Free chihuahua!

One of our students found a chihuahua near his school. Its been two weeks, I’ve passed out flyers and no one has come to claim her. I already have 2 dogs myself, so I can’t keep her.

The doctor said she is about 2 years old, she has a slight limp on her back leg and she has breathing problems when shes scared. It looks as though she might have been pregnant at one time, but she isn’t right now.
She really is a great dog, very affectionate. I live in Jhunan (near Hsinchu), but if anyone anywhere in Taiwan is interested I will meet up with you wherever you are. I want to make sure she goes to a good home.

If it helps Ill throw in the outfit!

Great that you’re helping this dog.

You may want to ask for an adoption fee, though. In my experience, the biggest adoption nightmares have come from those we paid to take an animal and those where no adoption fee was paid.

An adoption fee ensures the adopter values and can support the animal.

Best of luck!

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Great that you’re helping this dog.

You may want to ask for an adoption fee, though. In my experience, the biggest adoption nightmares have come from those we paid to take an animal and those where no adoption fee was paid.

An adoption fee ensures the adopter values and can support the animal.

Best of luck![/quote]

I Agree, i did it one time and the new owner came all the way from Tainan to Hsinchu to pick up the dog

Can’t you get her out of that ridiculous outfit? Maybe she has breathing problems because it is too hot to be wearing a winter coat.

Oh, Bababa, the clothes are for the night, as small doggies suffer from cold -they are extremely sensitive to temperature changes. Last week was rainy, too.

OP says breathing problems happen when she gets excited, which could be any number of issues, all solvable.

And cute outfits are the reason we luv small doggies. :smiley: The first clothes I got Toto had angel wings -they were the cheapest.

Tracheal collapse. Inward pressure from rapid breathing (excitement, fear, exercise) causes weak tracheal rings to collapse (remember Bernoulli’s principle from school?). Not life threatening, but supposedly it will shorten lifespan by aggravating heart conditions later on in life.

Vet said 90% of chihuahuas had it, supposedly. When I first got my little dog, she would cough when she ran around. Tried not to her get too out of breath while she was still growing so the airway wouldn’t collapse/used a harness instead of a collar/and chose dry food with glucosamine and chondroitin mixed in. Haven’t seen it happen again.

At two though, it’s probably too late for anything except stenting to really resolve the issue, but that’s quite pricey ($110,000 was “amazingly cheap”, apparently, with no vets doing it in Taiwan)

Not that it’s really much of an issue if it only happens when she’s scared.

Is she separation anxious? Is she toilet trained? Does she bark? Why don’t you want to keep her?

[quote=“einstein84”]One of our students found a chihuahua near his school. Its been two weeks, I’ve passed out flyers and no one has come to claim her. I already have 2 dogs myself, so I can’t keep her.

[/quote]
A chihuahua hardly counts as a dog. Can’t cost much for food. Keep her!
Of course, the outfits might get a little pricey.

It’s a good point about the outfit. While some dogs do need extra help during cold, it’s not a good idea to promote a dog adoption by dressing the little guy up in cute clothes. While it may get the dog more attention, it will be from the wrong kind of people. Not everyone is as dedicated as Icon, and one of the biggest problems is that people see dogs as toys–which they can throw away once the novelty wears off. Better for the chihuahua to attract the kind of person who sees a dog as a dog.

With that in mind, the SPCA doesn’t promote any outfits for animals that aren’t necessary for their health or protection.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]It’s a good point about the outfit. While some dogs do need extra help during cold, it’s not a good idea to promote a dog adoption by dressing the little guy up in cute clothes. While it may get the dog more attention, it will be from the wrong kind of people. Not everyone is as dedicated as Icon, and one of the biggest problems is that people see dogs as toys–which they can throw away once the novelty wears off. Better for the chihuahua to attract the kind of person who sees a dog as a dog.

With that in mind, the SPCA doesn’t promote any outfits for animals that aren’t necessary for their health or protection.[/quote]

Arguably, all the dogs in our society today are “toys”, apart from a very small minority who are working dogs. If we saw them as true animals we wouldn’t want to coop them up in our houses and tie them down with us.

Promoting a no pets policy or very very strict government on pet ownership in my opinion is the only way to resolve stray dog and cat issues, not hoping people will believe in responsible pet ownership. There’s just too much leeway currently for people to not be particularly responsible.

[quote=“lupillus”][quote=“Stray Dog”]It’s a good point about the outfit. While some dogs do need extra help during cold, it’s not a good idea to promote a dog adoption by dressing the little guy up in cute clothes. While it may get the dog more attention, it will be from the wrong kind of people. Not everyone is as dedicated as Icon, and one of the biggest problems is that people see dogs as toys–which they can throw away once the novelty wears off. Better for the chihuahua to attract the kind of person who sees a dog as a dog.

With that in mind, the SPCA doesn’t promote any outfits for animals that aren’t necessary for their health or protection.[/quote]

Arguably, all the dogs in our society today are “toys”, apart from a very small minority who are working dogs. If we saw them as true animals we wouldn’t want to coop them up in our houses and tie them down with us.

