Frank Hsieh the aboriginal

[quote]
thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi … rldupdates

“I have been told that my great-grandmother was an aborigine, but I’m not aware which tribe she belonged to,” the Central News Agency quoted Hsieh [/quote]
I guess this is official, the 2008 presidential race of Taiwan has begun.

wipe soda off monitor :smiley:

Yo, dropout, you omitted the best part of the quote:

:bouncy: :cry:

Well, in that case I must be related to A-Mei, because I feel the same way when I hear her music. :wink:

If he is an aborigine than he comes from Australia.

What a crack up, it is chic to be indian! The same “indian chic” phase hit America in the mid and late 70’s (that was when Marlon Brando was an “undercover indian millionaire”.)

My dad (who was legit 1/8 Cherokee, eligible to join the Cherokee Nation) used to go into rages whenever he used to see some clown try to “pass themsleves off” as an indian.

It amuses me too. What is interesting is to see the mirror image deal; which is a fair percentage of local folks have some Japanese “blood” in them…wonder if Fab Frankie is going to start singing “I think I’m turning japanese, I think I’m turning japanese, I really think so” (lyrics stolen from old Devo song).

Well, not very likely. Gee, if foreigners could vote would Fab Frankie claim to be part white?, part black, part Filipino?

Well I must head off to teach, so no time to ponder such political science and genetics issues.

The Vapors, you blithering fool, the Vapors! :wink:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Yo, dropout, you omitted the best part of the quote:

:bouncy: :cry:

Well, in that case I must be related to A-Mei, because I feel the same way when I hear her music. :wink:[/quote]

Maybe Annette Lu will try and deport him to Latin America
:smiling_imp: google.com.tw/search?hl=zh-T … ca&spell=1

Oh, oh, right you are; it is the Vapors, the great one hit wonders of New Wave. I should have known that because Dave Fenton, was and I guess still is, a solicitor (British attorney) so as a brother attorney across the pond I should have known.

I stand New Wave corrected.

Vaporous Brian
Attorney and Rock Star at Law

I should think the majority of Taiwanese have aboriginal ancestry from the lowland (Pingbu) tribes. Go to Fujian, where most Han migrants to Taiwan came from. The people there just don’t have that “Taiwanese look”. So where did the “look” come from? The Pingbus, surely.

From what I’ve read, this is certainly true.

Brian

When I read that article, I naturally thought of the Aborigine Protest that happened after Lu’s comments last year.

Then I was like, hey, wait a minute. Where was he when they were protesting in front of Presidential Office? Or did he realize this only just lately? I want to know…

If the Aborigines do another anti-DPP type protest before 2008, do you guys think he will still remember this declaration?

[quote=“Betelnut”]When I read that article, I naturally thought of the Aborigine Protest that happened after Lu’s comments last year.

Then I was like, hey, wait a minute. Where was he when they were protesting in front of Presidential Office? Or did he realize this only just lately? I want to know…

If the Aborigines do another anti-DPP type protest before 2008, do you guys think he will still remember this declaration?[/quote]
Aborigines? I dont know, I mean excitement is a bit romantic but not really submissable. I could claim I get excited whenever I see a hot slender girl at the beach, but relation? Anyway, I thought most aborigines in Taiwan supported the KMT for economic incentives not for Unification reasons.

The pinyin is pingpu, not pingbu. And while it is likely that the bulk of non-Aboriginal Taiwanese can trace their ancestry to a pingpu Aboriginal woman, there are still a number who have connections to non-pingpu Aboriginal communities, especially on the east coast and in Pingtung where the “frontier” wasn’t as violent as elsewhere.

It’s a fascinating issue, but why Frankie should think the matter worth raising is another matter. Funny he should mention the Bunun, because it looks like he was dressed as an Alishan Tsou, who of course at one time fought many furious battles with their Bunun neighbors to the north.

A real aborigine would understand that aboriginality isn’t about costumes and folk dances so much as political, economic, and social relations. A non-aboriginal who appealed to aborigines with a message based on that would do much better than one who played dress-up. (Thinking of U.S. presidential race when about 7 candidates including Jesse Jackson all showed up in Texas wearing cowboy hats.)

But maybe he’s not trying to appeal to aborigines. Maybe he’s really trying to shore up his Taiwanese base, by pretending to appeal to aborigines. (Like Bush appealing to blacks not because he stood a chance in hell, but for the sake of the soccer moms who approve of that sort of thing.)

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]
But maybe he’s not trying to appeal to aborigines. Maybe he’s really trying to shore up his Taiwanese base, by pretending to appeal to aborigines. (Like Bush appealing to blacks not because he stood a chance in hell, but for the sake of the soccer moms who approve of that sort of thing.)[/quote]

Or just remind people who is closer to the aborigines. He was born on Taiwan and probably has SOME bit of aboiginal blood somewhere. It might not be a lot, but he can at least make the show, look slightly foolish and remind everyone where he is from at the same time. It is a stupid show, but it is a show Ma could never make.

Wow, great detective work.