Fred's the man!

I’d vote for him! [i]Hell yeah[/i] I’d vote for him!

[quote]
Thompson’s hint at presidential try thrills GOP in state

By COLBY SLEDGE

If former Tennessee senator and Hollywood actor Fred Thompson will “leave the door open” to a run for president, a lot of folks seem prepared to follow him through it.

“I’m just going to wait and see what happens,” Thompson told Fox News Sunday, mentioning that open door.

What happened for the rest of the day was a cascade of Republican support, especially in Tennessee, and a worry among some Democrats that Thompson could be the “star” the GOP ticket is lacking.

The prospect of a Thompson presidential candidacy thrilled Tennessee Republicans, who described him as “Reagan-esque.”

“He’s the one American who could bring this country together,” Tennessee Republican Party Chairman Bob Davis said Sunday. Davis was one of Thompson’s top Senate aides.[/quote]

fairviewobserver.com/apps/pb … 321/MTCN06

A Southerner…very smart (a hell of a lot smarter than Gore)…folksy charm…I think he would carry the South (including his home state of Tennessee unlike Gore :smiling_imp: ) and large sections of the West and Midwest.

I think a Thompson-Rice ticket would be a great choice for the Repubs, and the ticket would have no problem defeating a a Dem ticket led by Ms. Clinton or Obama.

The best thing is that he plays the hick CIA officer in the last few bond films, except for the most recent one, i can’t comment cuz i haven’t seen it. But in those timothy dalton films, he is pure 100 carat comedy gold.

edit: my bad. It’s the law and order guy. Gettin’ my hicks confused again. Who is that CIA officer guy? he gets my vote, anyways

Dude looks like Vigo.

… well, Vigo’s a lot skinnier and hairier.

But I’d vote for Vigo too. And his unholy painting

[quote=“lurkky”]The best thing is that he plays the hick CIA officer in the last few bond films, except for the most recent one, i can’t comment cuz i haven’t seen it. But in those timothy dalton films, he is pure 100 carat comedy gold.

edit: my bad. It’s the law and order guy. Gettin’ my hicks confused again. Who is that CIA officer guy? he gets my vote, anyways[/quote]

You’re thinking about Joe Don Baker.

us.imdb.com/name/nm0000833/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Dalton_Thompson

lawyer, actor, former senator.

when I first saw him in C-Span after watching days of thunder or something like that, i remember doing a double-take and wondering if they were filming in the Senate! doh!

Marie (1985)
No Way Out (1987)
Feds (1988)
Fat Man and Little Boy (1989)
The Hunt for Red October (1990)
Days of Thunder (1990)
Die Hard 2: Die Harder (1990)
Flight of the Intruder (1991) (uncredited)
Class Action (1991)
Necessary Roughness (1991)
Curly Sue (1991)
Cape Fear (1991)
Aces: Iron Eagle III (1992)
Thunderheart (1992)
White Sands (1992) (uncredited)
Born Yesterday (1993)
In the Line of Fire (1993)
Barbarians at the Gate (1993)
Baby’s Day Out (1994)
Celsius 41.11 (2004)
Racing Stripes (2005, voice)
Last Best Chance (2005)
Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World (2005)

Ahh, the forgettable series Iron Eagle with Gossett Jr. trying to revive his played out character in Officer and a Gentleman.
:slight_smile:

Thompson is pretty solid and a straight talker.

Dr. E. -]You might also want to look at Duncan Hunter out of California.

He’s increasing in visibility.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Thompson is pretty solid and a straight talker.

Dr. E. -]You might also want to look at Duncan Hunter out of California.

He’s increasing in visibility.[/quote]

I dare say the rest of us in the English speakig world will very much relish a new yank president called Dunc Hunter. A pity it wasn’t Hunt, but close enough and hell, you can’t have everything.

HG

And one of his close friends/contributors/advisors (until the news came out and he was forced to drop him) is a former coke dealer, bookie, fraudulent scam artist and tax evader. That can’t be good for the campaign.

[quote]Following revelations that an adviser and top fundraiser to Fred Thompson’s presidential campaign had a history as a drug dealer, bookie and reluctant taxpayer, that adviser resigned, according to a statement released by the Thompson campaign.

News accounts Sunday reported Martin had been convicted of or pleaded guilty to charges involving cocaine and marijuana dealing and bookmaking in the 1970s and 80s.

Martin was an adviser to Thompson since early this year, even before the former Republican senator officially announced his candidacy. Martin helped raise $6 million in pledged donations and traveled with Thompson to campaign events.

Martin, whom Thompson has called a close and longtime friend, has faced numerous lawsuits from investors who say they lost money in his shuttered companies, which number in the dozens.

Several of Martin’s former businesses also face tax debts nearing $1 million, dating from the period Martin helped run the companies. The Internal Revenue Service and the state of Tennessee filed liens against Martin himself in 1995 and 2002.

Martin, who lives in a $2.4 million home on a secluded island in the Gulf of Mexico, has donated over $70,000 to GOP candidates and groups since 1993, including $6,000 to Thompson.

Thompson’s campaign paid Martin for the use of his private jet to fly the candidate, his family and advisers around the country. But the campaign reimbursed Martin for a fraction of the typical price of a charter flight . . .[/quote]
abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story … 766&page=1

Here’s an old photo of his pal.

In other amusing news, Richard Nixon once called Fred Thomson “dumb as hell.”

man when I looked at the title of this thread, I got elated knowing the moment of excitement has arrived. So I opened the thread knowing what everyone was excited about. Was disappointed in not seeing a single post alluding to Fred Thompson’s wife.

She certainly is better looking than him. But, then, she is 24 years younger (he’s 64; she’s 40).

She certainly is better looking than him. But, then, she is 24 years younger (he’s 64; she’s 40).
[/quote]

Hmm. I could be wrong here, but their faces seem to read as follows:

Fred’s: “Yeah, boiiiiiiiiiiii; high-five me, high-five me!!”

Fred’s Wife: “I thought I told you not to touch me in public!”

Fred who?

[quote]
"Paul sets one-day fund-raising mark

Ron Paul ended up smashing the record for money raised in one day by a Republican presidential hopeful.

Through an ambitious online push on Monday, his campaign brought in more than $4 million, surpassing the $3.1 million that former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney raised on Jan. 8. . . .[/quote]

Tainan Cowboy, you can donate [color=blue]here.[/color]

Ron Paul has become the standard against whom the other candidates are measured.

I.e., whenever their funding dips below Ron Paul’s, you know they’re basically out of the race.

[color=green]PAUL/KUCINICH - 2008!
[/color]

…yeah…thats the ticket…

Ron Paul is the only one worth considering.

I hope he gets the nomination.

On the basis of what? Why vote for Ron Paul?

[/quote]

Fred Thompson married Courtney Love?

Personally I like his views on the US Constitution. However on matters of foreign affairs the man is a raving nutter.

Ross Perot redux with splitting the vote. IMO, a vote for him is nothing more than empty symbolism.

He does seem to be the favorite of a great many non-Americans.