU.

I cannot see that anyone would have any issues with either spoof sites or having 100 different forums for foreigners about Taiwan. Really.

Forumosa has been around for ages, however at the same time it’s changing all the time. Taiwanease is new, interesting to see how it works out. Oh well, time will tell.

I’m starting to lose it over here in Kaohsiung. I took a few semesters of Chinese, don’t like self study in a book so staying at home doesn’t help improve my language skills, but like you, I can go a whole day without looking a human in the eyes.

Its my own fault though, caused by my poor mandarin because I feel stupid even going out to talk with anyone, and other than going to work, I hide in my apartment at other times. Its getting to be ridiculous. So I read here a lot.

That sux (for you, sounds great to me). But GO OUT AND SPEAK CHINESE! So what if you sound stupid? Start small and build up. Go out and get some fruit. Ask the fruit guy the name of something else. Give yourself another mission tomorrow.

There are 620,000 good reasons for you to get out there and give it a go. We expect a full report on Monday morning. Now man up. Mandarin isn’t as frightening as you’re making it out to be.

Ermintrude and Winston

I’m a bit of a pussy so that’s half the problem. Will give it a whirl tomorrow and see what happens.

The big problem I noticed is that the grammar is still horrible and adding new words is difficult. The brain tends to drop new things if you don’t use it immediately. That and finding people to speak with that don’t look shocked when a foreigner walks in. :smiley:

Everyone sounds stupid in a foreign language. Even ironlady and the Chinese (language) ninjas on this site sounded stoopid for ages before attaining linguistic enlightenment. What? You’re too special and important to sound stoopid? :wink:

Go on, if you get braver at this, you’ll get braver at other stuff too.

Mr He, I am not looking for any spirit of the rules stuff, if you mean me.

I just don’t think all the mods are on the same page here anymore.

Edit: The term “silly buggers” seems to have raised a furball in some cat’s throat. Before he hack-ack-ack’s himself into a stewpor, know that I meant it in the sense of touch rugby, a term familiar to anyone that’s played rugby. The metaphor is simply representing the level of play each team competes at, as the rankings would indicate. YMMV

One of the changes I really like is how mods now have autonomous control over their forums. I think this is singly the biggest difference from the flob of yore. Even The Great Goose cannot sway their decisions. I love that about the new flob. So yes, they aren’t on the same page. They each have their own page. I relish that difference and say to them, job well done, no matter your decision.

‘autonomous control over’? You really aren’t selling it as a community resource. Might go and create content for Facebook, today, instead of your advertisers.

I don’t get your meaning. Did you misunderstand mine?

Okay, now that we’ve got that out of our systems is Taiwanease better than Forumosa or not? And why in hell did they go and start two foreigner websites in such a small market as Taiwan? Did Maoman and Goose Egg have some kind of falling out? What’s the dirt here?

Digging into that dirt is not appropriate. Real life and online life are supposed to be separated- read the rules - and those guys are real people who many of us encounter in real life. The enmity that outing all the dirt online might stir up is also something that could affect them in real life.

If you want to know what happened, ask one or both of them.

Time to shut the Zain Dean thread down then. I don’t know Maoman or Goose Egg so asking them what’s going on isn’t an option. Seems like a fair question though. Why are there two foreigner centric sites in such a small market as Taiwan? Is there some sort of new and improved business model in the works that those of us who aren’t in the in crowd aren’t aware of is or is it all just fallout from some personal politics?

In short, Forumosa is a forum and classifieds section. Taiwanease encompasses Parent Pages, has an app, directory of businesses and reviews of these businesses, chat function, and a forum. Taiwanease has been around for a couple of years so is still young, whereas F.com has been around for over a decade.

Oh God, I thought it was just a silly name! Someone showed me the spoof site: truly painful! WHY? Why would anyone waste that much time doing that? Most of us have been clowns online before, but why publicly advertise your complete lack of grace, humour and intelligence like that? WHHHHY?! :noway: :laughing:

There are many others Forums, none that closely related though:
TaiwanHo: taiwanho.com/talk/index.php
Internations: internations.org/taiwan-expats/forum
ESLCafe (teacher centric): forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/

Taiwanease anyhow is more than just a Forum. Most of Forumosa’s traffic according to Alexa is from outside Taiwan. Not the same for Taiwanease.

Tat was my exact reaction. I didnt even know it was the name of a website until engerim convinced me to type it out. Total wtf moment.

…to have created a website of the morons, by the morons, for the morons… :roflmao: :bravo: