FREE Stanford Education!? Robert Sapolsky's Human Behavioral Biology

“Here’s a question the answer to which will support my position.”

It irritates me. I think it’s because it’s leading the witness as it were.

1 Like

There are better ways to ask questions for sure. I prefer open ended questions, like, “What would you say if I told you that…?”

Part Three: Behavioral Evolution II

The class intentionally doesn’t have any prerequisites so more students can take it. So yeah, it’s not going to be crazy in depth. But I also think that makes it very approachable. But it doesn’t have any shortage of cool facts, because all the material is illustrated with real animal groups and studies.

Oh sure. He is a very engaging lecturer. I agree with you on the facts, to a point. The chimp studies about kinship and relationship building is fascinating. I actually witnessed something har akin to it last night off my deck. I saw a deer eating in the field behind the house at dusk. I usually go out there and say hi, whistle and make my presence known. So I did and the dummy wouldn’t even turn a tail at me. She stared across the field though, and when I looked, I saw the rest of the female herd and THEY were looking at me. So the one looked to the many to get a sense of wth was going on with all the foot stomping and catcalls.

However, when he says that friggin single celled bacteria exhibit similar cooperative behavioral patterns as hoomans, meh. A mention in a lecture isn’t enough for that. The simple minded will walk away thinking bacteria and people behave the same way and my guess is that when you really examine what he’s referencing, all the fun will drop out the bottom.

I will have to rewatch that part b4 moving on to part 3.

1 Like

Part Four: Molecular Genetics I

Part Five: Molecular Genetics II

Now, this thread is cool. I’ve been too busy to give it the time it deserves.

1 Like

Part Six: Behavioral Genetics I

I often feel I missed my true calling, I should have been a cat psychologist.

2 Likes