Framed? Parking Ticket Question

A word of background:

In the lane outside my apartment there is, and has been for a long time, a fitfully drawn red line along both sides of the street. Because our lane is a dead end residents have, for as long as I can remember, cheerfully ignored the line and parked there. Cars and bikes pose no real obstruction there and I can see no reason for a parking restriction. No one - to my knowledge - received a ticket… until recently, that is. About three weeks ago the police came, without warning, and ticketed the whole lane from beginning to end. A few weeks later the postman came with a registered letter for almost every home on the street - a fine of NT$600!

And then…
On Saturday I left my scooter at 12pm at a 3 metre section of our lane where there is no red line. On Sunday I returned to Taipei and found that my sccoter had been moved to a place where there is a red line and that a parking ticket was issed at 12…40pm.

Maybe I was being too clever parking where I did. But the fact is that someone else, quite possibly a policeman, moved my scooter a few metres to a red line area and I got a ticket. What should I do? Should I just foregt it and pay? Or do I have the option of challenging the ticket? How should I do it? I was trying to be clever and it did me no good. But on the other hand a policeman possibly (probably) fabricated evidence!

What do you think? I know I’m being a bit perverse about this but it bugs me that I got a ticket after someone moved my bike. And if, as seems likely, it was a policeman…

I find it curious to see how the mind of a non legally trained person works. (Please accept that as a “neutral” comment, no insult intended.)

But, in regard to the issue at hand . . . why would you attempt to legally fight something which you cannot prove?

It is not even worth fighting the ones that you can prove, like “tickets” issued before the official hours for parking meters. They just sit on your request until your car registration is due, and you cannot renew your registration if there is an outstanding fine. Sure, you could probably fight it, but I am sure the effort would make $600 seem very reasonable.

It would probably end up in an administrative appeal - so you do nothing for anyone else in the same situation - even if you win you create no precedent.

Someone probably wanted your space for a car, and so moved the scooter. Then the car was moved before you returned.

While that might seem unlikely to you, I find it much easier to believe than that a policeman would be willing to expend the energy to move a scooter in order to ticket it.

Basically, either way you’re screwed. I advise you to pay the fine before you get late charges tacked on.

You haven’t got a prayer. The police will say someone else must have moved your bike, when they came upon it it was on a red line and so a ticket was issued, in accordance with the law. Then they will go over your bike and its history with a fine tooth comb and see if they can come up with anything else to hit you with. A month’s paperwork.

Ditto.

quote:

While that might seem unlikely to you, I find it much easier to believe than that a policeman would be willing to expend the energy to move a scooter in order to ticket it. [/QB]

Install a surveillance camera for the next time.

Just pay it, no way you can win that fight even you are right.

Curious, I’ve been nailed twice. And both times they took my scooter and chalked the ground. Why didn’t that happen to you? They generally do the rounds about once a year from my experience too.

Yeah, good question; why do they tow sometimes and only issue tickets other times? Is it only when its inconvenient to tow that they issue tickets? Kinda curious.
I’d much rather pay $600 when I get a chance than dragging my butt in a taxi to the nearest dropoff point (which usually isn’t in the vicinity of ‘near’) and pay $800…

Thanks everybody. Your advice is pretty much as I thought it would be.

On the scale of injustices, I recognise that this one doesn’t even register… :slight_smile:

I’ll smile and pay up! :slight_smile:

HO! Wait just a doggone minute here!

quote[quote] I find it curious to see how the mind of a non legally trained person works. (Please accept that as a "neutral" comment, no insult intended.) [/quote]

— Hartzell

Or, “I wonder what he’s going to do for a face once the monkey wants its bum back…(Please accept that as a “neutral” comment, I didn’t mean you.)”

So the “legally trained mind” (as opposed to the illegally trained one, we might suppose) is superior to a good mind that is well educated, but not in law? Please! Loosen the C-clamp around your head a twist or two.

im with the pay-the-fine and forget about it crowd. in the long run you’ll probably be able to talk your way out of a ticket or two the cops would like to give you when you really do something wrong, like make an illegal left turn or speed and get pulled over on the highway.

btw, speaking in english really really fast when they first address you works for me…then when you discover whether or not they can follow, speak even faster…or try to mangle your mandarin so badly they they just shoo you away…

and before someone cries FOUL! i know many chinese who lived in america who did the SAME thing! lol and the women cried to boot! cops cant stand “foreigner” tears anywhere in the world it seems

I’ve had that happen to me too. I hate people moving my bike around. Both wheels are locked at night so they often knock it over. There’s a guy next door who moves nearby bikes to save ‘his’ parking space. Wanker! I’d love to get a truck and tow a car out onto the street to park my scooter. PS I think the tickets are just becuase a cop wanders by and gives a lot of tickets, whereas you get towed when a truck comes by and does some towing. Like the time I got towed parked outside the hospital with a broken foot. Wankers.

Bri

Like the time I got towed parked outside the hospital with a broken foot.

Why do you park yourself outside with a broken foot and not stay inside the hospital. At least you wouldn’t get towed away …

What happens when you are pulled over for a driving offence here?

I was in a stand-off with a traffic cop in Beijing once, how I was I suppose to know that I should get out of MY car and walk up to his car!!
After 5 Minutes he eventually got out and came up to my window, and waved me on when he saw my stupid english mug staring up at him.

I find the best way to avoid fines is to speak a made up language, a combination of stupid sounds and hand signals.

(I don’t advocate the above, but sh*T I’m a english man who spends to much time in the midday sun)

quote[quote] What happens when you are pulled over for a driving offence here? [/quote]

In the 17 years I have been here, I have never been “pulled over” once on my Vespa.
Car drivers, do police ever stop you while you are moving, as opposed to catching you at a checkpoint?

I’ve been waved down several times before, mostly for making rights on reds. One time the cop ran alongside me and pulled my key out of my ignition as I was driving to stop me. I’ve been waved on a couple of time when Taipei’s Finest saw my striking resemblance to a foreigner, but I’ve never tried the “I don’t speak Chinese” trick before.

Got chased/pulled over on the NE coast road once for passing on a hill in a wee van. I was the passenger and so baked that I just kept on skinning up while the driver dealt with the busy.

Apart from that, just the usual checkpoint stuff: “Her jiou ma?” “Mei you.” “Hao.”

By Sandman in reference to the cop questioning him

quote[quote]“Her jiou ma?” [/quote]You didn’t misunderstand did you mate? He probably had a slab (box, case) of beer at his feet and was just looking for a friend to talk too.

How about getting fined for speeding?

How long dows it take for them to send out the fines?

Do they have those cameras on the freeway or is it just the cops I have be on the looklut for?

I drive in 6.15 AM - not too much traffic that early, so I may oftentimes drive a bit on the fast side.