Franchise restored to Overseas Canadians

Voting rights restored permanently for all Canadians living overseas by SCC ruling. I will certainly reregister.

2 Likes

haha.
Wait until this sets you up to be double-taxed by Taiwan and Canada while working/living in Taiwan.
Be careful what you wish (voting rights) for, as other sheety “duties” follow behind.
I’d give up my overseas voting rights in order to not be double-taxed.

Only the US is that forked

Nahh, that’s still uniquely American.

I’ve had my franchise in Italy since I became an adult and I’ve never even lived there. Never paid a nickel in taxes. (Can’t say penny anymore, they got rid of them.)

USA! USA! USA!

The point is, some politicians in Canada will eventually say that if overseas Canadians are given voting rights, then they should also contribute to the treasury coffers. I give it 12 months before some Canuck politician makes that statement.

Except that only two countries tax based off citizenship. USA and Eritrea, the world’s model for democracy™. Hardly what I’d call a trend and the non-citizen residents that come into Canada certainly do pay taxes, more than making up for the shortfall we create.

Also, outside of Canada, I already pay for every service afforded to me by overseas representatives, such as passports and the like.

Looks like we can vote again federally. Just in case people didnt know.

5 Likes

As it should be.

We already heard, but thanks anyway. Good news deserves to be repeated. :slight_smile:

Please make Trudeau lose. Even if you lie to me , say you promise :slightly_smiling_face: I’m pleased you can vote anyway

I promise…

…that I have a witty response to your request, but it’s not quite fit to print. :speak_no_evil: :wink:

It’s fine … I would expect nothing less :blush:I noticed a concern may have been for those who have never been to Canada ? Did they include every citizen , whatever ?

I am from Canada and I am wasted (and a vote for Trudeau is very wasted indeed).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkfv0MoqKtk

1 Like

If you guys had a poll … and it was equal for both sides … you could just not bother and have some beers instead :yum:

1 Like

I will be voting to get rid of this so-called feminist ex-drama teacher who bullies a competent indigenous justice minister, removes her from her portfolio, kicks her out of the party without putting it to a caucus vote, and threatens opposition leaders with libel, etc.

His dad, love him or hate him (and in Cowtown in the early 80s it was definitely the latter), was at least intellectually sharp.

Justin takes after his mom in terms of IQ. Although at least he is not flashing his man-gina in Studio 54 LOL.

Looks like it could be close.

Am i mistaken or do canadians abroad get taxed by canada only if they are residents of canada?

Im a citizen but not a resident. Thus i dont benefit from health care, education type services while abroad. For health care i believe i need to move back for 3 months to be a resident and able to apply for health care as normal.

So i thought in this case we did not get taxed. But if still a resident on paper, and able to recieve health care etc, tax man phucks you. Double…p’ed

The thing that always got me was i could always vote provincially without a hitch. Barely even a check of ID…

No. Non-resident citizens do not pay/file income taxes. That’s a US thing. Taxes are only for residents.

How do votes get counted for overseas voters? Which riding do the votes go to?