Promoting a no pets policy or very very strict government on pet ownership in my opinion is the only way to resolve stray dog and cat issues, not hoping people will believe in responsible pet ownership. There’s just too much leeway currently for people to not be particularly responsible.[/quote]

People who see dogs as toys are more likely to give them up when it’s no longer convenient to keep them. The majority of people I know (and adopt to) see the animal as an animal and learn to treat him or her as such. I’m confident they will not give up their responsibility readily.

[quote=“Stray Dog”][quote=“lupillus”][quote=“Stray Dog”]It’s a good point about the outfit. While some dogs do need extra help during cold, it’s not a good idea to promote a dog adoption by dressing the little guy up in cute clothes. While it may get the dog more attention, it will be from the wrong kind of people. Not everyone is as dedicated as Icon, and one of the biggest problems is that people see dogs as toys–which they can throw away once the novelty wears off. Better for the chihuahua to attract the kind of person who sees a dog as a dog.

Promoting a no pets policy or very very strict government on pet ownership in my opinion is the only way to resolve stray dog and cat issues, not hoping people will believe in responsible pet ownership. There’s just too much leeway currently for people to not be particularly responsible.[/quote]

People who see dogs as toys are more likely to give them up when it’s no longer convenient to keep them. The majority of people I know (and adopt to) see the animal as an animal and learn to treat him or her as such. I’m confident they will not give up their responsibility readily.[/quote]

Yeah, but dogs are still a “recreational item”. That’s why so many of them exist right now. That’s why so many are dumped/recycled/dumped/killed/etc. What’s so wrong with our society that we have to confine animals within our living space to fill our empty hearts? You’ve got to admit, the whole premise is kind of mean and unnecessary.

Why would anyone keep a dog, if not for purely selfish reasons? (companionship, love)

lupillus, I think you’re just stating your own opinion of how to regard animals. For most of the people I know, the dog is cared for as an individual, with individual needs. I don’t see them dressing their dogs up or abandoning them.

You believe they’re recreational items, and I don’t. I understand that they enhance our lives, and there are great benefits to having dogs, but I’m sure the people I know don’t think that makes them a commodity to dispose of or maltreat as they see fit.

[The point being here that we need to encourage those who do see animals as recreational items to understand otherwise.]

Thank you everyone for your replies, emails, advice, criticism, etc…
Im new to forumosa and still trying to find time to figure out this site (im not a computer person).

Anyways, in response to some of your posts:
@straydog & omerojs-
Thank you for ur suggestion, that makes a lot of sence. I do feel uncomfortable selling her, but I can see how it would help her get adopted by a more responsible person. I brought my dogs from Korea so Im not too familiar with the costs, etc… of pets here. May I ask, what is a resonable price to ask for?

@bababa-
lol. I only put it on her for 2 min. to take the picture. her breathing problems were not caused by the outfit.

@icon-
thank you, although, thats not why I did it. I do agree with u though, small animals are great for dressing! ^^ seeing her put a smile on my face!

@lupillus & bababa- first of all, thank you lupillus, I didnt know all that information about chihuahuas. living in the countryside the vets, well they just dont know English. lol . my chinese is horrible so i havent been able to get a lot of information. so thank you. oh and to both of you: there are too many reason(s) why i can’t/won’t keep her (not enough time, dogs dont like her, etc… ) but i dont want to get too much into it. i just cant.

@straydog & lupillus- ummm thank you for that advice. I did hope that taking her picture in that outfit would help get her a home. i can see both of your sides but umm im not gonna get into that. lol. each (wo)man has their own opinion and I respect both of yours. Ill take what you said into consideration.

I got mine because he would have most probably died otherwise. :unamused: And no, sorry, but I also don’t have an empty heart. Quite the opposite, in fact, and it is of course enhanced but certainly not ONLY filled with a slobbering 90 pounds of clumsy canine.

The SPCA asks NT$2,500 minimum adoption fee for a dog, but NT$3,500 for purebreds, and that includes everything a responsible owner would need to do anyway: neuter op, vaccinations, microchip, deflea, and deworm.

If anyone baulks at that, then they’ve failed the adoption interview.

Having said that, if the animal is going to someone trusted, and has issues, you could consider asking less or nothing, but agree that all those responsibilities would be taken care of (though you would really have to know the other people are genuine).

At least we are not doing this:

[quote=“Icon”]At least we are not doing this:

[/quote]

…YET!

Don’t misunderestimate the love for a Chihuahua…

[quote=“einstein84”][quote=“Icon”]At least we are not doing this:

[/quote]

…YET![/quote]

Well, I don’t drive a scooter!

And TC, that’s teh right way to do it: with a helmet! :wink:

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“einstein84”][quote=“Icon”]At least we are not doing this:

[/quote]

…YET![/quote]

[/quote]
At least this dog looks happy, which is more than I can say for the chihuahua in the pink bunny ears.