Four-Year Old Girl Beheaded in Neihu

I got home this evening and my wife told me about it. She said the little girl and her mother were near Xihu MRT station when it happened. I don’t much else about it. I feel so sorry for the little girl and her family. I live about one kilometer away from where it happened, and I have a young daughter and a young son, so I’m a bit rattled by such a random and senseless act.

This is from the Apple Daily.

That is beyond horrible. But can you provide a brief for us who can’t read Chinese? What happened?
At first I thought she was run over because I saw the bike, but then I saw the cleaver.

NVM. Here is an English link:
taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … id=2901549

The perp is insane. He should be allowed to be lynched by the mob.

Over here he will probably get off on an insanity plea, or get the death penalty and be behind bars till he dies an old man.

So sad with all those people around that nobody could stop him in time.

Yes, I also read it, a 33 year old guy apparently bought a knife and was waiting around xihu station. When the girl got stuck with her bike the guy came up, the mother thought he was going to help the girl with the bike, but he started slashing her neck with a chopper knife.

This kind of maniac randomly killing strangers nearby mrt stations, seems to be a recurring thing here. It’s really disturbing. There are some real nutcases out there.

[quote=“dabomb_gent”]Yes, I also read it, a 33 year old guy apparently bought a knife and was waiting around xihu station. When the girl got stuck with her bike the guy came up, the mother thought he was going to help the girl with the bike, but he started slashing her neck with a chopper knife.

This kind of maniac randomly killing strangers nearby mrt stations, seems to be a recurring thing here. It’s really disturbing. There are some real nutcases out there.[/quote]

Yes, some real nutcases around. Now everyone will fear anyone who approaches their kids, thinking the worst.

Which is what we have here in “the west”.

focustaiwan.tw/news/afav/201603280022.aspx

This is an article about it in english. FYI

[quote=“dabomb_gent”]http://focustaiwan.tw/news/afav/201603280022.aspx

This is an article about it in english. FYI[/quote]

Thanks for the link. Sorry to say but I think this was a copycat who is copying the ones who have done similar things. For the public attention such an act receives.

He should be allowed to be brutally beaten and beheaded by the crowd. This will help deter another copycat who thinks he will get in the public eye and be “softly” executed with a quick gunshot to the heart while doped up or lethal injection and “just fall asleep”. No he should be brutally slaughtered in public so that others who are thinking of such an act will be deterred.

This is a case where the “brutal” beheading on the public street method employed by the Saudi Arabians actually make sense.

I am afraid more of these will happen as the insane seek attention .

You can’t stop the really insane but you can stop those who are slightly bent if they know the punishment will really hurt for them.

If Taiwan claims to be civilized the death penalty is the worse thing they can do to this guy. All the death penalty does is give him an easy way out. Prison for life with no chance of getting out is the best option. If Taiwan put him to death, then Taiwan is no better than China.

I am FOR the death penalty as long as the crime is murder and the perp is without doubt proven to be guilty. Actually a life behind bars is a FAR GREATER punishment then to be doped up and shot through the heart at sunrise (or sundown).

This case is very complex (not regarding punishment for the perp, I am ok with him getting put to death or behind bars for life) but for the fact that the perp is mentally insane.

IF he is mentally insane (his action dictates that he is pretty loony) it is actually not humane to put him to death. He would need to be in a psych hospital for the rest of his days. With the added provision that he must be considered dangerous as he could attack and kill others while in the hospital.

Taiwan would need a better job of identifying and “removing” the insane from the public. But this is very scary. Could someone not really insane end up in the crazy house for life?

So it is not an easy thing at all.

This guy appeared to have been under some sort of psych treatment but was not determined to be a threat. HE seems to have a home of some sort. And yet he buys a cleaver and waits for the perfect victim.

And just chops away before anyone can meaningfully stop him.

Not much different from the perp in China who killed several kindergarten children at a school the same way.

So there’s no way to stop this from happening completely.

Parents have to do it the “western way” and assume anyone approaching their kids to be potential danger.

