Free admission to the National Palace Museum...but ARC holders excluded

How is that not racist?[/quote]

Because they don’t restrict by race, but by nationality?

Nationalism!

I have visited it twice, and I would visit it more often (probably with my sketchbook) if I could enter for free. I love all the stuff they have there, specially many of the paintings and ink drawings.

If you need signatures, count on mine.

I asked them in person about two months ago (though was actually seeing some other exhibition and not trying to get in). The lady behind the ticket counter said that my ARC card was not eligible.

It’s not racist…how can it be racist? Racist would be saying all ethnic Han get in for free. Yer man Poagao can walk right in with his ID card.

I asked them in person about two months ago (though was actually seeing some other exhibition and not trying to get in). The lady behind the ticket counter said that my ARC card was not eligible.[/quote]

Ok. She was probably clueless. I would need a little more than this before I went on the letter campaign rampage.

That said, if this is policy then I am happy to lend my support and also talk to the other travel writers in Taiwan I know. We succeeded a couple years back to get Yushan National Park to stop with extra charging for foreigners so I think there is a good chance this will also succeed.

Taiwanese view themselves as a race onto themselves, even though many dislike the other groups.

Poagao is such a small exception I’m sure the palace Museum probably only sees once a year.

Was there a few weeks ago. Sign outside - in English - said residents. Tried to use my ARC, but lady refused. Went down to take photo of sign, went back up, showed lady, she made some phone calls, came back and said “error in translation”. Free entrance only for citizens.
Very annoying.

[quote=“SleeplessInTaipei”]Was there a few weeks ago. Sign outside - in English - said residents. Tried to use my ARC, but lady refused. Went down to take photo of sign, went back up, showed lady, she made some phone calls, came back and said “error in translation”. Free entrance only for citizens.
Very annoying.[/quote]

“You hafu APRC? Wercome to Taiwan, I will show you famous night market snack! We so fliendly to foleigna!”

:fume: :fume:

Look at the big picture: ROC citizens and residents who once enjoyed access to this great world heritage collection, now have to contend with hordes of shouting, gesticulating, expectorating crowds during normal operating hours. The management has obviously not considered, we, the temporary, non-Han residents, when creating a policy to appease the ROC-resident Han, and separating them from the PRC-resident Han.

It’s not a racist policy, just another bureaucratic oversight.

It should be fought tooth and bone though: tooth and bone. Bureaucratic oversights should never be tolerated, nor accepted as acceptable policy.

How much is it anyway? Used to cost really not a whole lot back in the day. And used to be so quiet in there you could steal a kiss or two with the GF. I guess the experience is very different now? If its more like a night market then maybe you only go once anyways?

Feeding time at the zoo.

Quiet?!? There’s hordes of tourists (mainly pushy PRC tourists) and long lines to some of the exhibition. It’s like mini-PRC with all the PRC Chinese tourists there!

I got in for free a bunch of times back some years ago. They wouldn’t take my ARC because it wasn’t one of the accepted forms of ID, but they were happy to let me in with my NHI card. :idunno:

Was there today: Taiwan citizens now 150NT; foreigners with NHI card that has more than one letter in front of the numbers have to pay the full price. (Taiwan) students were free today.

Did not get an answer when I asked how this was fair.

[quote=“xtrain”]Was there today: Taiwan citizens now 150NT; foreigners with NHI card that has more than one letter in front of the numbers have to pay the full price. (Taiwan) students were free today.

Did not get an answer when I asked how this was fair.[/quote]

Of course it’s fair you stupid Adoga. You’re a foreigner and we treat you well enough. Besides, you will leave soon anyways. That means you are the same as a tourist.

All Residents must be treated equal! I have a APRC. I can never get citizenship while my wife and children can have Taiwanese citizenship and as many other passports as they’d like to pick up. I pay taxes

Wait, Poagao, you are a western Taiwanese who gave up his citizenship, right. I might do the same… but not yet. Most civilized countries treat all legal residents equally.

I have absolutely no interest in museums so they can charge whatever they want… but I don’t like their attitude.

Anyone want to do a mass email/letter campaign to the bigwigs at the museum? Complaining to the chick at the counter wont help because she will never tell the higher ups what you said.

The letters would need to be addressed to the people on this list
http://www.npm.gov.tw/en/Article.aspx?sNo=02000049

I have located the Director’s email address. Please PM me if you’d like to get involved in persuading her to change this misguided policy.

My mother and one of her sisters (both Taiwanese) had mentioned to me before that foreigners can get in for free (or maybe it was a discount?) by showing their respective foreign passport. Never tested it so YMMV.