Free Chinese Lessons with PeggyLee on Youtube

Hey guys,
I have uploaded a new video last night. Please check it out and see if it has improved. Well I think it did; greeting in Chinese, making it as short as possible, straight to the point and plus Chinese captions.

I’ve got a rather different one coming out tonight or tomorrow. I hope to still get some support from you all. :slight_smile:
Thank you very much!

youtube.com/watch?v=XRZPTF4y … annel_page

For 大家好 you wrote the pinyin for 家 as fourth tone. Isn’t it jiā?
For 安 you wrote the pinyin as fifth (neutral) tone. Isn’t it ān?

Hi, thanks so much for pointing that out. I just fixed it although it doesn’t look too good.

Well as for An, it is the 1st tone, just as in ㄅㄆㄇㄈ, there is no intonation mark when it comes to 1st tone. Like ㄅㄚ as in 巴. The 5th tone would be ㄅㄚ˙ as in 吧.

Thanks again! I will be more careful next time. :slight_smile:

I understand there is no intonation mark when it comes to 1st tone using ㄅㄆㄇㄈ, but for 漢語拼音 the first tone must be shown. Keep up the good work. :slight_smile:

Yeah, you were right the about the Pinyin thing.

I will try my best to keep up the good work. Xie Xie! :slight_smile:

Hey guys, I got another new lesson uploaded on YouTube.
Check it out and again feel free to post any comment or criticism. Thanks! :wink:

Peggy

That was nice. (the second one up, the last one isn’t available)

I find the different colors a bit distracting though. I would go with orthographic spelling as well. 1st MA, 2nd mA, 3rd ma, 4th Ma, 5th ma*. It helps people to understand that the tone is integral to the word and not something tacked on top or onto the end. Exagerate the tones a bit in the beginning. Do the “air tones” every time, and make sure that you are doing them “in time” with your voice, and make sure that they are completely distinct from each other.

You should gradually expand on the repetoire at the beginning. I’d go with something like DaJIA hao, HUANyinG huI laI , JINTIAN wo Yao JIAO ni zhen me* jiang…

At the end Xie Xie. Xia li Bai Jian.

Say exactly the same thing every time for quite awhile so that people actually learn it.

You were probably smart to ignore half the stuff I said in that last post.

Hey Bob,
Thanks again for taking so much time writing down all these.
Let me explain why I haven’t adopted all the suggestions you have posted and I’m sorry if I make you feel I was ignoring them.

I do think the idea of greeting and ending a lesson in Chinese is very helpful, which is why in my two videos this weekend, I opened up with “Da4 Jia1 Hao3”, but I’ve felt like to explain whatever I have to say in a lesson so I didn’t think beginning with too many of them is feasible. So I decided to, as you said, gradually expanding some more words as repertoire every weekends and plus explanation. And you were right about as the students listen to me repeat the same phrase in every video, they just pick it up unconsciously.
Therefore, thanks for contributing this great idea! :wink:

I understand the whole confusion with Pinyin but the ones I use are from a dictionary on internet. The Pinyin system has been argued on the various versions confusion and it has never been considered to be a very good system linguistically. But many language centers are teaching Chinese with Pinyin system and I have to confess with my getting around with ㄅㄆㄇㄈ system since it takes too much time.

As for the orthographic spelling part, I’m afraid I won’t be able to apply it thanks to the limited space of the screen. I’ve been trying to make the captions as easily understandable and short as possible so it doesn’t look too complicated.

Also, like I said, I did try to make everything as simple as I could. The color of animated captions is beyond my control because of the software I’m using. I’ll see if I can find a better available software to edit my videos.

Again, thanks so much for all the comments and suggestions. Some of them are surely feasible and are great ones. Please try to comment on my YouTube channel if you can, that would be appreciated. Thanks! :slight_smile:

I just got a look at the second link. That’s cute. I think you will become quite good at this. Just make sure that you use Chinese as much as possible, teach things that you want to be able to use with your students and use them, and try to be more disciplined about doing the air tones very clearly, and with almost every word you speak.

PINYIN these days is the system that almost all serious students use. You could learn it in a very short time because you already know how to speak the language. You probably feel a liitle resentful about the need to learn this but you do need to learn it. If you do a search under pinyin chats you might find a place to practice.

Oh, “what” is sheNme* or shen2me5 (sheNme* is a lot better actually)

Peggy, I think that what you are doing is great! :bravo: I wish I would have had access to videos like these while I was still living in Taiwan.

Thank you! I will keep trying. :slight_smile:
Please support me by subscribing to my channel and spread words to those who would like to learn Chinese for this free resource!

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Hey guys,
I just uploaded a new lesson on YouTube. I’ve been trying to add some situational scenario in my vidoes. I think it is a pretty good one. Take a look and please support me by rating/commenting/subscribing to my vidoes. Thanks alot! :slight_smile:

Peggy

Wow.

You have a kind of gangsta jive going on there that might ultimately be a hinderance to all the things you are going to have to include as this becomes more developed, but, despite myself, I like it.

You are doing the tone gestures more clearly. Fantastic. Though they were “alot” better in the beginning than the end. Tones are one of the most difficult things for people studying Chinese. It might take a while for you to really get a feel for the fact that you need to indicate them precisely, every time. Very few Chinese/Taiwanese seem to be willing or able to do that. You seem to have a good musical sense so perhaps one way to think of it is as a sort of music lesson. In English the music comes perhaps more from the rhythm than the tone contours, while in Chinese the opposite is true. Anyway, that is my impression and when I started to think that way my Chinese improved.

I hope you structure this progressively so that in the first lesson you teach things that you are going to “use” in the second lesson and in the second you “use” what you taught and teach things that you are going to use in the third so that in the third you are using stuff from both previous lessons etc, so that the classes gradually come to be entirely in Chinese.

You will know you have arrived when you start using Chinse to teach Chinese.

There is one sort of awkward thing though…

Honestly your wardrobe is, let’s say “distracting”. You are an attractive young woman but if you want to be regarded as a teacher you will definitely need to tone that down. I think you should. You have the potential to be a great teacher, IMHO.

Thanks alot, Bob!
You’ve really got some good ideas there! :sunglasses:

I will keep trying and hope to gradually have all the feasible suggestions realized.

Peggy

Yup. I believe you will. You will incorporate the feasibale suggestions and add a dozen nobody has thought of yet. In the meantime though, focus on the essentials. Do the air tones slowly and distinctly. Don’t teach anything that you aren’t planning to recycle in future lessons.

Do those things, and you’ve got a hit.

Haha I’m not so sure I think what you wear is a problem, but I suppose it did distract me somewhat from the learning chinese part of the video. But without regard to that you do have a very good teaching style, very enjoyable to listen to.

One suggestion I have is that you have a lesson where you discuss the 4 tones (if you do already forgive my ignorance), I started learning chinese by studying nothing but the tones for a few weeks and I think it helped tremendously down the road. Keep it up and good luck!

Hi drvelocity,
I did the tone lesson in my second video titled as “How to say hello in Chinese and Chinese tones”, check it out. :wink:

Thank you for watching my vidoes. :slight_smile: Please spread the words about this free resource, I do need more traffic on my channel. Thanks!

Thanks for hte suggestion bob. I look forward to checking this out closer over the weekend. :thumbsup:

Our new lesson this week is ON!!!

https://www.youtube.com/peggyteacheschinese

In this week’s lesson, there are two related videos. Make sure you watch two of them! And don’t forget to subscribe/rate/comment for me. :slight_smile: Ooh and hey one last thing, spread the word! :sunglasses:

Thanks alot!

Peggy