Free international calling! Skype

www.skype.com

this is the the revolutionary P2P VoIP, a disruptive technology that’s going to replace the plain old telephone system as we know it.

ax

Ax, this technology has been around for at least 5 years. Your MSN messenger can do the same thing.

no alley…
according to what I read…
it ain’t the same…
Skype provide lucid sound…
no other messenger in town can beat…it’s made by the guy from kazaa

ax

VoIP will never be succesfull unless it can guarantee QoS (Quality of Service). Such protocols are not in use yet (part of IPv6) AFAIK, as such you can’t rely on any current voice service which runs over the public internet.
Did hear good things about Skype though, might try it out later just for the fun of it …

it doesn’t need much setup… just plug in and you play…all you need is mic and a speaker…I’ve called a guy in rural area in Indonesia, and the voice is not breaking a bit…Have spoken to a guy in Japan and Hongkong too…it works just great…you feel it…the QoS, QoS,

But doesn’t skype require that the person you’re calling also use it? At first I thought it was like Delta Three, net2phone, etc. Or did I miss something?

It was still a baby…the guy from kazaa said, it’s going to be that way… it’s going tobe pc to phone and conference call soon…
we just give them sometime, but I don’t know if it will still be free then…

ax

Yep, it’s strictly Skype to Skype with no access to the public phone networks.

If you want real VoIP you can get it from a few different companies in the US. Two I’m familiar with are www.packet8.com. I have used Vonage for about one year. I have a phone number in San Jose (408 area code) so my friends back there can reach me with a local phone call. I have a small VoIP box that connects to my ADSL line’s router which has a phone jack in the back you can hook up a normal phone to. (You can get router boxes for NT1000 and up at various 3C stores or Kuanghua shopping area in Taipei if you don’t have one on your line.) I can pick up the line and dial any number just like I’m in the US and anyone in the US can call me as a domestic call. I use So-Net as my ISP and sound quality is very good, and there’s only a little delay (not much more than regular international calls). I’m probably going to switch to packer8 soon, because it is cheaper for my calling patterns, and I believe they will ship stuff internationally unlike Vonage.

you still pay for voIP, be it vonage, or seednet…
what’s better than free phone…
go for skype…

ax

I downloaded skype last week and I am very happy. So easy and cheap; a few minutes downloading the free software from www.skype.com and plugging a NT$55 microphone into my beast had me set up with free calls to my computer-owning friends.
Screw the telephone companies - they’ve been treating us like KTV bitches for far too long.

Where does Skype make its money? Is it another Kazaa system, where they install spyware on your machine? It’s written by the same people who did that crap.

MaPo wrote: [quote]Where does Skype make its money?[/quote]

I assume they want to hook faithful potential customers with their free computer-to-computer service then make money from the computer-to-telephone service that will be introduced later this year.

My Swedish friend told me that the Skype folks were previously known to be big into spyware stuff. That turned me off to them.

It looks good though.

OK, here we go:

1. Skype is different from standard VoIP technology because it works on a peer to peer system. I have no idea how MSN does it, but this way minimizes possible data loss; it basically records what you say, splits it into smaller files, and sends them peer to peer, all in realtime. At least I /think/ that’s how it works. I can’t quite remember. But in a half-hour conversation I lost maybe a total of 1 second worth of incoming voice to data corruption/loss.
  2. Currently it’s basically a voice IM program, Skype to Skype only. There are plans to launch a Skype to phone service later this year, which will be charged. That’ll be where they make their money.
  3. No spyware. Checked it, double checked it. Adaware draws blanks, no suspicious attempts at outward connection detected by Kerio Firewall, Spybot comes up empty.
  4. The sound quality is phenomenally good, no noticable difference between Skype and phones. And minimal lag too, which is good. But do NOT try and use it on anything less than DSL. I tried it on dialup once a few months ago - the lag was almost a minute each way. DSL or higher, lag doesn’t come into it.

try stanaphone.com for free international phone calls.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]OK, here we go:

1. Skype is different from standard VoIP technology because it works on a peer to peer system. I have no idea how MSN does it, but this way minimizes possible data loss; it basically records what you say, splits it into smaller files, and sends them peer to peer, all in realtime. At least I /think/ that’s how it works. I can’t quite remember.[/quote]
    I think this would actually decrease reliability; there would be delays on each step and from/to each “peer”. It may do something with multiple computers to arrange the connection, but for actually transferring the voice data, a point-to-point single connection should be faster and safer.

The adware-checkers would only work if they KNEW about the spyware; they can only look for signatures that they are aware of. The firewall is probably the best indicator. However, the program could save the information until you make a call, at which point it would transfer it all out along with the call data.

I noticed on Skype’s website that they have a Linux version available for testing. A “Knoppix” variant – Skypix? – would be pretty safe, as long as you only ran it while actually making calls. I’m going to have to get serious about learning how to remaster Morphix RSN.

I could be wrong on my description. I’ll take a look around and see what I can find.

True, but Skype’s been around for months and months now, plenty of time for the spyware to have been detected and for Lavasoft et. al. to have included it in their lists.

Not free to NZ or Australia, so it rapidly lost my interest.

Not free to NZ or Australia, so it rapidly lost my interest.[/quote]

I found some bloke that was using it from NZ. I can’t remember what keywords I used for google.