Founding of New York

It came to my ear that New York was actually founded by Flemish and Wallon, Belgian settlers and not by the Dutch, in so far one could speak about Belgium back than.
Manhattan and Staten Island was bought by them not the Dutch. They were people from the West Indies Company. About 30 Families.
The West Indies Company was pure Belgian blood so to speak, not one Dutch man was part of that company

That the Dollar is a bastardized word from ‘daalder’ the unit at that time.

President Roosevelt was a decendant of one of those families.

Wow, Belgians and New York, who would have thought that.

So why did they call it New Amsterdam?

I thought dollar came from the German thaler - money used in the dales (valleys).

[quote=“Juba”]So why did they call it New Amsterdam?

I thought dollar came from the German thaler - money used in the dales (valleys).[/quote]

They didn’t, I don’t recall the exact name they used at first but it was named after a Wallon village I believe, the one thing I remember is that Hoboken is named after a town near Antwerp in Belgium.

Excuse me for not answering correctly as I heard it in a radio program about historic ‘Belgian (Flemish)’ settlements around the world.

Daalder -Thaler is about the same meaning.

Found it, the original name for New York was ‘Neuf Avesnes’, named after a small village in one of the French speaking southern provinces in what’s Belgium today.

Here it is in … French

[quote]

Yes - that is why NYC was once New Amsterdam. Being typically flemish, you bought it for 12$ in beads

maritimehistory.info/explora … -York.html

This should provide a few answers.

It wasn’t Belgium yet back then …

[quote]

The Stuyvesant name is all over upstate NY to this day.

Hoboken is in New Jersey BTW.

Are you trying to be Chinese now Belgian Pie? The people who used to live where Belgium is now settled and started NYC, and we want our fair shake; sounds . lol

Get in line.

The Stuyvesant name is all over upstate NY to this day.

Hoboken is in New Jersey BTW.

Are you trying to be Chinese now Belgian Pie? The people who used to live where Belgium is now settled and started NYC, and we want our fair shake; sounds . lol

Get in line.[/quote]

They were flemish BTW, I’m Flemish BTW … Belgium is just the name of a piece of land.

Chinese? Yes, we should annex part of what now is called the USA.