FOUND - Lost black tu gou near Taan Park -wearing muzzle

:bravo: I’m so glad to hear that the dog was found safe and reunited with its owner. I know how I would feel if one of my 14 babies disappeared.

:loco: I’d never put a muzzle on a dog, unless he was gnawing his own tail off or sth. Talk about animal abuse! Why can’t they let dogs be dogs. If you are afraid, walk away. Besides, there are enough scary/scared strays roaming the streets to take a piece of your leg and without rabies on this island, what’s to worry about. OK! Whatever.

[quote=“divea”][quote]In summary, wearing the muzzle was to avoid trouble and calm the neighbors.[/quote] :loco: I’d never put a muzzle on a dog, unless he was gnawing his own tail off or sth. Talk about animal abuse! Why can’t they let dogs be dogs. If you are afraid, walk away. Besides, there are enough scary/scared strays roaming the streets to take a piece of your leg and without rabies on this island, what’s to worry about. OK! Whatever.[/quote]Divea, I haven’t kept up on the current laws regarding dog ownership as it pertains to muzzling your dog in public, but here’s how it used to be a few years ago. If your dog was heavier than 25 kg or of a certain designated breed like Pitbull, Rottweiler, Tibetan, Bull Mastiff, etc. You were required by law to have your dog muzzled at all times while in public. Of course this law, like all other laws, was ignored by most Taiwanese people.

Anyone know the current law, which nobody follows, regarding muzzling?

If there is a law, it certainly is disregarded. Where I live, dogs as big as ponies and as fat as super sized farm pigs and as hairy as a bear (I once mistook one to be a bear, and the owner said it happens all the time) walk around unmuzzled. Even the one that looks like snow fox is kept under 2 tight leashes but unmuzzled.

Yay! So happy dog was found!!! Gives me hope for the next time someone loses a dog. Feel the search not so much in vain.

I am afraid of muzzled dogs. I figure they have been muzzled for a reason, such as an uncontrollable urge to eat people, so I steer well clear. I always feel bad for them as cooling is via the tongue, and it must get horribly hot for them with no way to cool off (can’t sweat through skin). Frack what the neighbours think. I am still training my dog not to chase cats - also a Tougou and looks rather like the second picture of this dog. I walk her on a leash because of the cat training. I am not the best trainer, but am getting better everytime I see Straydog do a demo. I should probably start watching Caesar Milan or something. Get more consistent with it. Maybe this will be a good opportunity for your friend to rethink the muzzle - given the dog was dehydrated and all. Attacking never works, but sometimes gentle suggestions at the right time do. Fingers crossed.

:loco: I’d never put a muzzle on a dog, unless he was gnawing his own tail off or sth. Talk about animal abuse! Why can’t they let dogs be dogs. If you are afraid, walk away. Besides, there are enough scary/scared strays roaming the streets to take a piece of your leg and without rabies on this island, what’s to worry about. OK! Whatever.[/quote]

Some people muzzle their dogs so they can let them run off-leash without the fear of them eating poison, which is a very real problem here. Putting a muzzle on one dog can also prevent another getting bitten or badly hurt. If it’s a muzzle where the dog can pant and drink, then it’s far better than one that keeps the mouth closed. I don’t use them, but I can understand why others do.

:loco: I’d never put a muzzle on a dog, unless he was gnawing his own tail off or sth. Talk about animal abuse! Why can’t they let dogs be dogs. If you are afraid, walk away. Besides, there are enough scary/scared strays roaming the streets to take a piece of your leg and without rabies on this island, what’s to worry about. OK! Whatever.[/quote]

Some people muzzle their dogs so they can let them run off-leash without the fear of them eating poison, which is a very real problem here. Putting a muzzle on one dog can also prevent another getting bitten or badly hurt. If it’s a muzzle where the dog can pant and drink, then it’s far better than one that keeps the mouth closed. I don’t use them, but I can understand why others do.[/quote]
It’s still inhumane. It’s done, coz a human can do it. It’s not for the dog’s best interestes.

I agree with your point, but on the other hand, if a dog were to bite someone, then the dog would be put down (at least where I come from), and that would also not be in the dog’s best interest.

For people who are learning how to relax when their dog meets other dogs, I always suggest muzzling the dog, as it gives the person the confidence needed to override the fear they had, which was the actual cause of the aggression in their dog. I muzzle scared dogs when I have to handle them or when vets need to examine them. The muzzle is a valuable, humane tool when used the right way, at the right times, and for the right reasons (ultimately in the dog’s best interest).

Agreed. I think more PEOPLE should be muzzled.

One of my dogs Feifei doesn’t like children and tends to snap. I muzzle her when she has to wait for me outside a shop or library. Better safe than sorry.