Sad but its the world we live in.

IF a truly insane person does this act, its not really humane to slaughter him. But if a sane person who is simply evil did this, i am pro beheading him in public Saudi style. Or even better, the old American Western style of public lynching. Beat him and string him up in the town square.

The death penalty for a country that is un-civilized yes. But Taiwan claims to be civilized.
This “western way” you mention is the American way. In Europe people don’t parent like that.

has it come out yet whether this guy is really insane or not? i think that’s kind of important but the only sort of reaction seems to be calling for the death penalty.

when i first heard the news my immediate thought was it was a mentally ill person. i’ve just seen so many walking the streets here it doesn’t surprise me that some are dangers to society.

Sickening. Poor girl and her poor family. Whatever they do to this monster it won´t bring the little girl back or mend her family´s ruined lives.

According to some reports he had a history of mental illness, so another big question mark over how the mentally ill are cared for in Taiwan.

Even if mentally ill there’s a ‘thing’ here and in China of unemployed bitter males killing innocent kids and people.

i know we’ve had this discussion before but jeez Tommy, get a hold of yourself. Do you really think that in 2016 lynch mobs are the way forward? :loco:

Not trying to downplay the horror of this tragic event but all this talk about how ‘Taiwanese are crazier’ is total BS. See Brussels, Paris, countless of mass shootings in America, Akihabara massacre, Germanwings plane crash, or Anders Breivik. Oh and a couple of weeks ago a Russian nanny also chopped off a kid’s head in Moscow.

Crazy people are everywhere, the problems lie in the low social mobility, the lack of opportunities and freedom of choices, the lack of emphasis put on the treatment of mental illness, the stupid drug policy, amongst others. And sometimes even if you take care of most these, a la the Scandinavian countries or Germany, shit still hits the fan from time to time.

I’m by no means a big fan of Taiwan, I think it’s a crap country, but to blame these random murder cases on some genetic or cultural ‘Chineseness’ or ‘Taiwaneseness’ is, frankly, racist and bigoted, and makes one just as much of a joke as those idiots advocating a ban on Muslims or the implementation of Singaporean style corporal punishment.

edit +1 Gain - there is craziness everywhere. Always has been.

I couldn’t even listen to this story last night. Horrific. He got a few decent hits on the way to the station, for sure, it’s going to raise emotions in people.
https://www.facebook.com/setnews/videos/1017640541653867/

What possible redemption can there be for a guy with such issues, to be able to follow through on such ‘desires’’? A lifetime of medication and supervision, behind bars.

Close to my home. That seems to be where I eat and buy food quite often. Taipei’s insane and knifes. At loss for words beyond that.

Edit:
Guess it’ll be new safety protocols when walking with my little son. Trying to shield off people who seem distressed or nervous. Not easy in a crowd.

[quote=“Nuit”]edit +1 Gain - there is craziness everywhere. Always has been.

I couldn’t even listen to this story last night. Horrific. He got a few decent hits on the way to the station, for sure, it’s going to raise emotions in people.
https://www.facebook.com/setnews/videos/1017640541653867/

What possible redemption can there be for a guy with such issues, to be able to follow through on such ‘desires’’? A lifetime of medication and supervision, behind bars.[/quote]

There are crazies everywhere. Still, Taiwan has had a bit of a record with child killings through the years, usually perpetrated by the parents actually. The family cases rarely make the English news. That’s probably not ‘mental crazy’ just driven by values such as face and selfishness.

Definitely prevention is the only way to deal with it, got to invest more in mental health services and social security.

I think we can be safe to assume that anyone who would take a meat clever to a 4 year old girl’s neck has issues.

As a father myself, I can’t even begin to imagine what the mother must be going through to have witnessed this. Absolutely heart wrenching.

Here the recurring theme seems to be the 30+ frustrated with life guy who attacks a complete stranger with knife for no apparant reasons. There have been enough cases in the last few years.

Just give these guys the death penalty, sometimes you just need to put the garbage out.